Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought 81 GW based on good looks, low price, 42K, one owner, reputable looking person and neighborhood, and accepted the story that it was just parked about 5 yrs ago due to disinterest. In dead of winter, all we could do is be sure it would turn a little. Now that my taxes are done, winter storms debris cleared, etc. I gotta ride it. So with a little warmth, jumper cable, fresh gas, and prime down the throat, it really "tries" to start. Hits a few licks, rpm goes over crank speed, but immediately drops back, and never runs on its own. I've never had, and never rode a GW before, and don't have a book yet, so dumb question: Is there a fuel filter? Should the carbs come off for cleaning now, and ask more questions later? Less invasive methods? I've been given a couple of good leads on GW experts, but it would involve renting a trailer. I'm not ready to give up. Yet. Thank you.
:confused:

·
Registered
692 Posts
... I Would Think That A Good Carb Cleaning And Resync. Would Be In Order ... Drain All Remaining Fuel And Start With Fresh ... Happy Trails ... Ron ...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
follow the fuel line from the petcock under the fueltank and above the engine ( looking from the left side to the right ) and you'll find the fuel filter. carbs may need a rebuild. but i would run some fresh gas and seafoam for a while and see if that helps

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Found seafoam, read some comments on the web about it, will try it, and will definitely get a book and make sure I don't screw something up if I take the carbs off to clean. I'm definitely gratified that the starter motor sounds good.:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sometimes you have to choke the living daylights out of it. All the way open and then a bit more. Keep it there when you crank it and when it fires up. don't rev over 3000 rpm without a load though. Good luck

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was doing that repeatedly, it just used up my ether then my gas prime, gained a few rpm, but didn't really run on its own. Gotta be water or really bad gas. Thanks, I should get back to it this weekend and I'll let you know how it comes out. Beautiful day today and I'm fresh out of operable scooters.:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Really bad gas will still burn and run a motor. I had a freind who had his bike parked for over 8 years, and we started it with the gas that was still in the tank. Where the problem comes in with old gas is the varnish. You may well have varnish in the carbs, enough that it closes off the jets. I would pull the carbs, and super clean them. Might as well put in a kit at the same time. Go ahead and drain the tank and replace with fresh gas, (you may well have a lot of condensation in yours), and then give it a shot. Here is the whole story on the otto motor, it need air and fuel in the correct amount, compression, and spark at the correct time. If it has all of those things, the engine will run, if it is missing any one of those, it will not. Period, end of story. Since you get it to run by shooting gas into it, fuel MUST be your problem. It could be the fuel pump is shot, and there is no gas in the carbs. If it is easy to pull just a bowl off any of the carbs, do so and see if there is anything in there. Anyway you look at it, your problem is going to be fuel.
Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check to see if the plugs are wet with fuel , after cranking .
Ether is really not too good for the engine , it will wash all the oil off the walls .
Plugs are easy enough to take out , then squirt a bit of fresh gas in the hole and try again .
My old 77 Wing is cold blooded after setting over the winter , and you really need a high speed cranking to get the fuel pump to fill the carbs .
I just reactivated my 72 CB500-4 after sitting for 4 years .
Did a quick carb rebuild .
Get a gallon of carb cleaner , remove the carbs as a full 4 pack , do not split them apart . Removed the float bowl & float, needle valve and anything plastic . I dumped the gallon in a plastic Folgers coffee can and can submerge 2 at a time . Toothbrushes , small round bristle brushes , then flush with hot water & air blow them off . All the jets can be pulled out and cleaned from the bottom .
Did not mess with any adjustments or sync , and it runs better than I can remember. ( had this bike since 78 ) .
But it feels like riding a moped . Going to do the same routine on the Wing too .
Bob :):)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I was doing that repeatedly, it just used up my ether then my gas prime, gained a few rpm, but didn't really run on its own. Gotta be water or really bad gas. Thanks, I should get back to it this weekend and I'll let you know how it comes out. Beautiful day today and I'm fresh out of operable scooters.:cool:
I was in the Navy and if we ran into something like your case we'd just get a bigger hammer!! :giggle:
I just couldn't resist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.