Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change the brakes on my 08 next week ( Non-ABS ). I've changed the pads on my VTX and it is self-explanatory and intuitive: remove lower pin, remove pad, and reinstall. I'll get the service manual, I promise, but prior to that , is changing the pads the same simple proceedure ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have an '08 and haven't done mine yet but, yes, pretty straight forward from what I have read. I have even seen pictures of the steps on either this website or the gl1800riders.com site. When you do it make sure you clean the pistons with brake fluid before squeezing them back into the caliper. Be sure not to grab the brake lever during the process.

I forgot to add that from what I have read most get about 30K miles on the pads minimum. You must really be doing some riding.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red Ron: The bike has only 10,200 miles on it, 200 of those miles I put on. I'm not paranoid I just want to start fresh. Damn pads cost $170.00. They will be going on for that price. Cleaning the pistons before you reseat them back into the caliper makes good sense. I did not consider that. Tanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts