Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1997 SE 1500 Goldwing and want to know how to remove the instrument dash panel. There is some loose material in front of the left speaker (inside of the dash panel) that I need to remove. I assume I will need to remove the left mirror and tried to do that, but only got the bottom part loose and couldn't go any farther. I have a 1" thick nice service manual with nice pictures on this, but all it says is to "remove" the mirror not exactly how to do it. Would like to see pictures as well as specific step by step instructions on how to reemove the mirror and the instrument dash panel to get to the left speaker. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Tooneyman, The step by step will be long. I can tell you that I have pictures of mine torn down to put a Hi/Lo headlight switch in. I'll post them for you.

The best thing you can do is take your time & just start taking things off. I know that sounds too simple but truthfully that's what you have to do. The mirrors one screw is a bear because of the angle, take off the trim & rubber it will be a bit easier.

One of our other members Love2Ride tore his down this summer to paint it.

I can also tell you what you probably see in front of your left speaker is the black cloth cover. The glue isn't holding anymore. I had the same thing on my '95 & fixed when I changed the switch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
*What Fossil said is true. A lots of stuff has to come off.
*Both Mirrors. I replaced the screws with bolts now I can use a nut driver. The mirrors do tip front and back just takes an effort, makes it easier to at the screws. Also if I recall you have to remove the windshield levers also. Besureto note how they go back on.
*Windshield garnish
*Windshield
*Seat ( not kidding)
*Key panel
* two space filler for the fork tunnel that attach to radio unit
*Radio Gas cap door Unit. (two acorn nuts visable plus inside the gas door are two levers one on each side that release the unit)
The radio can be slid back enough to free the lower part of the dash cover.
If I recall the fairing pocket have to come out to get a few tabs on the radio unit loose.
* head light adjuster knob.
Now you should be about ready to remove the dash cover.
Not hard to do just takes time.
Like Fossil said start taking parts off.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and pics. Yes, it does look like some black cloth mesh is in front of the speaker. You can see it float around when I'm riding the bike. Not really a big deal and can still hear out of that speaker, just eventually will want to get that material out of there. Besides, I want to know how to take apart some of the items anyway to just know how to do it. It's just the procedure I don't know about yet, but will learn. Just don't want to break anything if you know what I mean, lol. Appreciate the help guys .... :)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey Tooneyman,

I think this took a couple hours first time but instructions are good it can be done in less than an hour if you just get after it.
After the mirrors are off, there is a 4th screw exposed next to the 3 that removed the mirrors, loosen these to pull the chrome nose piece (garish). Pull it a little forward to get passed these two screws, then pull upward. (there are tabs that hold the garish in place across the bottom.

You will have to take off the two knobs on the dashboard (very small mm set screw on the side of the knob, slide off and pull washers. Keep track of how what order they come off as there are several.

This sounds like a real pain but it really is easy. Set aside 3 or 4 hours and you can do it. #2 phillips and a 10mm will almost tear this down to bare bones except for the seat bolts. I had the same problem as you, the foam dust covers had rotted and fallen and it was all I saw riding down the road. just irritatin'.

Good luck-again, not that bad, just follow what Ron listed.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
speakers

Tooneyman, I just got to my speakers following what these guys are telling you. It was my first time to do it and it really is not that hard. The screws of the mirrors are the only "difficult" things to get to. The rubber around the mirrors have to be squeezed, bent, pushed, etc. whatever to get to the screws but it can be done. BTW, after you get the screws on each side of the garnish off you have to slide the garnish to the right for it to come off of the bottom attachments. This was the only thing I had to figure out. I too am new at dis assembly but getting there thanks to the help of these guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts