Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Been riding a 1980 Wing since 1995, just upgraded last month to a 2001.

I want to install a Bluetooth module and am 90% of the way there.

The module was designed to plug into the white (yellowing) CD player connection, so that was easy.

But now it needs power.

My question is do I snip the black wire running to the red connector on the left and grab my power from there?

Or am I off base, and I should do something else?

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
If you have a voltmeter use it to find switched power. I would check both of the red connectors. One of the should be power.

That is the best info I can give you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 2005 and under each pocket (right side and left side) I have a red connector as shown in your photo. They are both power connectors switched on with the key. The one on the left is for aux plug with standard Cigarette style receptacle socket and the one on the right was for heated grips which I don't need. So, I use both for aux. I can charge my MP3 player, My phone, GPS, Voltmeter, and my Sena Freewire which bluetooths everything to my Sena 20S helmet. I use a "Y" plug for the right side for the Freewire and USB. Then for the right side I have a double USB.

In the trunk where the CD Player wouild go, I have the J&M )
Digital Music/usb/aux/bluetooth (JMDM-GL) that plays using a flash drive. The flash drive is divided into Root Folder and 4 other folders each holding 95 songs. You control the flash drive is controlled with the CD Radio Buttons. This unit is plug and play.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 2005 and under each pocket (right side and left side) I have a red connector as shown in your photo. They are both power connectors switched on with the key. The one on the left is for aux plug with standard Cigarette style receptacle socket and the one on the right was for heated grips which I don't need. So, I use both for aux. I can charge my MP3 player, My phone, GPS, Voltmeter, and my Sena Freewire which bluetooths everything to my Sena 20S helmet. I use a "Y" plug for the right side for the Freewire and USB. Then for the right side I have a double USB.

In the trunk where the CD Player wouild go, I have the J&M )
Digital Music/usb/aux/bluetooth (JMDM-GL) that plays using a flash drive. The flash drive is divided into Root Folder and 4 other folders each holding 95 songs. You control the flash drive is controlled with the CD Radio Buttons. This unit is plug and play.
Thanks Terry, that's super helpful. I hadn't looked under my right pocket yet!
And I hadn't heard of the J&M before.... more cool gadgets to add to my wish list.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Hey Mad trapper
Will that give Bluetooth for the OEM radio?
I have never looked into this
Enjoy

every day is a good day......some are just gooder than others

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will that give Bluetooth for the OEM radio?
I'm in Canada, but I got this unit from Amazon: CD Aux Cord Adapter 3-Pin Wireless Audio Bluetooth Adapter Cable Stereo Music Changer Connector Fit for for Honda GL1800 Goldwing: Amazon.ca: Automotive

It ended up being a simple connection. The white connection plugged right in. I snipped the wire going to the red connector and made a 3-way connection with the bluetooth module.

My phone now "Bluetooths" through the AUX of my OEM radio.

So I can play my downloaded tunes, Sirius XM, Spotify....

Works great!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I'm in Canada, but I got this unit from Amazon: CD Aux Cord Adapter 3-Pin Wireless Audio Bluetooth Adapter Cable Stereo Music Changer Connector Fit for for Honda GL1800 Goldwing: Amazon.ca: Automotive

It ended up being a simple connection. The white connection plugged right in. I snipped the wire going to the red connector and made a 3-way connection with the bluetooth module.

My phone now "Bluetooths" through the AUX of my OEM radio.

So I can play my downloaded tunes, Sirius XM, Spotify....

Works great!
That's interesting. I have a Sena SR10 plugged in via the 5pin plug in the left hand box, and a MP3 player plugged in to the CD port in the trunk. Lately I've been connecting my phone via bluetooth to my helmet and using that for Spotify, but of course I can't use the bike's volume controls for that. You mention that you have your phone now coming in via the AUX channel of your radio, but the bluetooth reciever you linked says it's a "CD Aux Cord Adapter". The way you have it connected, does it basically replace the 3.5mm aux plug from the left hand glove box? I have a 2006, so maybe a little different wiring than your 2001. I'm just wondering if I can use that adapter to bluetooth my phone (for Spotify) into the radio's AUX channel, and still keep my mp3 player connected in the trunk for use on the CD channel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's interesting. I have a Sena SR10 plugged in via the 5pin plug in the left hand box, and a MP3 player plugged in to the CD port in the trunk.
Okay, so I need to preface this by saying I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING! This Wing is new to me and I've never done anything stereo/audio/motorcycle electrical before. I don't even know what any of the parts are called!

I looked in my trunk and although I have the holes for the CD wiring I don't have any wires.

I made my connections in the left hand box as per my original photo above.

At first I didn't think what I connected worked because I assumed that since I plugged the Bluetooth device into what I thought was the white "CD connector" that my Bluetooth would play once I pressed the CD button on the dashboard.

That didn't work so I tried the AUX button and low and behold I had sound with volume that could be controlled by the bike.

So I'm assuming, as long as you don't disconnect your CD player, whatever you have connected via the AUX should work fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
That's interesting. I have a Sena SR10 plugged in via the 5pin plug in the left hand box, and a MP3 player plugged in to the CD port in the trunk. Lately I've been connecting my phone via bluetooth to my helmet and using that for Spotify, but of course I can't use the bike's volume controls for that. You mention that you have your phone now coming in via the AUX channel of your radio, but the bluetooth reciever you linked says it's a "CD Aux Cord Adapter". The way you have it connected, does it basically replace the 3.5mm aux plug from the left hand glove box? I have a 2006, so maybe a little different wiring than your 2001. I'm just wondering if I can use that adapter to bluetooth my phone (for Spotify) into the radio's AUX channel, and still keep my mp3 player connected in the trunk for use on the CD channel.
I think you have the gist of it. The 2001 and 2006 should be the same. Doing this will give you volume and mute functions of the phone audio but I think you will need to access the phone directly to change favorites/playlists or whatever SPOTIFY functions you have in mind. This is just an alternative to plugging in to the headphone jack.

For others that may read this, the white plug under the left pocket supports a headphone type plug or in this case a bluetooth dongle that can receive audio from some type of device. This AUX jack has limited handlebar controls while the factory CD player (or a MP3 player that simulates the factory CD) which allows you to switch folders, favorites, etc. from the handlebars. This does not allow you to speak on the phone through your headset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is just an alternative to plugging in to the headphone jack.
Exactly, I was initially searching for a headphone jack plugin, but then I found this.
You're correct, I can only control the sound. I can't access anything on my phone through the bike itself.
Having Bluetooth instead of the headphone is just one less exposed wire to deal with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts