Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum I currently own a 07 Yamaha FJR1300ae, I want a Gold Wing but can't afford a new one at this time, I know I want the 1800 w/ nav. What is the oldest year and what can I expect to pay?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Navi came out in 06 you can get one for around $15,000. But if your buying it for the NAVI, don't. It not a good system and the maps are way outdated and I think it cost a lot to update them. Your better off to buy a base model 1800 Gold Wing and add your own GPS, You can get a great GPS for around $250.00 that's does everything you will need and updates are cheaper. But still try to get an 06 or newer. You can probably find some great deals on used Wings now.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Joe is correct, early model NAV are based on a format that is no longer supported. So, updates for the maps are a problem. I have a Garmin nuvi 680 that does everything I need. Good luck and hope you find the Wing of your dreams.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is the GPS on the 08 any better. I plan on picking up a 08 Black Navi ABS model tomorrow and would like to know if I should plan on getting a second GPS unit as well. Also how is the XM radio on the Goldwing?

Sorry to steal post:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nav system

I beg to differ with you guys that are trashing the nav system. I must have a gem or they have improved over the past couple of years. I have a 2010 with Nav and I absolutley love my nav system. It does everything I want it to and then some. My wife's 2006 Toyota Camera has a nav system that I was very pleased with but the one on my Wing is superior. I do not know about the nav systems on the earlier model wings but my 2010 is very very good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Navi came out in 06 you can get one for around $15,000. But if your buying it for the NAVI, don't. It not a good system and the maps are way outdated and I think it cost a lot to update them. Your better off to buy a base model 1800 Gold Wing and add your own GPS, You can get a great GPS for around $250.00 that's does everything you will need and updates are cheaper. But still try to get an 06 or newer. You can probably find some great deals on used Wings now.
I probably won't buy anything older than a 06, are you saying don't waste my money on a bike with a navi system or is it just the 06 with navi?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Pat: the most recent models ('09-'10) have a better nav package than the earlier ones, although not sure about '08's. Pretty much everything else has been covered by other posts above. Like all machines, there is lots to get to know and then love with the more time you spend with your new ride. I don't know why there is glitches with the nav program as it is a Garmin base. Honda's automotive system sucks also. My wife drives an Acura RL and my little Garmin 295 portable ($695) from my airplane blows it away!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Forget the nav but buy it for the ABS braking system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love the ABS braking system on my '08'. Tried out the Nav unit but didn't get into too heavy as I was enjoying the ride :)

I did notice that so far all the streets near me were on the GPS unit

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nav

I would recommend just the opposite, get the Nav and forget the ABS. The wing already has a computer assisted braking system that redistributes the braking depending on whether you engage the front or back brake. If you engage the front the system will redistribute some of the braking to the rear and vis a vesa.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts