Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My name is Bob and I live in Fort Mill, SC.
Well I gotta tell you, in my younger days the last place I thought you would find me is looking for a Goldwing. I always thought, just buy a car. Strange how life and age changes your thinking.

Just turned 52, and I have owned many bikes over the years. I think I owned 2 small bikes before ever having a car as a kid. Never looked back. but financials and stuff have kept me off one for the last 3 years and its time. Im hoping to have enough after my separation to buy a used bike and have settled on the idea of wing. I have done a ton of investigation, talking and the like and suits all my needs. I think I will have to settle at best for a mid years 1500. I say settle, I dont think buying a wing is settling. not for a decent one. I have a 60 mile one way commute to work, besides the gas prices, and mileage on my car, I need something that I can ride a lot of the year with protection. I owned a full dress yamaha some years ago and easily put 10k on it a year, and thats without going anywhere. so I imagine I will again. and, it will give me some me and son time riding on weekends for day and weekend trips, in comfort for him and long distances sometimes. so to me. all that and their longevity with minor maintainence. so I think this is the best choice for me. but never have ridden one. there is a local honda ride today though, so I may ride one of their used ones. Im afraid of getting hooked while I dont yet have cash.lol.

I am hoping this all works out, and Im on this forum for some time. You know how it goes with forums, you join them, stuff happens you never go back. but I hope to be around for a while.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
28,521 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF Bob & good luck on your search. Plenty of good used wings out there so take your time & when you find the one that sings to you all will be well.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....

·
Super Moderator
15,118 Posts
hello bob, welcome to GWOF. from the early years to the late years 1500 wings are some great bikes

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello Bob,
Welcome to the GWOF. I was on this forum for weeks before I bought my 89. These are great people on here and will offer you all the help you can need or want. After watching this forum for weeks, I started my search for the wing I wanted. I found mine on Craigslist locally. I talked to the PO and when I went to see it.....and keeping what these people had said....Mine sang to me. I fell in love with it and never looked back. Stay safe my friend and when you choose your wing...or should I say...your wing chooses you, you will never regret it.

·
Premium Member
17,037 Posts
Welcome to GWOF Bob, good luck on you search for your wing there are a lot of good wings out there.

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. The 1500 is a great machine.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hello Bob welcome to the forum, and good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
G'day, and welcome from Down Under. You will love it on this forum, so jump in and get a couple of new mates. Eric

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Hope you find the perfect Wing..

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Finding your Wing Bob is like a special mission. When I got my first one, an 85 GL 1200 Limited Edition, I asked myself; is this the one? Is this the one that I'll invest some money into and restore it to like new condition and upgrade with accessories that I would like to have? Is this the one that I can have confidence in and ride long distances, not just around town and not worry about it's mechanical reliability? Is this the one that fits my body where I feel comfortable in the drivers seat?

For me, it was not the 1200 but I found a 1500 or more correctly a 95 GL 1500 Aspencade found me. I sold the 1200 and have restored to a like new condition the 95 Pearl Sierra Green Aspencade. This bike looks brand new, as 27,000 original miles purchased from an original owner and has some good mechanical upgrades besides farkles. I trust this bike and plan to take to Nova Scotia from Texas. This is the kind of confidence I was searching for in a bike that I did not have with my first Wing, the 85 LTD.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Ya know when I bought my first new big HD. it felt like this. a mission for the just the right bike. and when I rode my springer classic on a whim after the two I thought I wanted, It did just that, called to me. I went 2 blocks, and said, lets go back to the dealership. the dealer said, oh ya dont like it, I said nope this is my bike, I dont need to test it anymore. I kinda feel that way with the wing search. although Im not as financially good shape as I was then. I feel a good low to mid 90s 1500 would be perfect for me. Im excited about it, but gotta get that cash in hand first to see how much I can go. I went to a honda ride yesterday as advertised, but it wasnt going on, so I didnt get to take on out. but they are servicing a turned in 93 I will ride next weekend.

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Hi Bob and welcome to the GWOF! You're in the right place for input on your Wing purchase. Much knowledge here; not in my postings of course, but in plenty of others!

I used to be your neighbor in Waxhaw, NC. I'm looking forward to riding my nu2me '85 1200 Aspencade back to my old stomping grounds this year or next. The Blue Ridge Parkway alone is worth owning a Wing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Blue Ridge Parkway alone is worth owning a Wing.
I hear ya, and its sooo close right? I went over into gatlinburgh through cherokee last year for a quick vacation. that would be a really nice bike ride to do.....

I saw an ad for a bike in waxhaw today I put on my hit list,,, prolly be gone by the time my funds clear up, but ,,,,, ya never know.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF....

·
Premium Member
8,344 Posts
Bobo (as people in the Carolinas like to call people named Bob or Robert, I recall,_

Our daughter is 28 and our son almost 27, and they still talk about the times we spent riding in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Grand Strand, Tail of the Dragon, US74 out of Ashville, the drop from Galax, VA into NC, etc. I traveled alot back then, so in the spring and fall I'd do a special father-daughter/son trip of 3-4 days around NC, VA, WVa, TN, GA, SC and they are some of my fondest (and most terrifying) memories. And on a Suzi GS850GL! Enjoy your Daddy/Son time together; I assure you that he and you will remember the times together for a long time. And without the saddle-sore memories I have!:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from way down south in Texas.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts