Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
In search of a Gold Wing forum and found this.
Never owned a Gold Wing, think I'm fixin' to. For I already own a
95 Shadow Ace 1100 & '06 Honda VTX 1300R.

Ran across a owner that was wanting to trade his Wing in on a brand new one. We met at a dealership and was there when they said they would only give him 5500$ trade. He was very disappointed. So I stepped up and said I was interested in his bike. He said if I gave him what the dealer would, he would do that.
He knows that the dealers will not give him as much as if he was to sell it himself.
Bike looks new. He kept SUPER maintance on the bike.

1997 1500 Goldwing (white)
Brand New CompuFire Alternator w/sealed battery
New Tires
Front Foot Pegs
Luggage Rack
CB
105,000 miles
*** I was told by some that it's best to change the rear end oil, timing belts, to be on safe side.
What is ya'll opinion on this deal, and about the timing belts thingy, what does that consist of ?
Any & all replies / opinions are appreciated much ....

...... two guns ( jamie )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Very nice and does look well taken care of.
Certainly worth it.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Welcome to the forum from PA. Looks like a nice machine at a decent price. Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's actually a pretty good deal for a '97. As for the belts and the gear oil, I'm surprised the previous oil didn't already take care of that. If he got the sealed compufire battery with the alternator it will last a long time. Mine lasted eight years, but that's using a battery tender on a regular basis. I'd grab it if I were you....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nightwing;87467 said:
What do you mean by " Previous Oil" ? Or did you mean previous owner ?
If so, I have not asked him that yet about the timing belts.

Firm believer in Battery Tender Jr's, have 'em hooked up on all kinds of equipment, bikes, jeeps, trucks, generators, etc .... think I have nine plugged in now.

........ jamie

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Down Under. Sounds like a good bike. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
hello jamie, welcome to GWOF. thats a good looking wing you are getting. did you ask the po about the timing belts beng changed

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome Jamie from Indiana. nice lookin ride ya got there. I ride a 2000 GW 1500 and if you like your 1/2 as much as i like mine, you will love it

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Nice looking ride two guns.

If the previuos owner hasn't changed timing belts than the answer is: Yes change them. I would ask the question though because the way that bike looks like it was cared for I would almost bet it was done like Nightwing alluded.

As far as the oils go. I have always subscribed to the theory that when I buy something I just get all of them changed right up front than I know what I'm running on.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's aka (Bones, Bill(y).) opinion

By the way Welcome to the GWOF & although many people belong to multiple forums (F.W.) you landed on the best of the best. We have a good bunch that are respectful, enjoy discussion without nonsense & love Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
24,115 Posts
WoW! Nice bike and the right color. At that price I could have bought two Wings. Get it or regret it. If that bike had been for sale here locally when I was looking it would be parked in my driveway right now. I had an 06 1300 VTXC.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
did you ask the po about the timing belts beng changed
Have not asked him about the timing belts. Did not even cross my mind until someone asked me about them. I'm not worried about that yet. Just need to get the bike in my possession. He said it was mine for me not to worry. It is 155 miles from me.We have both been working so we are just trying to get our timing together.

..... jamie

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
By the way Welcome to the GWOF & although many people belong to multiple forums (F.W.) you landed on the best of the best. We have a good bunch that are respectful, enjoy discussion without nonsense & love Goldwings.
Thanks for the kind words fossil92 :)
Thank all members for the replies. I feel better now.
Ya'll sound like you do love 'em Gold Wings.

Very close friend, has two wings. '79 & '89. Been for a long, long time to get me to get a Wing, or should I say a motorcycle all together. Took almost 30 years to get me on another. Only been riding again for a 13 months. Bought the '95 Honda Ace 1100 first from a lady who just lost her husband. Done this just to help her out. Plans was to re-sell it .....
That bike sat in the shop for almost a month, covered up, not even trying to advertise it yet. Friend finally talked me into getting that " spook" out of me. You see, 30 years ago I witnessed a couple going head on. Instantly, got rid of the bikes I had. Never really wanted to even see one again.

So,now, After riding down the road a little, two days later I had my endorsement, three weeks later I purchased another bike which was my VTX 1300R. Been trying to catch up on the miles I've lost in all them years. Just didn't know what I've been missing.
Now, think it's time for a Wing !!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i'm not too sure about that " nonsense " part in fossils pose :)

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Just need to get the bike in my possession. He said it was mine for me not to worry. It is 155 miles from me.We have both been working so we are just trying to get our timing together.

..... jamie
Jamie not trying to add to your thoughts, but here is an ole Fossil's Opinion.

Call that man & put money in his hand today if you are serious about this bike.

One time I wanted to buy something & the guy backed out. It will NEVER happen again.

When I want to buy something, I make a deal with someone I give them some money in their hand & that will make it a deal, difficult for them to get out of. When I bought my 1500 it was from an aquaintance (through work), at my insistence he accepted $100. when I went to finalize the transaction he said that he had looked on Ebay & saw that they were going for another 1K to 1.5K more than I was paying. He wasn't upset but I can tell you that the original deal would've gone away.

Sorry for getting long winded & maybe it's not necessary but as always it's just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
i'm not too sure about that " nonsense " part in fossils pose :)

That is the part of life that is worth living for !!!

This is Nonsense !!!
That is exactly what my principle said when I went screaming down the halls my senior year on my dirt bike.
Did that still up some stink !!! Just about as bad as me hanging a deer carcass up on the flag pole on night. Waiting for the principle to "undo" the rope to raise the flag. There again, I hear that word when that carcass hit the ground . " This is Nonsense " .....

All in Good Funning !!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like a great deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.