Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas,
I have some questions for the collative mind hive. Hydro clutches; I have a new to me '87 GL 1200 Goldwing and the clutch stuck. Many folks suggested easy ways to fix it, but I’m a hard head and had to do it my way!
I wanted to flush the old fluid out of the lines first. I did so, it was really gunkie. I wound up taking the master cylinder off to clean it and now the piston is real sticky. Since the master is aluminum do any of you think boiling it will help get the crud out of it?
Question 2, the slave cylinder had what looked like peanut butter in it along with gritty crud that could have been sand. NOT REAL HAPPY. I’m going to dismantle the little bugger and clean it too, but shouldn’t there have been a gasket between the slave cylinder and the clutch? When I remount the slave would some sort of sealant be a good idea to put between the metal parts?
Thanks for your ideas and any help you can send my way. I’d also like to apologize for no pictures as I am inept when it comes to things computer.
Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi bill, got a 86 aspen, just did the same thing to mine. go on e-bay and you can buy the rebuild kits for the master cylinder and slave cylinder for about 40.00. on the slave cylinder i didnt put no sealer none there when i tore it down. went for a ride the other day and no probs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Big bike So little free space

Got the little blighters apart, cleaned honed and polished (I like the rouge stuff and my buffing wheel, makes stuff shinny). Going to my local friendly Honda mechanic in the morning for the kits and will rebuild later on.
Since the DOT stuff like to suck in water, I thought better check the brakes while I was already greasy. Brakes look good. :confused:
Color me puzzled. Why is the fluid in the brakes still fluid and the same stuff in the clutch peanut butter?
Any rate, got stuff clean and will run her some this week I hope.:D Maybe even get a picture of her on in stead of the dog!
Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey bill, should say on your covers dot4 fluid. thats what it says on mine. dont know about the peanut butter, is it the color of it?. mine was almost clear when i changed it. let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need to clarify, the peanut butter stuff seems to be what DOT 3 or 4 turns into as it ages and gets cooked. Since the clutch is warmer than the brakes the junk in the clutch cooks faster, but in the clutch reservoir the brake fluid looked like mud, well very wet mud. There was a lot of stuff in the fluid that shouldn't have been there and it caked on the sides of the master. I scraped and wire brushed it out.
I got this bike in Jan. I've used the snow thrower more than the bike. The PO kept a service log. The last oil change was at 69,400 miles, the oil was changed before I brought her home, mileage 70,700. The PO changed the oil in May of 2000. Eleven years and 1300 miles, can you say coma? I am sort of surprised that more of the systems aren't full of muddy peanut butter.
Old bikes aren't new to me. I like carbs; you can keep your injectors, until that really cold night I can't get the beast to start. So far this has been the only problem; next thing to watch for will be a timing belt mess up.
Bill

·
Registered
62 Posts
hi bill, if not sure when they were changed good idea to replace. i know in my manual they say to change between 24-28 thousand miles. if you have a manual not a bad project to do. i think i had about 3 hours or so to change them. while i had it apart i flushed the radiator and put new anti-freeze in. happy trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It lives

For the few of you following my adventures with brake fluid, got all the parts cleaned and back together, system bleed and running! Took her out Tuesday for a run. She shifted well and went like the wind, are your teeth supposed to rattle at 90 mph?
Little thing have concerned now, lack of fuel economy, no cruise control and a slight wobble while making turns at slow speed. I'm sure I'll work these kinks out too.
Thanks for all the advice and help on the peanut butter and DOT 4 slave cylinder sandwich. Is it just me or is there really no room to work under these critters?
Bill

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
LOL I have found it very interesting just how hard it is to do anything. It is worth it though!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey bill, yea not much room for sure. when i did my bike had a boddy of mine has the jack, let me use it. what a difference, gonna buy one for myself, worth the money. not sure on your wobble problem possible wheel bearing? happy trails.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Smiley,
Yep the jack is wonderful thing. Bike was unbalanced on it and had to use a jack stand at the rear to keep her in place. A buddy on another web site has the plans for plywood and two by four ramp/stand to elevate to critter. If space in my shop wasn't at such a premium I'd have one of those too. I think Harbor Freight has a Hydraulic lift stand that is sort of inexpensive, might try that for the next time the old girl needs to be in the air!
Bill
hey bill, yea not much room for sure. when i did my bike had a boddy of mine has the jack, let me use it. what a difference, gonna buy one for myself, worth the money. not sure on your wobble problem possible wheel bearing? happy trails.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Bill, the 1200's had a factory fork brace that was prone to wearing at the bolt holes, causing the head to shake (all the local guys that had 1200's back in the day replaced them with a Superbrace, me included) and that solved it right there. Not saying that after all these years it isn't a wheel bearing, but check the brace too. Glad you had such good luck with the clutch. Went through two timing belt changes while I had my 1200, and was on my third stator, never knew about the soldering and insulating back then (dang). Pay attention to your hoses and carb boots and such, they will crack with age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts