Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I recently purchased a 1981 Goldwing 1100 Interstate. It is my first Goldwing and I love it. Everything is working pretty fine and I am enjoying the rides, but I am having trouble determining the right amount of oil in the crankcase. The little view window on the motor is just dark. Looking at it is not useful to determine anything. BTW I have changed the oil and the filter when I purchased the bike. Is there any method/way to determine the actual oil level? I appreciate any assistance you experts can provide.

Thanks..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
First thing is make sure the bike is on the center stand and as level as possible. Let the bike sit for about 5 minutes with the engine off. If your inspection/sight glass is covered with a film of dirt and oil sweat, wipe it with a clean cloth. You should see two horizontal lines at about 1/3 and 2/3 up the glass. Oil should be above the lower mark and below the upper mark. If the glass is still dark, there is too much oil; below and you have to add oil.

·
Registered
835 Posts
If I recall correctly, my 1100 sight glass had an interior wiper blade, which required a screwdriver (slot), to operate the little blade. 1)..it's in a bad spot and unless you take yoga, you could cramp up:eek: 2) it still didn't give me a clear picture of the oil level. Probably worn blade after all those years or the glass was scarred. Dunno.
I relied on a dip stick which may have been an option, can't remember as I bought it used.
I'm sure more knowledgeable riders than I will chime in. (I did love that wineberry Wing :).
Hope this helps,
Strat

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing is make sure the bike is on the center stand and as level as possible. Let the bike sit for about 5 minutes with the engine off. If your inspection/sight glass is covered with a film of dirt and oil sweat, wipe it with a clean cloth. You should see two horizontal lines at about 1/3 and 2/3 up the glass. Oil should be above the lower mark and below the upper mark. If the glass is still dark, there is too much oil; below and you have to add oil.
Great help... Thanks a lot :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you can buy an aftermarket dipstick from jc whitney and be done with the sight glass

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
First of all you have to park your vehicle on a flat surface and check the oil level when the engine is cold. There will be hood release lever beneath the dashboard and you need to pull the lever to open the hood. Now you have to find out the latch below the hood and squeeze it and open the hood. Search for the dip stick which is a long metal piece with a loop at one end and will be sticking out of the engine. Normally you can see it at the center of the engine and it will be colored brightly or marked with the letters “oil”.
Are you for real dude???????????????:eek:

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Reminds me of another guy who was here briefly a few months ago!

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Sounds like someone was trying to describe checking the oil on a Honda Civic, not a Honda Goldwing.:confused:
There's one in every crowd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts