Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a 230 mile trip with about 9 other bikes;mine being the only Goldwing and the other being Harley's.
The lead bike rider had told me before we started he was going to test my ability to handle curves.He said we will take a road just before stoping to eat lunch that will be curve after curve.He mentioned you might wish you had a Harley instead of that Goldwing when you get to end of this curvey road.

I was wondering how this would work out for me;but remembering feedback from this great forum on how to handle curves on a Goldwing; I decided to give it a try and do as the thread had instructed.
As the thread had instructed I pushed on the handlebar side that I needed to take the curve.I found I could take the curves as well or better than the Harley riders and that was much to their surprise also.

By being a regular on this site for only a month; not only is my bike better for it ;so am I.

Thanks again to those members who make this site so great and their are lots of you!
Sincerely,
Donald Lang-Smooth Thunder:)

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
Great story Donald, Our Wings are second to none as long as you know what you want in a bike. Good job & I'm glad all of our fellow members have helped.:D

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
You have now entered the paradoxical world of " counter- steering. " I too have been practicing this non- intuitive technique since it's discussion here. I believe it was " bstar " who first broached the term as a comment on Yellow Wolf's video riding through " The Tail of the Dragon. " I'm hitching my wagon to your compliment to the members who make this forum great.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
the harleys are shorter in overall legnth than our 1500 and 1800 wings, unless the curves have to be taken at very slow speeds the hd has no advantage

·
Registered
91 Posts
Now get a traxxion front end and rear shock and you will go round the corners even more easily!! I love my Traxxion suspension and the improvements to the handling was just incredible.. The ride is a little less plush, but the improvement in cornering far outways the slightly loss of comfort.. The goldwing can really hussle in the bends with the traxxion suspension.. Money very well spent in my opinion.
The traxxion suspension also raises the goldwing a bit (the suspension collapses less under the weight of the bike) which also gives more corner clearance which is always a nice thing to have..
Counter steering is the only way to ride a bike, if you depend on shifting your body weight, you will get tired far more quickly and will never get the bike to respond as quickly as counter steering will..

Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
Wow, 230 miles on a Harley. Probably had to stop about 6 times. LOL... Sounds like you had agreat time. Always nice to ride with friends and enjoy a good time together. Next time, you lead and have them try to keep up with you.... Ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Most Harley's I see can't keep up with a Gold Wing or a BMW on the twisty

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
There's a local here who is constantly bragging how his pumped up Roadglide is so superior to all other bikes out there (other HD's included) and how he would love to show me how a "real bike" works. When I offered him the chance to prove it, he suddenly had too much going on to ride with me.:rolleyes: Kind of a common cop-out ain't it?:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
The newer HDs handle low speed turns well. They are about the same price (Ultra Guide VS Goldwing). Now, when I tell the guys at the local hd shop that I have 156,000+ miles on the Greenwing their reaction is "Really" :eek: Hd reccomends 91 octain gas and is a higher preformance V twin. This leads me to believe it will require more maintenance to get 156,000 miles. In the end, it all comes down to which bike you prefer.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey guys can someone tell me the name of that thread or point me in the direction to were i can find it ,i also wouldn't mind giving it a read
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
Wow, 230 miles on a Harley. Probably had to stop about 6 times. LOL... Sounds like you had agreat time. Always nice to ride with friends and enjoy a good time together. Next time, you lead and have them try to keep up with you.... Ride safe..
most of my harley buddies can make it to the next city from my house but the next city is only half a mile away -)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys can someone tell me the name of that thread or point me in the direction to were i can find it ,i also wouldn't mind giving it a read
thanks in advance
Hi Wing Down Under,
The main Tread I was reffering to is New owner handling questions by jk buzz on page 7 on General Goldwing forum.The 2 main responses were by Goldwing Ltyr and A Apple.My guess you will find more if you are willing to look for them.
I have found in a short time ;you will find many guys on this site that are willing and very much able to help you with any question you may have concerning Goldwings and riding Goldwings and much more!

Donald Lang-Smooth Thunder

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Lonewolf, I would hardly consider the Ultra a "higer performance" V-twin no matter what the Motorcompany says. My Roadking had the stage II upgrade with the 95" kit and it still didn't hold a candle to my 95" Vulcan Classic (very similarly equipped) as far as get up and go was concerned. Even the CVO models are weak compared to a GL in performance. Better off to compare the Ultra with a Victory Vision Tour and the HD still doesn't match the performance specs. As far as the very low speed handling goes, yes they are a bit better than the Wings especially with an unseasoned operator. They are also almost a hundred pounds lighter, which pretty much makes up the difference right there. Watch the GWRRA drill team in action and you can see that rider skill is still the biggest influence on how a bike can be handled. Once the wick is turned up a few degrees, the Wing only has one rival, the BMW LT, and it is 'rated' second best in most recent comparisons. I've ridden an LT and they are fantastic machines, but I wouldn't trade for one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My '08 HD Street Glide was a decent handling bike, but it was nowhere near as smooth and nimble as my Goldwing.

The HD had a Power Commander, Reinheart True Dual Pipes and a Screaming Eagle air cleaner.... it would not of wanted any of a Goldwing. The Goldwings power is amazing. :eek:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys, will be doing some reading tonight and some pratical tomorrow,

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
thanks in advance
I would like to see it also,I can do turns but I am slow Getting ready to go back to the Tail Of The Dragon (Deals Gap) it would help me out maybe I can stay with the rest of my Friends. Or even better maybe they would have a hard time keeping up with me lol

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Hay has anyone thought of taking a safety class to improve your riding, it will help with any bike you ride, and if the dragon is what you crave it will make it the ride of the year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HD's aren't known for handling the twisties well, get on a kawasaki concours, yammie RJ or any BMW and give it a try......no comparison....GW's do just fine also...much lower CG than the harleys....IMO...it all starts with rider position..the typical "cruiser" position is bad for performance riding....

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Rider position is important, but it's really about weight, where it's carried (rider is included in this) and ground clearance. Then it's a factor of wheelbase, steering geometry, suspension set-up and a whole host of other rider induced variables. No tourer (Goldwings included) is a Concours, ST, FJ, or a Beemer S. Our bikes do handle real well for 'what they are', but remember they're a land yaught, even if they have the desire to be a sport tourer. Just as most if not all the other full dressers don't have the capabilities to run with Wings at Deals Gap, Wings don't really want any part of hanging with the 1300 class sport tourers either.
Most of my buddies are HD riders, and I used to ride a long low custom cruiser (and HD's too), and they can really hustle their bikes up to a point. That's right at the time when things start to drag and shower sparks. The smart ones back off a bit from there, the others end up in a world of hurt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts