Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this group but not new to Goldwings. Bought my first Wing in 1977,1979 and went from The GL1000 to a GL1100 (not a good experiance) several GL1200's then went to valkyries in 97, 98, 2000, and another 2000 Valk in 2007. Loved the Valk but moved back into a Wing this year (99 Aspencade) and fell back in love with riding. Just wanted to shout out and say hello.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Shout out back at you from frigid NE PA. Welcome good stuff here & good people too.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
welcome

Hi there Heavy Chevy, welcome to the forum and safe riding with your latest Wing, you'll love the 1500.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there Heavy Chevy, welcome to the forum and safe riding with your latest Wing, you'll love the 1500.
Thanks, I already love it. I had a 2002 1800 for a few weeks and although it handled great (you can feel the 1500 flex in the twisties) and had incredible power I felt really cramped up on the bike. I seem to have way more room on the 1500.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Howdy heavychevy, I'm riding a 2000 GL1500 and really enjoy the bike. I've been riding it for about 4 years and find it roomy with large trunk & saddle bags. Most of my buddys ride GL1800's. I find it hard to justify to bump up to the 1800. I'll see whats up for the next big model change by honda.
BR

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF heavychevy. what was sooo bad about the 1000 / 1100 wings you had

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 1100 was nothing but problems (engine related). My first GL1000 took me 177,000 miles over 20 years and I gave it to my son and it has over 220,000 now on the same bottom end. Great bike! The 79 was my daily commuter (80 mile ride everyday) for 2 years and other than tires and oil changes was also a great bike. I traded it in on a 81 Interstate and three cranks and one compete engine change later it was traded for a 84 Aspencade. I've owned a Honda GL of some variation since 1977. The only one to ever give me an engine problem was my 81. Even through other trial and error with other touring bikes I always had a GL in my garage. I had a Kawasaki Voyager (6 cyl) that was a pure nightmare (electrical) and a few Yamaha Venture Royales (early models) that were great bikes and a few ElectraGlides (peir pressure purchaces) But when it came to Cross country the 77GL took the long distance prize over the years. It was the bike for me that defined a real motorcycle. Other than slinging a U joint about every 60K it's still going strong.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome heavychevy. Wow, you've had your share of scoots. I've actuall never heard of engine issues with the 1100's. Guess that just proves you can get a bad apple in any barrel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just joined this group but not new to Goldwings. Bought my first Wing in 1977,1979 and went from The GL1000 to a GL1100 (not a good experiance) several GL1200's then went to valkyries in 97, 98, 2000, and another 2000 Valk in 2007. Loved the Valk but moved back into a Wing this year (99 Aspencade) and fell back in love with riding. Just wanted to shout out and say hello.
Howdy right back at you. Welcome

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Welcome heavychevy. Wow, you've had your share of scoots. I've actuall never heard of engine issues with the 1100's. Guess that just proves you can get a bad apple in any barrel.
By the time I bought the 1100 and started having problems and with all my previous experiance with my bikes and friends GL.s I knew it was one of those Isolated cases. I never let that one bike stop me from enjoying my GL's

Here is a photo of my first Valkyrie. (my favorite)

My next Valkyrie

My 84 Aspencade (after rainy ride)

My 99 Aspencade

I dint't like the "Buck Rogers" rotor covers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts