Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Follow up on my new ct and local shop experience. My closest honda shop is in a very small rural town in western ny. They are a multi motorcycle brand type. They might only have 1 or 2 new Honda mc at any given time. However being in a rual area They always have numerous new honda 4 wheelers. I have used them for service for years on my 2008 honda st 1300 mainly tires and inspection. I called to order the same replacement that was on it a bridgestone drive guard run flat 195/55rf 16 87v. I know that I could have purchased online but I try to buy local when I can so they stay in business. The parts person was puzzled and said "that's a big tire". They tried to talk me into one of their mc tires. They ordered in the ct and I had a 2 week wait for install. A couple days later the service manager called me to verify my purchase since he had never heard of a CT on a honda motorcycle. Ended up They didn't order in the correct size tire and it wouldn't fit inside the fender. I verified again with him the exact tire info from my current one. They had to get my tire from the local car tire sales place lol.. anyhow I spoke with him when I picked up the bike and he said that was his first time putting a CT on a mc.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling about it. I noticed when I got home that there are no balance weights anywhere on the rim. I dont remember if the prevous wheel had weights on it but dont think so. Is this possible? Don't ct on mc have to be balanced? Tire to start changing my own tires and balance...why not I do all of my own basic service anyway. Installing a new air filter on my gw was a real fun chore but that's for another thread.

·
Premium Member
24,517 Posts
The tire shop that installed my CT could not balance it because of the smaller hub size. Brought Dyna-Beads with me and had them added inside the tire, before all was said and done . Some use the permanent Centramatics, which is the more expensive, but permanent way to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK I have the ct figured out now. I just completed a 2824 mi 11 day round trip from Buffalo ny through blue ridge Pkwy, tail of the dragon and wound my way home through Tennessee, Virginia, w Virginia back roads mixed with some interstate. I am pretty sure that my initial comments were premature. I love, love the rear ct now that I am use to the bike and found tire air pressure that works for me. I am driving the bike like it was meant to be driven. This is my same 4th trip with mostly the same route. 3 previous trips on my 2008 honda st 1300. This was my favorite trip of all and I wish I would have purchased the gw sooner. I doubt that i will ever go back to a mc tire again.. the handling was excellent and liked how it handled the rain. I even took my ex wife on a 180 mile Tennessee mntn ride and the handling was still spot on. Now I am researching a ct to put on the front. Friends are teasing me about being a double darksider. Time to put this thread to rest. Tks for reading

·
Registered
422 Posts
OK I have the ct figured out now. I just completed a 2824 mi 11 day round trip from Buffalo ny through blue ridge Pkwy, tail of the dragon and wound my way home through Tennessee, Virginia, w Virginia back roads mixed with some interstate. I am pretty sure that my initial comments were premature. I love, love the rear ct now that I am use to the bike and found tire air pressure that works for me. I am driving the bike like it was meant to be driven. This is my same 4th trip with mostly the same route. 3 previous trips on my 2008 honda st 1300. This was my favorite trip of all and I wish I would have purchased the gw sooner. I doubt that i will ever go back to a mc tire again.. the handling was excellent and liked how it handled the rain. I even took my ex wife on a 180 mile Tennessee mntn ride and the handling was still spot on. Now I am researching a ct to put on the front. Friends are teasing me about being a double darksider. Time to put this thread to rest. Tks for reading
Double Darkside is NOT putting a CT on the front. It is installing a rear MT on the front. While there are others, the Bridgestone BT46 is the most common.

• Helpful
Reactions: dsurley and Chopin

·
Registered
46 Posts
Going DS on 2021 DCT, the 195/55/rf16 are getting hard to get. Contacted my two local tire shops and neither of them had one in stock. One Yokohama dealer checked all his franchised stores and didn't have any Run Flat tires in stock. Geez

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Going DS on 2021 DCT, the 195/55/rf16 are getting hard to get. Contacted my two local tire shops and neither of them had one in stock. One Yokohama dealer checked all his franchised stores and didn't have any Run Flat tires in stock. Geez
I figured the new gen wing would run a bigger tire...
for isnt the oe tire a 200
so I thought a 205 would fit

21 - 28 of 28 Posts