Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody , I have a honda goldwing 2006 with , GPS and CB radio and I would like to interface my cell to my bike audio system , how can I do that , please can you help , the dealer ask for 1000 dollars plus , maybe is not that much , any help will be very appreciate , thankssssssss.:)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, you've opened up a sizable can of worms with this one. I have an 07 and have been trying to figure out how to do this for a long time. With no results I might add. Several months ago I decided to tackle this problem so I decided to try and reverse engineer this problem. So, I did a flow chart of things that had to happen to tie the phone into the bike audio system. Several (8 or so) pages later, I took 2 aspirins and a couple of beers and went to bed. If it were to be done, there are only 3 ways that I can come up with that would work. To be able to use the CB talk switch for talking, you would have to tie everything into the CB option. Then there is the AUX thats used for I-Pod music and that leaves the Intercom. Here comes the rub.

If you found a way to tie it into the CB portion, you would have to find a way to discern between a phone call and a CB transmission. Otherwise you would be broadcasting your end of the conversation over the CB whenever you talk by pressing the Talk switch on the left handle bar. Lets leave it there for a moment.

If you found a way to tie it into the Intercom, both the mic and earpieces would be live all the time as well as the regular intercom. Leave that there for a moment.

If you found a way to tie it into the AUX, you would and can hear the phone but you can't transmit with the AUX. Its receive only. A way would have to be devised to make the mic hot in that mode.

In looking at the schematics, and comparing them to the truth table, you find out that Mother Honda didn't want anyone to tie in a phone to the audio system. The Transmit portion is separate from anything else and is tied to the CB portion only. And to top it all off, the Audio Unit is way more than one unit. There are pre-amps, amps, audio units and drivers and connections for all the Audio functions out the wazoo. Its a monumental task just trying to figure out what signals go where. And since there are no schematics of the insides of these units, you have to guess at whats going on inside each unit. Has to be full of And Gates, Or Gates, Nand Gates and chips that only the manufacturer and Honda know whats inside. Ms. Honda also played the impedance mismatch game. The units expect a certain level of signal as an input and they boost or attenuate that level as an output and no two levels seem to the the same. The level for the CB unit is one reading and the level for the Aux is another and same for the Intercom. With all this said, it is my opinion that at this time there is no viable way to just plug and play an I phone into the Audio System as it stands.

One of the manufactures offers a product that may work. It is a "replacement" for the CB and has inputs for i-pod and GPS, I think. It runs around 500 dollars but it has both CB and FRS Radio channels. Its sold on WingStuff as a CB replacement. From the description, you could use your I-Phone through an external GPS which is Bluetooth capable. The item number to look for is
Item #: BPGL2WAY.

Truthfully, this is a nightmare and although it seems simple, it is not. My solution has been to put the cell phone in the trunk and check it when I get gas. Its not worth the hassle to try and "home remedy" this problem. Should you come up with a solution, let us know cause you are not alone in wanting to connect your phone into the GW Audio system. Sorry, but thats the best I can do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
We have installed at least 12 of the J&M units and everyone is satisfied with the performance of their phone and the music.
The problem with any Bluetooth headset is the necessity to charge the batteries.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Maybe Im just too darn old? I know that I am far from being old in this crowd, no offense :D Maybe I am just to cheap? I have spend more of my life without a cell phone and will be just fine with it in the trunk!

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
We have installed at least 12 of the J&M units and everyone is satisfied with the performance of their phone and the music.
The problem with any Bluetooth headset is the necessity to charge the batteries.
True. That's why I have power plugs in the bike. They will mostly get a day ride workout. I really can't see me wife fiddling with the cord hook-up and frankly, I don't care for the cord either. It's all about compromise unfortunately.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for your replies , I have to find the solution , I don't want to have a Bluetooth on my helmet and a headset at the same time , that's no good , I need to connect everything together ,one cord one headset ,thanks again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you for your replies , I have to find the solution , I don't want to have a Bluetooth on my helmet and a headset at the same time , that's no good , I need to connect everything together ,one cord one headset ,thanks again.
J & M has a new MP3 player that is bluetooth capable. You can link your phone to it via bluetooth and when you recieve a call it works with the drivers head set. Nolan has a new helmet set up that I looked at Friday. It plugs into the Goldwing cord and has a bluetooth module that clips right into the side of the helmet. With this set up both passenger and rider can sync their phones to their own helmet. The Nolan stuff is not cheap though. A couple lids with all the options are going to set you back over $1000.00

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scala Rider G4

If it works as advertized that is pretty sweet. I'm opting for the wireless headsets from Scala which will give me and her two-way talk and Bluetooth phone. It also has a built in radio tuner.
If you're looking at the Scala Rider G4, I can offer this input as an owner of a pair of these. I bought the Powerset which provides two units for myself and my wife.

First off, the radio reception is very poor compared to the audio on the wing or in your car as you have no external antenna (the flip up doesn't do anything for the FM radio).

On the other hand, the bluetooth to a phone or another G4 unit is very good. Bear in mind that the intercom system will disconnect after 20-30 seconds of dead air. Reconnect is NOT instantaneous. It takes about 10 seconds after you start talking for the system to reinitiate the connection between two headsets. My wife says "beep" in the same sound that the unit makes to reconnect the link whenever it drops.

The benefit for this system is that it is wireless and works when you're riding two-up or on separate bikes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts