Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a first time gw owner and new to forum. Funny story so stick with me. This is my 4th honda mc in my 65 yrs. I put about 15k of touring miles per season. I did 6k miles in 30 days to the mid west last summer. I had a ball but I wanted to go to the west coast this summer. I was riding an awesome 2008 honda st 1300 which I put 40 k on in 2.5 seasons. I would go to wv and do twisties all day and love it. My hands started bothering me due to arthritis setting in. I bought a 2010 honda gw loaded 2 weeks before my scheduled west coast trip. I swore my whole life I would never never own a goldwing. I didn't have a lot of time to do much research. I figured I could sell it if it sucked. When I looked at the bike I asked the owner about the rear tire it seemed a little wide and not rounded on the edges. He said that I would get use to it. Whatever...I took 1 road trip to wv twisties before my west coast trip. All of my favorite high speed corners sucked and I had to slow down. I couldn't figure it out but figured that I had to grow up and drive the gw more like it was designed for....long cruises and not cornering. Well I did 9000 miles in 30 days to the west coast and back to NY. I really struggled with 75/ 80 mph long sweeping corners on the interstate. Straight interstate roads in SD at 89mph what a dream even could ride with no hands to stretch out. I finally found this forum and started reading about ct on gw. Duh I am a darker sider and didn't even know it. I started adjusting my tire pressure and keeping daily notes. I finally found a happy balance and it includes slowing down a bit for corners. I still scrape some parts on some corners but I will probley live longer by not always driving like I stole it. My summary 1) I love my gw 2) I just replaced the same ct that was on it bridgestone 195/55rf 16 87v 3) might keep my st1300 if it doesn't sell for twisties. Hope this wasn't to long and boring but still chuckle that I didn't know I had a ct on my motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
hello microbus58 and welcome to GWOF !! the Goldwing is a fine handling bike and very capable for its size, enjoy yours

·
Registered
421 Posts
Duh I am a darker sider and didn't even know it. I started adjusting my tire pressure and keeping daily notes. I finally found a happy balance and it includes slowing down a bit for corners. I still scrape some parts on some corners but I will probley live longer by not always driving like I stole it. My summary 1) I love my gw 2) I just replaced the same ct that was on it bridgestone 195/55rf 16 87v 3) might keep my st1300 if it doesn't sell for twisties. Hope this wasn't to long and boring but still chuckle that I didn't know I had a ct on my motorcycle.

Welcome to the forum. Where is home?

Congrats on sticking to it and experimenting with the pressures. You say it's a 2010, How many miles on it? The bike may be getting to the point where a suspension overhaul or upgrade may be in order.

·
Registered
2003 Goldwing in Red (the fastest color)
1,738 Posts
Welcome to the forum and wishing you miles of smiles.😁

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
The car tire is a trade off. You give up the nimble flick - ability for better traction, especially on wet roads, more road miles, quiet performance throughout its wear life. It's the ultimate touring tire that you can still scrape pegs on .

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I've tried my best to keep up with a few dark siders. I've stuck with a motorcycle tire on the rear of my bike, but I do have to change it out more often. If the tire pressure is right you can scoot through the curves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the welcome and input. I believe Chopin sums up my current thoughts and its doubtful that i will ever put a rear mc tire on my gw. My gw currently has 50k and I live near Buffalo ny. I always run 1 up. Adjusting the air pressure on the tires seems to be the key so far. During my trip i ran a couple of smooth secondary roads in Wyoming that had let's say small patches of settling or dips toward the outside of the road. I learned to pay attention more to those kind of surfaces going into a corner and slowing down a bit more. That seemed to improve the strange unsettling pull to the outside. I know my problem is all operator error and getting use to a new motorcycle. The plus of my gw far out weighs this minor learning curve (no pun intended). Heading out to the smokies via the blue ridge Pkwy next week for my yearly 14 day ride. I can't wait

·
Registered
2008 Titanium GW and 2015 Silver GW
305 Posts
Been DS for years on the ST1300 and it was fine. (I was always changing tires on that thing, before I went DS)

Went DS on my 2008 GW and "got used to it" with 2-up. But my 2015 had new MC tires on it, so I have been riding those about 10k miles so far. I have to admit that I like the MC tires better for handling, but they don't match the CT for smooth, quiet ride (the 2015 is growling at me in the corners now).

Sing to Him who rides across the heavens, his mighty voice thundering from the sky. Ps 68:33

·
Super Moderator
10,482 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. As you can see I'm a double-double darksider. Ride safe and enjoy the forum.

• Haha
Reactions: NREMTP and fossil92

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2021 DCT tour GW. I am coming up on 18k on my original rear tire. I am contemplating going Darkside. I watch a lot of YouTube vlogs for the 2018 and up goldwing and see that some do choose Darkside, even choosing runflats. Do the mainstream motorcycle shops install car tires on motorcycles or would I have to find someone to do it for me? BTW I live in the Atlanta GA area. Thanks for any advice I can get.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi I am a first time gw owner and new to forum. Funny story so stick with me. This is my 4th honda mc in my 65 yrs. I put about 15k of touring miles per season. I did 6k miles in 30 days to the mid west last summer. I had a ball but I wanted to go to the west coast this summer. I was riding an awesome 2008 honda st 1300 which I put 40 k on in 2.5 seasons. I would go to wv and do twisties all day and love it. My hands started bothering me due to arthritis setting in. I bought a 2010 honda gw loaded 2 weeks before my scheduled west coast trip. I swore my whole life I would never never own a goldwing. I didn't have a lot of time to do much research. I figured I could sell it if it sucked. When I looked at the bike I asked the owner about the rear tire it seemed a little wide and not rounded on the edges. He said that I would get use to it. Whatever...I took 1 road trip to wv twisties before my west coast trip. All of my favorite high speed corners sucked and I had to slow down. I couldn't figure it out but figured that I had to grow up and drive the gw more like it was designed for....long cruises and not cornering. Well I did 9000 miles in 30 days to the west coast and back to NY. I really struggled with 75/ 80 mph long sweeping corners on the interstate. Straight interstate roads in SD at 89mph what a dream even could ride with no hands to stretch out. I finally found this forum and started reading about ct on gw. Duh I am a darker sider and didn't even know it. I started adjusting my tire pressure and keeping daily notes. I finally found a happy balance and it includes slowing down a bit for corners. I still scrape some parts on some corners but I will probley live longer by not always driving like I stole it. My summary 1) I love my gw 2) I just replaced the same ct that was on it bridgestone 195/55rf 16 87v 3) might keep my st1300 if it doesn't sell for twisties. Hope this wasn't to long and boring but still chuckle that I didn't know I had a ct on my motorcycle.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a CT?

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
CT - Car Tire.

·
Registered
2006 Goldwing - Level 4
7 Posts
Good story. I switched to a CT shortly after buying my Goldwing a couple of years ago. I am more pleased with everything about my ride after going to the darkside. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the runflat on back and the rear battleaxe on front. Air preasure...... 30 feels pretty great.........in the rear..................tire.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome aboard. I'm on my 5th Goldwing and have been riding daily for 50 + years.
1. 1976 Gl1000...172,000 miles on it when sold
2. 1982 Gl1200...177,000 "
3. 1993 Gl1500...178,000. "
4. 1995 Gl1500...147,000. "
5. 2008 Gl1800...I just purchased it and I've only ridden 20 k on it. Best one by far.

All my Goldwings ran fine, didn't smoke, and shifted well when I sold them.
Take care of it, and figure out who you're going to leave it to in your will.
THE WING IS KING!
Chaplain Bob DeSantis
Live Oak, Florida

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Hello all. I have a 2021 DCT tour GW. I am coming up on 18k on my original rear tire. I am contemplating going Darkside. I watch a lot of YouTube vlogs for the 2018 and up goldwing and see that some do choose Darkside, even choosing runflats. Do the mainstream motorcycle shops install car tires on motorcycles or would I have to find someone to do it for me? BTW I live in the Atlanta GA area. Thanks for any advice I can get.
that varies
will just have to check some places out
There is a local tire shop here (autos) and he was more than happy to change out both ends (dark side rear)
he was able to do the front wheel with the rotors on..... just takes someone that knows all about their machines

·
Registered
2007 gl1800 dark metalic orange
72 Posts
I have had my ct changed by the local tire shop, although he and his family all have had bikes at some point, so I trusted him. My last tire change came with other work I had done on my bike, so it was changed by the bike shop. Not a bike dealer, just a repair shop. I guess it would depend on the shop, as to whether they might or might not.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts