Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a few hours from putting a down payment on a 2012 GW. The bike hasn't arrived at the dealership, yet, and I won't get the bike until the end of May.

In the meantime, I've got a couple of questions. Like what kind of milage are folks getting on these bikes (with one rider), and what is the maintenance routine I should expect?

My little Suzuki M50 did ask for much, and when it did, the cost for routine maintenance was reasonable. Can I expect similar results with the GW?

Thanks,

I'm looking forward to learning more, and to having a lot of great years on what I hope is a great bike.

-WM

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Welcome from North Texas, Wandering Man. I've owned my Wing for only 1.5 years, so I'm going to defer comments on long-term maintenance to others more qualified. As far as MPG, a lot of that depends on how aggressive you drive and the percentage of in-town, out-of-town mileage you put on the machine. I average about 40 mpg. I'm a pretty laid back driver and usually stay close to the posted limit.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello WM, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
691 Posts
Welcome from the Houston area. You will Love the new ride. It is the RR of bikes. Perhaps more like a Bently. Smooth, quiet yet nimble and powerfull. Just follow the owners man. for service. The Green Wing has 170,000 miles on her and still runs great. Traveling across country on a bike was once a challange but on a Wing it is a joy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. It has taken me quite a long trip to get here. I started off looking at a Suzuki CR109T, then my wife reminded me that I had liked the Kawasaki's when I was looking for my first bike.

So I checked out the Kawas. But first, I had to go look at the Harleys. I made the mistake of letting my wife sit on the back of a Harley touring bike, with the trunk. She broke into a big grin, and I realized right then that my next bike was going to be a true touring bike. Wife has back problems, and the Harley seat was 100 times friendlier to her back than the sissy bar I had on the M50. Plus, she liked the security of the wrap-around back.

So I made the mental jump from a cruiser to a touring bike. I had finally decided the Kawa Voyager was the bike I needed. Between the Voyager, the Yamaha, and the Victory, Wife thought it had the most comfortable seat.

I still hadn't considered the Wing, simply because I thought they were "too big" and too pricey. We dropped the idea of the Harley because of price and reliability.

One of the forums I visited finally convinced me to go back and look at the GW. Which I did. And the GW has sold itself.

So here I am, finally.

-WM

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to the site. I think most of the Wings on this site belong to the "wifes". They just let us pilot them...;)

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing. Maint on the Wing is fairly easy if you can do some of the basics yourself. Things like oil changes, rear drive fluid changes are easy. The air filter is easy, it just takes a long time and a lot of tupperware remeoval to get to it. Tires are about the same as any m/c. The engine does not need a lot as far as valve adjustments etc. If you ride casual you should get about 40-45 mpg. Aggressive driving will result in lower mph.

Enjoy your new Wing and post some pics when you get her....

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome to the site and to the 'Wingdom'! Be sure and post some pics of your new baby when she arrives. A lot of us do regular maintenance on our bikes because we want to, not 'have to'. One investment you might want is the factory service manual. It helps bundles for doing those necessary "additions" that you are bound to rationalize your way into;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts