Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been contemplating doing Saddlesore 1000 and finally pulled trigger. I had read all the rules, advice, watched YouTube of people doing ride. I looked at riding to specific point, circular routes and out/back routes. I felt a circular path would be tempting to stop and come home if your mind doubted your abilities. Riding to specific point 1000+ miles away takes more time away ( and its 1000 mi back?). I wanted to do it around summer start for longer days and choose maybe full moon if one had to do night riding.

I chose out and back. I looked a route down I 65 south out of Nashville. There is fair amount of traffic Nashville-Birmingham-Montgomery corridor but to me there is less traffic Montgomery-Mobile. You need to go a little west on I 10 to get over 500 miles.

I looked at northern route up I 24 W to Paducah-I 57N to Champaign, IL-I 74 to Galesburg, IL. I chose this route because temperature was high 82 in northern Illinois vs 95 on Gulf coast. Also the the interstate is straight and corn fields as far as can see. There are sections that did not have much traffic on especially early in the morning. There was noticeably more commercial traffic on interstate east of St. Louis area and there was 11 miles of single lane west of Champaign, IL.

First starting receipt was @ 4:01 am in Nashville, TN
Second receipt was @ 6:42 am in Vienna, IL (177 mi)
Third receipt was @ 9:18 am in Mattoon, IL (164 mi)
Fourth receipt @ 12:16 pm in Galesburg, IL (194 mi) turn around point
Fifth receipt @ 3:10 pm in Tuscola, IL ( 162 mi)
Sixth receipt @ 6:03 pm in Vienna, IL (190 mi)
Final receipt @ 8:55 pm in Nashville, TN (175 mi)
Total odometer miles 1,062 ( Google maps 1024 mi)
16 hrs 54 mins.

I packed a soft sided cooler with snacks, water, lunch as I did not want to take lot of time eating meals. At turn around point just found shade tree next to gas station and took 15-20 min rest.

The only pictures I took were receipts with odometer reading

Take aways from the experience. I would not want to do 1000 mi ride on anything but big tourer ( Wing Class). The last 200 miles butt and shoulder blades were uncomfortable. I pre-dosed with Motrin, I guess that helped? Cruise control was huge help but still noticed throttle hand/wrist uncomfortable. I could have stopped as I had few hours to spare but I wanted less riding time after sunset (the first 90 min dark..not much traffic...the last 60 mins were dark and lots traffic going into Nashville.

Keep your fingers crossed IBA approves!!

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
congrats on documenting and completing your SS1000. summer is when the IBA gets swamped with people trying to get their rides certified so it may be a bit of a wait before you get your package in the mail
I want to do a SS 1000 on my GSA but with my broken foot I doubt I could do it before next year

Reactions: Tremaine

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Doc, I would not attempt SS 1000 if all my extremities were not near 100% functional!,

Forgot to mention I saw lot of motorcycles headed west and I assumed headed to Sturgis. It crossed my mind to ride straight to Sturgis but I did not have much time to enjoy sights and sounds.

Another point I wanted to make, East-West rides the sun can be factor. Even with sunglasses and helmet flip down shades visor on bright sunny no cloud days the sun can hinder vision. So I was looking for north-south routes generally. The ride north on I 65 to Louisville is very busy and there are 2 areas that use to have the near highest fatalities per mile. I know one was in Bowling Green, KY area. I-24 East if you go 200 miles you start getting into Atlanta traffic and IMO its a crap shoot to get thru there and not be stopped by traffic.

I have read about organized certified SS1000 rides that circumnavigate some of Great Lakes. There is certified ride next month that starts at 5 am in Memphis-Nashville-Chattanooga-Hattiesburg-McComg-Memphis at Waffle House. It is a circular ride with start and ending at same place. BIg As Texas has SS1000 and maybe Bun Burner 1500 in September.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Great! I have done a couple but didn't worry about getting a certificate.

A guy I met here asked me to do a Bun Burner 1500 in late August or September. He wants to ride to Maine. That actually looks easier as we can do two 12 hour days and have a night in a motel somewhere in Virginia. Then we would take a few days to ride back and smell the roses along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Special Wing I hope you got your witnesses . Congrats now that you got the preliminaries out of the way it is time to plan your BBG1500.

crownfire a BBG1500 must be done in 24 hrs . I believe if you do it in 36hrs. it is a SS1500. My brother did his BBG1500 with 13 minutes to spare. Don't remember how low I took to do my BBG1500.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

A guy I met here asked me to do a Bun Burner 1500 in late August or September. He wants to ride to Maine. That actually looks easier as we can do two 12 hour days and have a night in a motel somewhere in Virginia. Then we would take a few days to ride back and smell the roses along the way.
Yea Mark,I think it’s 1500 mi in 24 hrs. I have read the SS1000 is piece of cake vs BB1500 which is critical on time management. I had 7 hrs left on the clock to do 500 miles. That would require all night wide open run.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Special Wing I hope you got your witnesses . Congrats now that you got the preliminaries out of the way it is time to plan your BBG1500.

crownfire a BBG1500 must be done in 24 hrs . I believe if you do it in 36hrs. it is a SS1500. My brother did his BBG1500 with 13 minutes to spare. Don't remember how low I took to do my BBG1500.
Yes on witness

Reactions: Jinx

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I looked this up on their web site;

Iron Butt Association Guidelines for the Saddlesore 1000 or Bun-Burner 1500. - Last Revision: January 9, 2017

IMPORTANT NOTE: The guidelines for a Bun-Burner GOLD (1,500 miles in 24 hours) are located at: Bun Burner GOLD Guidelines.

Following are the guidelines for earning an Iron Butt Association Pin and License Plate Back and a Certificate of Completion for a 1,000 mile (or more) ride in 24 hours (SaddleSore 1000) or 1,500 miles in 36 hours (Bun-Burner 1500). It is possible to complete both the SaddleSore 1000 and Bun-Burner 1500 on the same ride. For example, in the first 24 hours you ride 1,000 miles and then continue on the second day and ride another 500 miles or more.

I'm not shooting for Gold, Silver is enough for me. Especially as I'll try to talk him into an overnight stop in Salem, VA. They have a nice brewery there.....

Reactions: Special Wing

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Sorry I was thinking BBG1500 not BB1500

Reactions: crownfire

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Sorry I was thinking BBG1500 not BB1500
It seems to me like they changed it recently for a 36 hour ride. I never contemplated 1500 miles in one ride (although it's 1195 miles to Fossil's from here and I've done that in one ride) and it seems to me that they had only it in 24 hours in the past. I never would not have looked it up if my friend hadn't mentioned it.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
you are getting a bun burner sliver ( 1500 miles in 36hrs ) mixed up with a bun burner gold ( 1500 miles in 24hrs)

Reactions: Special Wing

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
Until you fellows get this straightened out I'm not submitting any of my documentation .

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
so you documented one of your 15 miles in 24hrs ride :)

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Really! He made it that far? :surprise:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Took about 10 weeks but this ride was accept for Saddle Sore 1000.

I submitted another ride Sept 21, will see if that is accepted as well.

I am thinking Bun Burner 1500 in 36 hours or maybe an in state SS 1000 in 2020?

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Good deal! My friend and I sent in our 1500 in 36 hour documentation last week. I found that pretty easy to do, I don't think you will have a problem. We rode two 800 mile days with 8 hours of rest in the middle. Made it with 25 minutes to spare.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
Took about 10 weeks but this ride was accept for Saddle Sore 1000.

I submitted another ride Sept 21, will see if that is accepted as well.

I am thinking Bun Burner 1500 in 36 hours or maybe an in state SS 1000 in 2020?
congrats!! and don't worry about the other ride it will be accepted also, now lets see a pic of that license plate backer on your wing

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
Good deal! My friend and I sent in our 1500 in 36 hour documentation last week. I found that pretty easy to do, I don't think you will have a problem. We rode two 800 mile days with 8 hours of rest in the middle. Made it with 25 minutes to spare.
congrats Mark, I always thought that you or Dustin would be the ones to submit paperwork for an IBA ride. the paperwork is not hard to do and the package isn't expensive and now you have a BBS license plate backer to go with your GWOF SS1000 hat

1 - 19 of 19 Posts