Honda Goldwing Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bike,s

Is't great when the wife loves to ride it makes getting away so much fun.
G,Day mate yes i would be great if the Mrs was still hear to ride with me as we used to ride before we where married ,Then Kids come along and other things are more important getting a House My first love Passed away in 93 if it wasnt for the ULYSSES Club hear i dont know where i would be as in 98 a Drunk driver killed my number 2 Son 2 weeks after his 21st B/Day now i ride my Goldwing Asp i keep her in the house spare daughters bedroom i dont like to have it in the car port as the UV Rays bugger the paint work up very fast it a Candy Apple Red have a look on youtube goldwingman1500 There lots of silly Vid for you guys Cheers for now .??:rolleyes::eek:

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Got my first two wheeled motorized ride when age 12. It wasn't a motorcycle but a Cushman Husky, if anyone knows what that is. Didn't need a license in AZ. in thouse days and rode the heck out of it. Been riding a variety of makes since, about 63 years. Will ride as long as I am able.

·
Registered
14 Posts
'bout 8. The basic 3.5 horse mini bike of the era, early 70's. Then a Suz' 90. First street bike was a CB125 Honda, then a 77 KZ 650 Brand spankin new.

22 years pass, 2000 I got back on, bought a 82 Interstate and never looked back.

Now I have 4 running bikes....

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I was around 11 taking motorbikes in Dreux France for joy rides the base Air Police did not think to much of that . But sir they don't need a key so why can't any one ride one ? No humor in those guys !

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Got my first two wheeled motorized ride when age 12. It wasn't a motorcycle but a Cushman Husky, if anyone knows what that is. Didn't need a license in AZ. in thouse days and rode the heck out of it. Been riding a variety of makes since, about 63 years. Will ride as long as I am able.
I know of the Cushman Iken. first two wheeler I ever rode was a spin-off of the Cushman. Can anyone remember riding one of these? My brother and my cousin each had one. I rode his and my other cousin rode his brother's around our yards for two summers. auto clutch and handlebar shifter 3 speed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
I know of the Cushman Iken. first two wheeler I ever rode was a spin-off of the Cushman. Can anyone remember riding one of these? My brother and my cousin each had one. I rode his and my other cousin rode his brother's around our yards for two summers. auto clutch and handlebar shifter 3 speed.
Look at all that room in the saddle bag :eek:

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
And the seat flips over sideways, storage under there too;)

Hey, who changed the order of the smilies? Bwahahaha

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Bump to the top for the newer members.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
I had rode a few of my friends and my brothers bike, but the first one that was actually mine I got when I was 16 in 1968. It was a 90cc Bridgestone and it would run 55mph flat out. Rode it on the street and a lot of trail riding, really beat this thing up.
90cc Bridgestone.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was 10 on a 3.5 hp minibike. I got step thru 50 next and a Kawasaki 100 after that. My first street bike was a CB550, then a 77 GL1000. I went somewhere every weekend on that bike. It was the Mercedes of bikes. Gas was expensive, but that bike got great mileage. It would go 55 in first gear. It's a wonder I'm still here.

·
Registered
963 Posts
My earliest memory was on a tote gote riding behind my older cousin at the family Easter event. I could hardly wait to get big enough to reach the ground so I could ride it myself. Fast forward a few years I was 9 and my dad bought an orange Kawi 500 triple. He would take me sometimes. I kept the brochure he got and I dreamed of having my own bike. Another year past I was 11 I think. 5th grade. I had been on my friends Honda SL70 a couple times and loved it. I couldn't get motorcycles out of my head I was obsessed with them. One day that summer we went to my grandparents house. Grampa rolled out of the garage the most beautiful thing in the world! A blue Honda trail 70! That night I carved a deep figure 8 in the back lawn down into the dirt. I rode that thing all over the hills behind where my grandparents owned some property. Take away my bike you might as well kill me. I love riding today as much if not more than I did my first time on that tote gote!

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is a cool thread. My first ride was my Dad's first cousin and best friend, R T Hollis, was a Harley rider. At a family reunion he took me on his 48 Harley with the foot clutch for a short ride on the dirt roads around his Dad's house. Wanted one ever since. Finally got me one of my own in 2002 on my 50th birthday. My first bike. A 93 Harley Low Rider, then an Electra Glide and now the Wing. About 150 k miles in 18 years. Since retirement trying to make up for lost time.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
Since I was about 12 years old we always had some version of motorized 2 wheeler. Started with mini bikes and progressed to a Honda 90 cc that had vice grips for a clutch handle and shifter. When I was 16 I got a Yamaha 125 dirt bike that only lasted a couple of months until I sold it to get my first truck. A few years later and married living in Seoul Korea I bought a Yamaha 250 street bike to commute. Also had a Yamaha 650-4 but ended up selling that. I got in a minor accident with the 250 and had a 30 year hiatus until I bought my 2015 Goldwing after retiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I was about twelve........ it really wasn't mine..... it was a mini bike my dad bought.... FOX, had a 5hp engine..
I kept begging to ride it. He finally said once I was able to get it starting in the morning, I could ride it. First start of the day...... you yanked, and yanked, and yanked, and yanked....it was an old Tecumseh motor. I showed up with down at his shop one day..... he said, "so.... see ya finally got it started.... go park it (he pointed at a corner in the shop)... you don't have on the helmet and no gloves"

My first real motorcycle was a 1980 Suzuki 550 that I bought when I was 20
It was scary fast....... six speed tranny, and the speedo only said 85.... and it would do that in 2nd
and would lift the front tire if you were going 50 or under and went from 6th to 3rd and full throttle
you only had time to get to 4th running the quarter mile.

It's a wonder I didn't hurt myself

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm guessing, but probably 5 yrs old for me. It was on a Z50a like detdrbuzzard's pic, only that one was red/silver. I remember the only way to reach the ground was to hang off the side with one leg over the seat. I rode that one until I was old enough to kick start the CT-70 (exact same color as detdrbuzzards) by leaning it against a wood chopping block to keep it upgright. Again, no way to reach the ground while fully on the seat. When I was about 10 I used my own money to buy an a 1982 Honda Z50R of my very own for $350. We put MANY miles on those bikes running around the farm. When I was about 14 my dad bought a 1985 XR350R that was in like new condition. I rode that for about a year, then he sold it. So I found another one and bought it, must have been about '88 or '89. I still have that bike, and my youngest son and I took his XR80 and the 350 out just this past weekend. My first street bike of my own was a '91 NX250 that I wish I never sold, that thing was amazing. I've had several other bikes over the years, but the current stable is full up. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
My mom and dad bought me a Honda 50CC when I was 15 years old......................... I'm now 69 years and have always had a motorcycle in my parents garage, till I moved out at 19yrs old and bought my own home, and there has always been a motorcycle in my own garage as well...........(I have lost ct. on how many bikes I have owned)

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My Dad had a power supplies store - mowers, auto parts, quite a variety - and sold mini bike kits. I would have been 8 or 9 when he brought home a kit with a little Briggs motor on it. We rode it a lot around the small farm we grew up on. Probably my most vivid memory of that bike was wiping out on some wet grass and dislocating my elbow. :eek:

61 - 78 of 78 Posts