Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine gave me set of J&M headsets for my 2012 wing. They were an extra set he had, they were working when he got his new set. Problem is we can here stereo fine, but won't mute when we talk. If I turn up the Mic volume above 4 I get a high pitch squeal. Have followed all directions in manual.:confused: Thought I'd check with some you experts out there before I purse any thing else.:) Thanks Clayboy

·
Registered
71 Posts
I-Comm

Hi, I, too, have a 2012 'wing and the radio doesn't mute on mine either. I can set the mute to 0 or 20 and nothing happens to the radio when we talk. Add that to not being able to change the "Opening Ceremony" and you gotta wonder where all the high end tech stuff Honda brags about has disappeared to.
If you do find the reason, please let me know...

Jeff:confused:

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Could be the connection. Radio Shack sells a spray can: electrical cleaner / lube for $10.00

My headset would skip out and was not as loud as the rear passengers. I sprayed that contact cleaner into the connections.... good to go. I also fixed my starter switch with it...as sometimes I would push it in and it would hesitate. Lubed all of my handlebar electronics with it.... all good to go.

I still have $5.00 worth of spray and saved myself a few service calls.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If it's a 2012 I doubt it's the connections. The radio has to be on INSIDE speakers for it to mute. There are 2 different settings, one for INTERCOM VOLUME and one for INTERCOM MUTE.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I haven't had any experience with the '12s, but the controls should be the same as my '09. The GPS will overide the sound system on speaker or i/c when it's actively running. The mute circuit should only work on your headset when listening to music that way, not with the i/c only in the headsets and the music playing over the bike speakers. I'm sure it's just a setting like Joe says, if I have the chance I'll fiddle with mine tonight after I get home.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I-Comm Mute

LarryinSeattle,

Not sure what you mean "INSIDE" speakers. Yes, we know that there is a volume and mute control. That's why we said it will not mute the radio.
We use the headset for both the intercom and radio. I am not sure, if that is what you mean, why you would mute the speakers if you were using the headphones.....

Thanks for the help so far...

Jeff

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
LarryinSeattle,

Not sure what you mean "INSIDE" speakers. Yes, we know that there is a volume and mute control. That's why we said it will not mute the radio.
We use the headset for both the intercom and radio. I am not sure, if that is what you mean, why you would mute the speakers if you were using the headphones.....

Thanks for the help so far...

Jeff
I think your question should be addressed to Joe about the speakers.

I was speaking to the connections. I was just wondering if the microphone was transmitting. If it is intermittent, then the radio would not mute as it does not see the signal.

It does not take much corrosion to cause a poor connection. Metal can tarnish and cause poor connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts