Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In trying to remove the rear tire from my 1200 I can't figure how to raise the back tire to get the axle above the muffler.

The manual just says put a block of wood under the tire thick enough to raise it. I am struggling to compress the rear shocks though. I released the air pressure and I ran a tie down strap from the front crash bar to the centerstand so the stand can't fold up while I work on it. BUT when I try to pry up the tire the whole bike wants slide forward across the floor.

Tried pulling it up with a ratchet strap around the top of the wheel and the seat but I couldn't get a good purchase and didn't want to tear the seat or bend the chrome rails.

Any help appreciated.

PS I assume the rear shocks need to compressed as the factory manual says to remove the bottom shock bolts but nothing about removing them completely - something I'll try to avoid if possible. That said I can't see at this point why I needed to remove the bottom shock mount bolts.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I read on another site that you unbolt the shocks @ the bottom and move them/tie out of the way. No need to "compress" the shocks. There are several other things to remove, rear fender, caliper, etc then you can place something under the wheel to keep it high enough to clear the mufflers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BR

I was thinking that might be the reason for removing the bottom bolts. That said even with those bolts out the swing arm doesn't want to drop down. The rear tire is still a couple inches off the ground. perhaps it needs a little prying to pop the bottom mounts free of the swing arm.

·
Super Moderator
11,812 Posts
The lower bolts need to come out to lower the wheel far enough for removal. I used a bottle jack to raise the swing arm back up to remove the axle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should the swing arm just drop down after getting the bottom shock bolts out? (the tire hits the ground?)

Mine certainly hasn't.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After prying the shocks out of the swing arm i was able to pull them back and pry up the wheel as suggested.

Wheel is off, now to get the front off as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts