Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2012 Wing has the typical silver aluminum wheels. Oh sure, they look GOOD when they are NEW, but if you don't polish those darned things every 12 hours, that clear coating on the wheels WILL corrode, and they WILL turn black. Especially the rear wheel which gets less attention that the front wheel. I have better things to do than jack up my bike onto my Pit Bull lift every day to clean off the wheels!

So I have decided to redefine going to the "Dark Side." Not only do I run a "car tire" on the rear, and will run a rear tire on the front (next tire change), but I am going even darker.

Those new black powder coated wheels on the FSB ( Goldwing 'Bagger' ) look like something FAR easier to maintain. Since my Wing is basically black and white anyway, I have decided to order a set of the black wheels from Honda. Of course, this means two new valves with the pressure monitors, and a new front tire, and two front brake rotors. All told, I guess it will cost about $3,000.00, but once they are mounted, I will NEVER have to polish my wheels again!

I am even thinking of swapping out to the black valve covers from the FSB as well.

Now if I can just find someone to black powder coat the engine guards and rear crash bars ... and the antennas, and the arm rests, and ...

·
Premium Member
8,348 Posts
My 2012 Wing has the typical silver aluminum wheels. Oh sure, they look GOOD when they are NEW, but if you don't polish those darned things every 12 hours, that clear coating on the wheels WILL corrode, and they WILL turn black. :pissed: Especially the rear wheel which gets less attention that the front wheel. I have better things to do than jack up my bike onto my Pit Bull lift every day to clean off the wheels!

So I have decided to redefine going to the "Dark Side." Not only do I run a "car tire" on the rear, and will run a rear tire on the front (next tire change), but I am going even darker.

Those new black powder coated wheels on the FSB ( Goldwing 'Bagger' ) look like something FAR easier to maintain. Since my Wing is basically black and white anyway, I have decided to order a set of the black wheels from Honda. Of course, this means two new valves with the pressure monitors, and a new front tire, and two front brake rotors. All told, I guess it will cost about $3,000.00, but once they are mounted, I will NEVER have to polish my wheels again!

I am even thinking of swapping out to the black valve covers from the FSB as well.

Now if I can just find someone to black powder coat the engine guards and rear crash bars ... and the antennas, and the arm rests, and ...

Why not simply find a local powder coating business for all your needs and not buy new stuff at all?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not simply find a local powder coating business for all your needs and not buy new stuff at all?
That is an option. I may have the chrome parts powder coated. Heck, I'd even powder coat the mufflers if they would hold up!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
thats what I was thinking, too. my son powder coated his two wheels on his road king for $400.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Not to doubt your word, but wonder if your wheels were even clear coated? 3yrs and almost 36k mi, and my wheels still look new. The wheel tape I put on well over a year ago is still new looking, sorry to hear yours didn't hold up. No I don't wash constantly, but I do give the wheels attention when I do wash, only the washing rag for cleaning, never polish

·
Premium Member
17,041 Posts
On the wheel on my 1500, I just spray them with Simple green. Then hold brush with handle against the spinning rear tire (engine running at an idol in 1st gear) then work it up toward the rim and slowly onto the rim. Sound scary but once you get the hang of it, it works pretty slick. For the front I put a small scissor jack under the front of the engine and lift the front wheel just off the ground, obviously here you got to turn the wheel by hand. Then hand wash the spokes with a rag.The brush come from Kitchen depart at the Market, it has about 6or 8 inch handle and the brush head is about 2 inches square and at a 45% angle to the hand
Found this work for me.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
That is an option. I may have the chrome parts powder coated. Heck, I'd even powder coat the mufflers if they would hold up!

Actually, you can have the mufflers powder coated, I had my GL500 headers powder coated black from a company that do headers and say it's made for high heat.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,465 Posts
I have two portable power coat machines by craftsmen, and have powder coated a lot of stuff. Did you know you can even powder coat wood, I have done it. I bake my paint on between 375 and 450 degrees.

The downside of powder coating is the size of the bake oven. You can do it with a oxy torch or even a propane bottle with one of the heat heads on it if it to big for your oven.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I just joined the GW ranks but on all my vehicles and my VT750 I use a product called REJEX. It is a polymer sealer not a wax. I have oon the metal parts, the chrome, and the glass.
Forms a good seal and like rain x nothing seems to stick that will not wash away.

Developed for militray originally to product Jet tails from Carbon build up.

http://www.rejex.com/

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought an extra set of wheels. I am going to have them powder coated instead of buying the new ones from Honda.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great discussion guys.

Last year I bought a jack stand and finally got my 2013 GL1800 off the ground to clean the wheels properly. (I have a ride off center stand which makes inspecting, washing or checking tire pressure on the rear wheel a royal pain, but I digress). Once I got the black road grime off the rear wheel, I was appalled to see that virtually the entire wheel was covered with corrosion. Deep too! That clear coat provided by Honda didn't keep moisture and contaminants away from the aluminum. So, yes, I could wait until winter, remove both wheels and have them powder coated (ah, but what color? red to match the bike? Black to hide the brake dust? Gold to contrast nicely with the red? Or Red White and Blue? decisions, decisions)

What thoughts does the community have on simply sanding away the blemishes with ever finer grits until the finish is nicely smooth and somewhat polished? And, then what? clean the wheels after every ride? Apply wax to buy a few additional days between cleaning? Reapply clear coat?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I’ve seen some really nice powder coated wheels out there. Just never spent the money on it. I too think that a complimentary color would be nice in stead of the aluminum color. Can’t wait to see what you decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts