Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

Just found this today. Plan to try it here soon. also has link to remove tires. Not as clear cut but they eventually get it answered.

If I use the balancing beads, I can clean the wheels at my leisure and not spend any $$$$ on non value added costs.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Now that is brilliant!! How about the removal quicky!! LOL

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Someone has got to try this from the forum just to confirm it on a Goldwing. With Centramatic Tire Balancers and getting the tires on-line..............This could be a Goldmine find. Your at your best when you have nothing to do.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone has got to try this from the forum just to confirm it on a Goldwing. With Centramatic Tire Balancers and getting the tires on-line..............This could be a Goldmine find. Your at your best when you have nothing to do.
I am not sure that is a compliment but I will give it a shot here in the next few weeks myself. I saved a web page last month with a set of tires for $305 at my door. Don't remember the cost of the beads but a big part of this is for me is the ability to really clean the wheels and do the brake pads while I am at it. I will post it when I get there if no one else has done it by then.

That leaves an extra $200 left over for useless chrome.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read some of the comments. Someone brought up plastic " tywraps ". Could they work for removal.
Missed the comments. Don't see why not. Just as long as they are long enough to where the latch end on the ones don't catch inside the inner rim.

SWEEEET idea, I like the ty wraps. I have been looking at HF's tire changer all totaled $200. The price is right but I gotta stop buying stuff that takes up floorspace.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I like the tie wraps idea!! Industrial style from work I think I can make work! But as he said straps are cheap at .99 cents

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I'm looking at my rear tire bill back on June 5th. Metzeler ME880 tire $225.99;VA tax $1.00; Valve Rim ( DUN ) ? $12.13; Hold Rim Valve $ 4.15; Mount and balance rear tire $62.40; Total $321.06 Bear with me. I'm checking to see if the potential money saved here by doing it myself will pay for the Balancers.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I like the tie wraps idea!! Industrial style from work I think I can make work! But as he said straps are cheap at .99 cents
Feeding those wide floppy straps around the tire on the removal end of this operation appears in my mind to be a challenge. Where is the link to the removal side of this ?

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Feeding those wide floppy straps around the tire on the removal end of this operation appears in my mind to be a challenge. Where is the link to the removal side of this ?
I don't see a problem, the one is is just the material opposite the buckle end of these.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah, I am pretty useless but as they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is killed. Wait, that was the wrong one. I'll have to think a while to remember a better response.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
That's brutal. Can't even make a tire swing for the grand kids out of it now. I'm kind of disappointed. Anyone can slash a tire. This method is so obvious I found it not even worth considering, at first.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's brutal. Can't even make a tire swing for the grand kids out of it now. I'm kind of disappointed. Anyone can slash a tire. This method is so obvious I found it not even worth considering, a first.

If you cut it twice, you will have two swing seats.

picky, picky, picky.

And if don't like their idea, go green, pour some gas on it and set it on fire. Come back tomorrow.:D No recycling required.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I sent that link to a friend that used to change the tires on his 1500 himself but gave it up when he bought the 1800. That rear tire on an 1800 is a killer even with a tire changer. As far as removal my friend would cut the old tires off on his 1500. Why struggle with them if you are just going to throw them away anyway.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ok I've changed a couple sets of tires on my 1500 and looking at those links find it hard to believe it could be done on a 1500 let alone a 1800. I have tire tools and I know what a pain it could be even with tools. My first problem is breaking the tire beads from the rim, and how are you going to cut the beads if they are stuck to the rim? A quality tire lube helps in breaking the beads but most shops don't use the lube that I do on heavy trucks. Secondly, you can put the first bead on without tools, with a proper lube, but the second can be a real pain. I have changed thousands of truck tires, 22.5" and 24.5" are the easiest and as rim diameter decreases it gets harder to do. 14" rims are a real bitch and 16" are not much better. Car and truck rims also have a deeper dish in the rim to help with mount/dismount. Try standing on a 1800 rear tire laying on the floor, you'll barely get the sidewalls to collapse.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
All hope is for it, all reason is against it. love2ride will come through with his experience, weather positive or negative in this matter. That is a surety.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If there is one job I refuse to do myself it would be removing/mounting tyres. I'like the idea of getting a spare rear wheel and having a tyre ready to go on it for when replacement time comes. Then I can clean and polish the rims as I please as well. Beads are problematic if you have TPMS be it OEM or aftermarket. I'm getting Centramatics asap.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts