Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I should consider myself lucky as this is the first weekend that it has been too cold to ride in the Cincinnati area. I'm sitting here on the couch with the fireplace going contemplating various winter projects that I need to complete on my bike. But I find my mind keeps drifting to next April and May.
The point of this post is that I am planning to ride the length of the Blue Ridge Pkwy from north to south. Sometime during the last two weeks of May I'm going to travel to Waynesboro Virginia and ride to Cherokee North Carolina. I'm going to take my time and do it over seven days, with two days spent in Asheville North Carolina.
If anyone has done this please give me suggestions for lodging and points of interest.

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. I will wait for the report and photos.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
there is nothing like planning ahead

·
Registered
718 Posts
My wife and I did an End to Ender two years ago. One day to ride from just south of Cleveland to Winchester, VA. Two days on the parkway, could have taken longer but my wife does not like the history aspect of traveling, plenty of pull offs to take photos and other attractions to stop at like old farms. Spent the night in Mt. Airy, NC. suspect this is the real Mayberry or Mt. Pilot from the Andy Griffth show and everyone let's you know it. Talk to the people on the parkway during rest stops and you'll be surprized on some of the stories you'll hear. Lenoir is the town I think one gentleman said that the Dirty Dancing movie was filmed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The wife and I in August drove our new to us '08 wing, from our home in central FL to make the BRP run. We are both pushing 70 real hard and she has back and hip problems and had never ridden more than 100 miles in a day. I kept asking her if she was okay as the further we drove north, we had to go just as far to get back home. Not only did we do the BRP but we continued on and did the Shenandoah NP also. All told it was about a 3,000 mile round trip and 9 days on the bike. We both loved it!

Next week we leave for Key West on a 5 - 6 day trip.

The BRP is a beautiful ride. We had one day with about a 2 hour very cold rain while in the mountains. Put the wing on it's side once with both of on it. (parking on a steep downhill spot with the bike in neutral and facing downhill! I learned my lesson there!) The only problem she had was a sore butt one day when I put her Air Hawk cushion on upside down.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
You'll have a great time!

Both my son and daughter rode the BRP with me 20 years ago. We'd ride US74 from Charlotte to Ashville and jump on the BRP and ride it up to Shenandoah National Park and then come home through the Shenandoah Valley. Great scenery, good folks, and cool things to see, from historical sites to the Biltmore Estate in Ashville.

Enjoy making your own memories of the BRP! And, of course, we expect a full report with photos!:p

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
The wife and I have ridden the parkway hundreds of times, twice the whole 469 miles in a single trip, and we've found that leaving the pky for overnight accommodations is much more economical than staying in the more "touristy" places along the route. Plus, access to restaurants is greater off the Blue Ridge as well as less costly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
When I did the Blue Ridge Parkway, I started further north and took the "skyline Drive" down to the Blue Ridge. Took us a couple of days, If I did it again, I might stop and look and take more pictures. Course this was In the early 90s. But a trip I will not forget.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I did this ride end to end in five days , we called it the smell the rosses ride. I have a full listing of the places we stayed at and most of the things we stopped to see along the way. My wife still tells me and my buddy Jim this was the best vacation she has ever had !

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here is a preliminary itinerary.

Day 1.
Home to Waynesboro Virginia. milepost 0
The Belle Hearth BB
www.bellehearth.com

Day 2. Waynesboro Virginia to Floyd Virginia at milepost 165.
Ambrosia Farm BB
www.ambrosiafarm.net

Day 3.
Floyd Virginia to Linville Falls, North Carolina. Milepost 316.
Linville Falls Lodge. www.linvillefallslodge.com

Days 4 & 5
Linville Falls, North Carolina to Asheville North Carolina. Milepost 390
Bent Creek Lodge
www.bentcreeknc.com

Day 6.
Asheville NC to Bryson City NC
Blue Ridge ends at Cherokee NC
Folkestone Inn. www.folkestoneinn.com

Day 7.
Bryson City NC to home.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Loved the ridge but actually found the roads just off the actual ridge far more entertaining. Guess I prefer the roads less marketed and more rustic. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Comm Out

My wife and I stayed at the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Parkway. Got in on a Friday night, and they had a decent seafood buffet. There are no phones, TV's, or signal on the cellphone. It was nice to sit back and relax and watch the deer roam around the property. Each room has a patio or balcony that overlooks the lake. Something to consider. You can google to see if it fits into your travel schedule. It is ON the parkway, so there isn't any getting off the parkway looking for the hotel, etc....:cool:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

The time is here! We will be heading out next Tuesday the 14th to ride The Blue Ridge Parkway.
Tuesday - Cincinnati to Waynesboro VA.
Wednesday- milepost 0 to Fancy Gap VA at milepost 195
Thursday - Fancy Gap to Asheville NC. Spend Thursday and Friday in Asheville.
Saturday - Asheville to Bryson City NC
Sunday - return home.
Will post pics when I get back.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Be safe and watch for the four wheeled critters as well as the four legged ones :chopper:

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
Have a great time. It's a beautiful area. I've been on pieces/parts of the BRP but not the whole thing.

Yet.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Have fun Sevo, ride safe & we will await the pictures.

:tapfoot:

:HappyRoll:

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Shiny side up man!:photos: pls

·
Registered
50 Posts
I know that I am late to the game, but here are some of the items I have from my Skyline-BRP ride:
Mabry mill - if you only take one picture on the whole ride, it has to be this.

Mount Mitchel - From the platform on top, you get a 360 degree view. Drive to the parking lot and hike the last bit (beautiful walk with plenty of benches for fat, out-of-shape guys like me to catch their breath)

Tail of the Dragon neat the southern end. I hear some people like it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.