Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a '79 CX500 Custom a couple of years ago and even though I rode it for a while I felt it was my duty to put it back to as near original as I could as the POs had really butchered it so it's been under restoration all last year. After all these years of riding dirt bikes then without for a long time I figured it would be better for me to start off with this before I moved onto a real Wing. CG is a lot higher so I'm getting the feel of a real bike.

It's totally completed except for the paint and I can't shoot 2K Urethane in the weather we have around here until spring comes, if you're going to do it right ....

Could be interesting exchanging info between our forum and yours as many also have the true Wings in their stables. Cheers! to all.

·
Super Moderator
11,808 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the kind welcome. We share an incredible amount of common parts and there's no reason we shouldn't be as one as the SilverWings were just a baby sister.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
I believe he may be talking about this SilverWing, Maestro.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
I believe he may be talking about this SilverWing, Maestro.
Given my age you would have thunk I would have known that. I believe you are right, good fossil. I Googled " SilverWing +motorcycles " and that's what came up. The 70's were a blur to me anyway.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. All are welcome here. Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Go to http://www.choppercharles.com and you'll find the forum for your baby sisters.

Larry is our resident carb expert and the real Wing carbs don't scare him in the least. What you'll get back is perfection and even polished. He can also work on the radios that we share. Join the forum as a lot of us also have true Wings and the advice is second to none.

A set of Larry's carbs brings back performance you never thought you had and it sure is nice having the radio setup working. He even has a book published but it's somewhat CX/GL 500/650 specific but they're no mystery to him. You wouldn't believe the detail he goes though, just join the forum at http://choppercharles.com and ask.

Simple reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX_series

As mentioned, we share a lot of common parts.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Bought a '79 CX500 Custom a couple of years ago and even though I rode it for a while I felt it was my duty to put it back to as near original as I could as the POs had really butchered it so it's been under restoration all last year. After all these years of riding dirt bikes then without for a long time I figured it would be better for me to start off with this before I moved onto a real Wing. CG is a lot higher so I'm getting the feel of a real bike.

It's totally completed except for the paint and I can't shoot 2K Urethane in the weather we have around here until spring comes, if you're going to do it right ....

Could be interesting exchanging info between our forum and yours as many also have the true Wings in their stables. Cheers! to all.
If the bike provides you pleasure then, go for it. Personally, I'll ride anything but a moped!! Don't want anyone to think I lost my drivers license for DWI. On second thought, one could always wear a full helmet, problem solved.
By the way, WELCOME to one great forum. :)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Given my age you would have thunk I would have known that. I believe you are right, good fossil. I Googled " SilverWing +motorcycles " and that's what came up. The 70's were a blur to me anyway.
Welcome marshallf3! Silver, Gold, it's all precious metal right? It ain't the colour of the Wing, it's how she flies that counts!
Chopin114, I hate to be like this, but the CX500 came out in '81, and became the GL650 in '83. Some of that haze carried over into the next decade buddy:cool:

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Welcome marshallf3! Silver, Gold, it's all precious metal right? It ain't the colour of the Wing, it's how she flies that counts!
Chopin114, I hate to be like this, but the CX500 came out in '81, and became the GL650 in '83. Some of that haze carried over into the next decade buddy:cool:
The heck with this thread. Gee, budoka! Ever hear of Double Jeopardy ? It states that a member can not be made an idiot twice in one thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind welcome. It's definitely a lot more maneuverable than a true GoldWing, then again having the high center of gravity on the engine design kind of offsets that. I figured it was a nice inbetween bike until I can get a full one but in the meantime I've restored a bit of history.

Our local Honda dealer hates it - won't even touch it except for changing oil - but luckily they're one of the easiest bikes ever made to work on and we've got a few forums that are second to none. Everyone helps everyone else out, matter of fact I was battling cancer most of last year and a member about 30 minutes from here came and trailered my bike and all the restoration parts I'd purchased to his shop out in the country and did most of the work for free but the paint's up to me.

Oddly enough the Harley dealers love seeing the bike, many either had or knew someone that had one so the salesmen and mechanics alike all come out to flock over it - and that was when it looked like a tragedy.

Know what I'm going to do this spring after I get the paint finished? Every time I'm by the Honda dealer I'm going to park it right out in front while I mill around the new ones and the parts department. It seems to me it would be good advertising to see a 32 year old Honda in perfect shape, kind of a testament to the longevity. I've only got around 12K miles on it and they're known to run 200K - 300K provided plain old common sense maintenance, the worst part being having to change the cam chain & associated guide pieces as that's an engine out procedure. On occasion the stator may fail around 100K but keeping fresh oil in it and not letting it overheat may extend that life as well. We also occasionally lose a CDI on the older models such as I have but I've got two extras and the complete design to build a new one or, as many have done, they just put in an Ignitech unit. This option also allows you to go over to one of the newer stators later that gives you a lot more current output should you want to run heated gloves, vest, higher wattage headlights and whatever else you want. You lose the ability to push start it if the battery's dead (no kick start on this sideways engine) but that was of little option anyway as you need at least two people pushing with you on the bike to catch it when it starts.

Perhaps one of the more interesting bikes Honda ever made and history is a bit confused about how it came about. Some say it was a personal challenge by Motoguzzi to Mr. Honda to better on their design, others say it was to best the Harley's on the dirt track races which, if I recall, it did both.

Old history lesson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CX500

I'm not kidding on Larry and his ability to service carbs to perfection as well as repair all the radios. He's got all of this down to a fine science over the years. It's amazing what he can do compared to anyone else. As far as carbs he'll not only have them perfect as he ultrasonically cleans them for days if necessary then gets the last of the residue out of the jets using tiny drill bits of the exact size but also polishes them up so they look brand new. He will go into every detail necessary to make them perfect and stands 100% behind his work. A long time back we found that a simple rebuild kit doesn't address all the tiny passages our carbs rely on.

He also keeps all the parts around for our (mostly built by Clarion) radios/intercoms and does very good work on those as well. The biggest problem we have with these is moisture getting into the pushbutton switches and he puts in a complete new set as well as cleaning/lubing the controls and anything else he thinks needs to be done. Had I his expertise I'd be doing these myself but my eyes are getting old and I've got so much work already in some of my new engineering designs I just don't have the time nor do I want to compete with an expert.

Sorry for the long post but we're still pretty much snowed in here so I've got a bit of cabin fever. I'm waiting on a UPS package that should have been here Monday but according to the tracking # they just gave up at noon yesterday. Last I looked I'm down to around 8 of the true 7807 regulator ICs we share but more will be here today best I can tell.

$5 for one kit or $8 for two kits to the USPS AND Wing forum community, looks like only $1 more to about anywhere else unless you want Priority Mail which about doubles it. Link address is http://www.innoengr.com/CX500/regulator_assembly.doc to look at what you get and what's involved. Figured out I'm making about 0.32 (let's see if this forum will accept it 32¢ ) but I'm only trying to provide a service to the community.

e-mail me first, my PayPal is different from what I normally talk on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Silverwing is a great bike. We bought a new, '83 (silver - European specs) while stationed in Germany - rode it all over Germany, Switzerland, Belgium...then when in PA I ran across another '83 that we bought...this one was the red color. Rode it big time there and in Florida...great ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The Euro edition was rare and had to be the most beautiful. Europe and Canada got most of them, very few ever made it into the USA. The 500 & 650 Turbo models were also rare, very sharp looking and got to the point that you couldn't even get insurance on them. It wasn't so bad that the turbo took a while to spool up but rather that it didn't spool down or hit the wastegate fast enough thus it was hard to slow one down once it was screaming.

A Euro in primo shape is worth around $2,500, a Turbo can bring $5,000+ if you can find one.

I've just got the 1979 Custom version, "Custom" meaning it more resembles a Harley Sportster and is quite a bit lighter at around 450 lbs. Took a while to get used to the pulled back handlebars but it sits a little lower to the ground and I do like being able to plant both feet at a stoplight. Biggest problems I had at first were getting used to the fact that once you hit around 5K RPM the timing advances and it takes off like a rocket, you also don't do that in first gear because if you shift into second when you're in that power band it will pull the front wheel off the ground, also tries to do the same thing in a second to third gear shift.

When I first got it I made a point of riding around a lot of parking lots at the slowest speeds I could manage to get used to the higher center of gravity since most of my life has been spent tossing 125 & 250cc 2-stroke motocross/enduro/trials bikes around, tossing them at will with simple body weight shifts and if I started to lose it I'd just jump off, roll and laugh at the bike as it rolled back down a 20' hill. The Honda's did excellent, the Kawasaki's were fairly forgiving too but I never owned a Suzuki as most everyone I knew that had one were constantly having to tighten or replace parts.

Point is these are great "second bikes" as you can often find one in perfect running shape for anywhere from $100 - $800 depending on the shape. Guy on our forum recently picked up a fully dressed GL500i for $125 in perfect running condition with keys to all the luggage.

If anyone's local to Oklahoma and wants a fully dressed GL650i a friend of mine is selling one. I think it only has 26K on it so it's just a baby and being an engineer & excellent mechanic it's in tip-top shape, He also has a habit of shining things up to the max so it looks really nice aside from a few paint chips here and there but you can still get the touch up paint from Honda. Garage kept and covered all of its life, I'd trust it to ride across the country but if I were going more than 1,000 miles I'd far rather have a true GoldWing. He just has far too many bikes in his stable but cares for every one as if it were his only one, I think his wife got on him as far as having far too many but he makes it a point to take each and every one out for at least a half hour's drive every two weeks max.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts