Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the main reasons for my move to New Mexico was to be able to ride year round. The weather and the ability to go from dessert to mountains make this area ideal for riding. The traffic in most areas is minimal to non existent. On 5/5/12 a Friday I took a day off from work. I had rode several hundred miles the day before to Littlefield Texas and got a room for two days. The place I stayed was the Crescent Inn in Littlefield. It was an unassuming 50s style motel and the owner was a gracious person letting me have a late check out on the day I would be getting back from my ride.
I planned my ride to coincide with close to a full moon to help with the night riding. I had adapted an auxiliary tank an additional 3.5 gallons that was set up with a switched activated solenoid to open the line and feed the main tank. I started the ride at 6:00 Am and had 24 hours to complete 1500 miles. The ability to do 80 miles an hour in Texas assisted in my ability to cover a large area over most of the ride. Stops were kept down to 10 minutes or less when possible. The sun was shining and the temps were a manageable 95 degrees with very low humidity.
I was going for the Iron Butt Associations Texas 1000 miles in 24 hours and the 1500 miles in 24 hours. One ride but two patches, but it was not an easy ride. The last 130 miles were grueling, the return to the starting point. At a little after 430 am I cam rolling in to the Litttlefield Gas Station to refuel and get my receipt. I returned to my hotel slept two hours and started my 200 miles ride home to Roswell.
The Goldwing was well suited for this ride. It was my first IB on this bike. My others were on the Triumph Rocket III ...night and day of a difference. The wind protection, electronics, lighting at night,,,,it is most definitely the best for this kind of riding in my opinion. As for the seat it was a stock seat and my arse was fine. I am resting the day after as I type this I have to clean the bug mortuary off of my great bike today.
Which is one thing I discovered that my be flawed with the wing. I have bugs inside my front speakers and coming out of certain areas...how can I get that stuff out... I would appreciate a responxe gentleman. It is an honor to be riding such a fine machine...

Attachments

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Thanks for the report with the pictures. Congrats on the accomplishment.

I have no idea on how to clean bugs out of your 1800. I ride slow enough to read the mailboxes and the bugs bounce off my 1500.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
I use Bug Off, an invisible shield kinda like a bug zapper. Found mine at Walmart for 19.99. Best darn thing I ever got. Never have to wash the bugs off anymore. Comes with a money back guarantee.

BTW, congrats on the grueling ride. How did you keep yourself awake? You rode a little west of me as I was riding the back roads last weekend south of Abilene and Big Springs. I did a thousand miles too, but not in 24 hours. Any problem with the critters at night?

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DAn I have bugs inside my speakers....:D I was wondering do I hose them out or do I have to take the darn thing apart?
I have a problem with the last 120 miles of riding. This was really bad I did not sleep well the night before....but I keep several bottles of 5 hour energy drinks just in case....

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
DAn I have bugs inside my speakers....:D I was wondering do I hose them out or do I have to take the darn thing apart?
I have a problem with the last 120 miles of riding. This was really bad I did not sleep well the night before....but I keep several bottles of 5 hour energy drinks just in case....
The front or rear speakers? Not sure about the 1800 but the grill pops off on front speakers with a pocket knife. On the 1500.? If they are the front ones it sure is an odd place to get them when they're behind the windshield. Not sure about flushing out with water on the speaker element? May have to pull apart for cleaning. My Texas Hillcountry ridevrecently produced allot of butterflies that seemed to get in every nook and cranny. Hopefully some of that will eventually turn to powder and dust as it dries out over the summer.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Great job Lee & congrats you are an epic rider.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Lee...You are a beast of a rider. Not that you haven't heard it before, but please be careful riding without sleep. I hope you have many more safe accomplishments.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys....I washed her down it took almost three hours...to clean her...I put water to the front of the speakers...and theyare fine...I think they have to have drain holes and that is how the bugs were getting pushing in..they are gone.. I am going to get my second oil change...I got her after I had joined the site...:D I wanted to ask all of you about the wing....and that is when I decided to demo ride mine and bought her...she is leaps and bounds better for touring then the Rocket...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congrats on your ride... that's amazing. By the way those speaker grills pop out for cleaning
Thanks for the info Donald...and everyone else thank you for kind words...planning the 10,000 in 10 days next in mid June....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts