Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for any insights. I am the proud owner of a new 08GL Airbag model. This is my 8th Honda and 18th motorcycle. It is by far the best tourer I have ever ridden. Unfortunately it has been plagued by many defects. This is both disappointing and uncharacteristic for Honda. The dealer has spent three months trying to figure out why the seats nor grips would not heat at all. Now the grips and the driver's seat heats but not the passenger seat or backrest. Since this is my first Goldwing I do not know what is normal. Would very much appreciate any feedback on how warm these surfaces should feel. BTW, I tested the new fix in 28 degree ambient temperatures with 30-50 MPH winds. We are having very high winds today. During the test the wind chill was 23 degrees F.

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi STP

I have an 04 Wing. I do thank you for your post.

When I do buy another wing it will be without ALL the bells and whistles. My problem with any electric heating on a bike or vest or gloves etc is this; the day you need it half the system will fail leaving you with a worse situation than if you had no heating system at all.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
At this point I would seriously consider going to a different dealer for the fixes. You mentioned the seats and grips but what else have the defects been? If it was a new 08 it should have been prepped and checked by the selling dealer. As you are well aware Honda's and Wings in particular don't usually have many defects.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have an 04 Wing. I do thank you for your post.

When I do buy another wing it will be without ALL the bells and whistles. My problem with any electric heating on a bike or vest or gloves etc is this; the day you need it half the system will fail leaving you with a worse situation than if you had no heating system at all.
Im with you on that one. The day I need heated seats, heated grips, airbag and all that other crap is the day I turn in my Motorcycle endorsement. I'm kinda mad at Honda for not having a basic model of the GoldWing like an Interstate version. If I could have been able to get my Valkyrie to ride as well as My 1500 wing I'd still be riding it. I've been riding GL's since 1977. When the Valkyrie came out I rushed right out and got one, then another and another.

This was my 2000 tourer. Give me an 1800 version of this with air ride and I'm all over it. To me one of the best bikes ever built. It's almost worth the backache to have it back.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Sorry you are having problems with your new Wing. My suggestion would also be to find another dealer. If they have tried for 3 months without success it's time for another dealer. All base model GL1800's now come standard with heated grips and seats. I love mine. I've had the bike out in 40 degree weather and the grips and seat work great. There is a separate heat control for the passenger. Hope you get your issues resolved. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hate to hear you are having trouble,I have a 08 with heated seats and grips,They work well I rode in 28 degree weather and they worked fine, But I still got cold,They get pretty hot do not know a degree sorry, Your back side stays warm but the front end gets cold. I guess at that temp there is not much you can do.
I hope you get all the problems fixed.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Heavy Chevy you have a great looking bike, How fast have you been on it, I bet it handles nice

·
Registered
449 Posts
I enjoy my heated seat and grips. The grips heat real fast and they get pretty warm. I have to back the temp down. The seats are much slower to get hot but they will. Your passenger has their own adjustment for seat heat. The backrest is not heated for the passanger. Your troubles sound like an inferior dealership. Try somewhere else if you can.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Heavy Chevy you have a great looking bike, How fast have you been on it, I bet it handles nice
I sold that one(sellers remorse) and maybe had it to about 125-130 a few times. The one I had before that one I had a magneson blower on it and and sans the fairing and it was a good bit faster. I also had a higher 4th 5th gear ratio set in it as well. I have no idea how fast it would go. Ive only had my 99 Wing to 105 once. Might find out how much more when the weather warms up. Here is a photo of the one that had the blower a few months before the blower install. It was a 98 I bought new that was a standard with creame and burgandy paint. Had lots of money in this one. This one was stolen during bike week in daytona

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I sold that one(sellers remorse) and maybe had it to about 125-130 a few times. The one I had before that one I had a magneson blower on it and and sans the fairing and it was a good bit faster. I also had a higher 4th 5th gear ratio set in it as well. I have no idea how fast it would go. Ive only had my 99 Wing to 105 once. Might find out how much more when the weather warms up. Here is a photo of the one that had the blower a few months before the blower install. It was a 98 I bought new that was a standard with creame and burgandy paint. Had lots of money in this one. This one was stolen during bike week in daytona

Man that is a cool bike, It would make me sick and want to hurt someone if my Bike got stolen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
beg to differ

I enjoy my heated seat and grips. The grips heat real fast and they get pretty warm. I have to back the temp down. The seats are much slower to get hot but they will. Your passenger has their own adjustment for seat heat. The backrest is not heated for the passanger. Your troubles sound like an inferior dealership. Try somewhere else if you can.
i have an 09 and the pass. backrest DOES heat,maybe yours has a problem and you need to see your dealer...no offense!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
I just purchased my first Goldwing also, but a 2010 model. The grips heated up fine but the seat never felt like it was working. They told me it was heating up, but after my second questioning that they checked and it wasn't getting up to what it should. Which is 90 degrees. They ended up replacing my seat and I went out riding in the low 40's and it did feel like it got warm. I ended up turning it down off max but it doesn't get as hot as the grips, which I'm told is normal.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
A beauty, Heavy!

That black and red Valk is a beauty!

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 06 GL heater module went bad. Fortunatly it was still under warranty. Wife loves the warm passanger seat and I love the heat up front. I don't know how hot they are supposed to get, but I keep the seat turned up to max and usually back the grips off of max a little.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My '08 has heated seat and grips. I've had it out in 17 degree weather and they worked great. My hands still got a little cold but the seat kept my core nice and warm. The only problem I've noticed is that the right grip gets a little warmer than the left, but no big deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts