Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
PROLOGUE (April 2010)

My last bike was a new 1977 Yamaha 750 triple with a new idea - a drive shaft; I haven't been on a bike since that time. When a friend purchased a used "102" cubic inch Yamaha Road Star, I went along for the ride - what a gorgeous piece of machinery! That bike got my juices flowing and a couple weeks later, I purchased a new Yamaha V Star 1100 Silverado; again what a gorgeous piece of machinery.
Needless to say, when I attempted to ride it home, the manger of the store noticed my "rust" and offered to trailer the bike home for me. Not wanting to damage it, I eagerly agreed. That night with little traffic in our retirement community, I took her out for a spin. After once around the block, it was like I never was off for any length of time, no less 31 years!

October 2010

After putting 2700 miles on this bike, my riding skills were back where I felt comfortable. Unfortunately, that is when the "short comings" with this Yamaha started showing up. In addition, to do an oil change, which I enjoy doing myself, it required removing two mufflers, front cylinder engine pipe and the front brake caliper reservoir; I don't know what the engineers at Yamaha were thinking when they designed 1100.
When the dealer, Cahill Motorsports LLC of Zephyrhills, Florida offered little help with the transmission problem and engine back firing, I decided to trade the bike in before it lost too much value.
October 22, 2010 I traded it in on my new 2008 Honda VTX1300T. In the attached photos, the blue one is the Yamaha 1100 I traded in, and the black one is my new Honda. After putting 1000 miles on my new Honda, which included an oil change at 600 miles, I completely forgot about any money I lost on the trade in.

December 2010

I was planning on keeping this new VTX till age 65. At that time, when I received my full Social Security, I planned on trading it on a new Goldwing. With the current mess in Congress, I started to think that my Social Security might not be there at age 65, so I decided then to take it early at age 62. Now, my second thought was why wait till I'm older to get the new Goldwing; with the economy in the tank, the dealer made me an offer I could not refuse on a new 2008 Goldwing - AND the rest "as they say" is History!
I enjoy riding so much I joined two motorcycle clubs, the Blue Knights FL17 and the GWRRA.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Congrats on the wing and welcome to the site :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to GWOF. That 'Black Beauty' is niiiice!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Welcome to the World of The Wing.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state and congrats on your new Wing. You made the right choice. Life is short, enjoy why you can. Ride safe

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome to GWOF.

Several including me have somewhat similar stories of riding bikes, driving vans while the kids grew up and then we become kids ourselves again.

Congrats on your evolution of bikes. Sounds like you got it all worked out and the end result is one beaut of a bike. Enjoy the bike, and guessing that in Florida, you will get to ride while we are envious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Almost Seems Unfair

When I decided to buy this black bike, I thought I would want to install all the pretty chrome accessories available.
The day I picked it up, there was an orange one there with every possible chrome accessory installed. Initially I though it looked good, but after a while it was too much for me.
When I got this bike home in the garage, every night before bed I would go in there to admire it. After a week of this, I decided I couldn't do anything to enhance the beauty, Honda had thought of everything.
It "almost seems unfair" that a company that puts so much effort into quality, could produce such a beautiful piece of machinery.
Black is truly beautiful with just a modest touch of chrome, all the owner has to do is keep it clean, which for me will be a labor of love!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Vermont!! Awesome ride and my fav. color!!

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello bn torsney , welcome to GWOF

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Welcome Rusty, congrats on the wing.... nice color, 'course I'm kind of partial to black.

·
Super Moderator
7,668 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Ormond Beach.
Congrats on the new Wing, ride safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow!

It was 62 degrees and about 2 PM when I departed our home for a ride. I got back at about 5 PM after putting 125 miles on the odometer. I have about 700 miles on the bike, I wanted to double the recommended break-in mileage before getting on the bike from a stop. Prior to today, one of the things I had to get use to, was how responsive the throttle was.
Today during the ride, I was on a stretch of highway I am familiar with. With no one else in sight, I slowed to a stop and got on it. This short burst of speed on this new bike from a stop, was without doubt the highlight of my ride today. Shifting at about 5500 RPMs I put it through all 5 gears with the throttle wide open, all I can say is "W O W!!"
Quality, beauty AND performance. I am looking forward to many years of enjoyable rides on this beautiful piece of machinery - Thank you American Honda Motor Company, motorcycle division!

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Welcome from Down Under. Take some photos of your rides so we can see what you see. Thanks Eric.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Give Me A Little Time

Welcome from Down Under. Take some photos of your rides so we can see what you see. Thanks Eric.
I'm expecting a new digital camera from Santa, I just hope you don't expect to see the scenery at 5500 RPMS in fifth gear!

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Photos on the run

Some of our members here get their other half to take photo on the run but may-be more around 2500rpms to 3000rpms in 5th gear. At that speed you will need gas every 150 miles and then you can take photos then. If I am in rush I don't take photos, but now I like to get photos to share my ride. Eric

·
Super Moderator
11,800 Posts
It was 62 degrees and about 2 PM when I departed our home for a ride. I got back at about 5 PM after putting 125 miles on the odometer. I have about 700 miles on the bike, I wanted to double the recommended break-in mileage before getting on the bike from a stop. Prior to today, one of the things I had to get use to, was how responsive the throttle was.
Today during the ride, I was on a stretch of highway I am familiar with. With no one else in sight, I slowed to a stop and got on it. This short burst of speed on this new bike from a stop, was without doubt the highlight of my ride today. Shifting at about 5500 RPMs I put it through all 5 gears with the throttle wide open, all I can say is "W O W!!"
Quality, beauty AND performance. I am looking forward to many years of enjoyable rides on this beautiful piece of machinery - Thank you American Honda Motor Company, motorcycle division!

W O W!

That about sums it up!! I say that every time I ride!!

Welcome to the forum.

Merry Christmas!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts