Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 GL 1800......does anyone else find the OEM driver's seat on the 1800 uncomfortable?

It's embarrassing to say so, but I am finding that, on longer rides, I find that the 'boys' get VERY uncomfortable and ache for some time after the ride is over.

I realize that I'm leaving myself open to comments by all the comedians out there :) but has anyone else had this same problem and, if so, what was your solution? I've tried gel seats, compression shorts, althletic supports with little or no success.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
What a pain in the ass. I ride an 94 1500 and the factory seat seems to be ok for me for about 500 to 600 miles. The padding has fallen some, so I am considering a Corbin gel seat.

Being cheap, I have to find one used, so I am looking around for one.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Perhaps height and weight play a part in your problem. I know some taller riders have a problem with seating on the Wing. I'm 5'9" and about 200 lbs and I've done 625 miles days without any problem. I have highway pegs and find the bike comfortable on long trips.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Does this happen with your other motorcycles as well? If no, you may look at the seats and/or seating position and figure out where you need more/less on the GL seat.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I think the seat on the 1800 could be a little padded. I have a VTX with a mustang seat and it's alot more comfortable on long trips. Other than that I love my Wing.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
sarge, like some of the guys indicated there could be several issues at play.

Here are some questions for you.

1) Like Two Wheel said are you tall?
2) If so, Do you have Highway Pegs to stretch out? That helps.
3) Do you have a backrest? Helps as well.
4) Are you relaxed enough on the bike? Ie. Your Grip on the bars. Sometimes that can lead to fatigue.
5) Are you Hydrated enough? Crazy as it may sound that's also important.

I don't know if any of this will help but let us know. Also here are some websites to check out.

http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/GL1800 Seats Main Page/GL1800 Seats Main Page.htm

http://www.mblinnovations.com/handlebar_adapter_kit.html

http://www.ridingiswonderful.com/

https://ldcomfort.com/store/

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the seat height is too low for me. my legs feel kinked thats why i use a gel pad, it raises me up enough to be comfortable. i don't have a stock seat on either wing but comfort is subjective and while a stock seat feels fine for some its not for everyone. i took a test ride on an 1800 saturday and the first things i said to my friends was " it needs a better seat and a drivers backrest "

·
Registered
168 Posts
My butt is fine

I have a 2010 with 18K miles on it. I have done 1000 miles in a day twice, and 650 in a day 4 other times. I came from an FJR 1300 Yamaha with a corbin a year ago, and the wing is 700% better that it was. It is such an improvement I find it hard to believe it could be improved on much, but nothing surprises me any more. I am just not going to spend hundreds to try to improve it. On the last few interstate trips, I don't even get off after I run the first tank of gas out and stop for a refill. I have to at the end of the second tank, because of mother nature.:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I had a bit of discomfort after a six hour stint last month, but that's the only time it's happened on my '09. Nothing like the VFR1200 I tested last summer, felt like someone gave me a local anesthetic in the nether regions. BTW I'm just under 5'11" and 200#, highway boards & Utopia and I change positions often as I ride. Sometimes you sit too long in one spot and that's where it starts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sarge, I just sent my 2008 Gold Wing seat to Rick Butler in Wylie, Texas. He is close to Dallas. His seat modification is around $60.00. plus freight. He modified my Royal Star Tour Deluxe last year and he does very good work. I like you, would get very uncomfortable after only 45 minutes on the wing. Maybe because I'm only 5'7". My problem is it put a lot of pressure on the nerves on my inner thigh. He will narrow seat at the nose, add high density foam, and reduce pressure on the tail bone. His e-mail address: [email protected]

·
Registered
198 Posts
I find my 2010 seat less than comfortable. I had a Mustang on my E-Glide and that was comfortable. I've tried a Air Hawk and don't really like it. I have a Utopia back rest that gives me a sore back. After 7,000 miles I'm getting use to it now. I figure being 60 I have aches that I didn't have in my 20's and I won't let them stop me from riding. I might be a little sore after a day of riding but not tired. It will get better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wing Seat

My 2010 Wing seat is okay; however it's not as comfortable as the seat on my Kawasaki Voyager. I too have a Utopia backrest and find it not only comfortable but, for me, necessary. After 6 weeks on the road, my butt did start too burn; however, every 100 miles or so a brief rest (5 minutes) would set things right. I too have road pegs (with 3 1/2 inch Kuryakyn Extentions) and am able to ride in relative comfort most of the time.

I'm 6'1" and weigh a tad over 300 lbs. My major problems with long rides is blood circulation, I have a back back and knees to boot. I can ride but have difficulty walking. :)

Later,
T-Rex

·
Registered
53 Posts
The seat on my '03 is just atrocious. About a 1/2 hour in my Tenders are numb.
Before buying the wing this spring I rode an 1985 shadow 1100 with original OEM seat, I could ride 4 to 500 miles on that seat and feel as fresh as when I first sat down on her. I miss that seat.

Now before spending close to a grand on a new seat I will try some of those pads I have been reading about here.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Zoom, re-read mmkleine's post at the bottom of the previous page, that might be a solution for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Zoom, re-read mmkleine's post at the bottom of the previous page, that might be a solution for you.
Thank's for the reply...
I added my location under my name.
Texas is just to far to get my seat fixed, I am sure if i look hard enough I will find someone closer to home who can fix the seat.

For now I am looking for a cheap alternative so I can ride out the summer and to make sure that the used bike I bought is worth adding the extra coin for a seat and much more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
More.............

sarge, like some of the guys indicated there could be several issues at play. Here are some questions for you.

1) Like Two Wheel said are you tall? 5'10 (30 inch inseam) 240 lb
2) If so, Do you have Highway Pegs to stretch out? That helps.Yup!
3) Do you have a backrest? Helps as well.Yup...Utopia backrest.
4) Are you relaxed enough on the bike? Ie. Your Grip on the bars. Sometimes that can lead to fatigue. I believe so.
5) Are you Hydrated enough? Crazy as it may sound that's also important. Always have bottled water and/or Gatorade

Where I have the most discomfort is 'the boys':eek: especially after about 150-200 kilometres without stopping for a break. I have tried various gel seats (from Walmart, Canadian Tire, Costco) and beaded seats with limited effect. Also have tried 'compression shorts' which offer some improvement!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One other thing sarge, it makes a huge difference what kind of knickers you have on too. I wear the same type as I wear under my gi for karate: form fitting boxer style shorts that are quite stretchy. Works really well for long stints in the saddle. Someone else mentioned a particular type of underwear a while back too.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Seats make a big differance. I would have discomfort on my 1500 after about two hours on my stock seat. One of our chapter members gave us his old Diamond seat and with that seat I can pull several hundred miles a day. Also a rest stop every one to one and a half hours makes it more comfortable. Drink plenty of water, protect yourself from the sun alos helps. Now to find a new seat or recover the old Diamond seat as it's showing some wear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts