Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how old we're you when you got on you first motorcycle. I was at the tender age of around 7 when the older boy up the block took me around the area for a ride for what seemed like forever. A couple of years later when we moved out to the sticks and the two boys my age had bikes and let me ride and ride and ride. I could never talk my mother into one of my own, (not as long as you live here) so when I had the $$$ and a full time job and a place of my own I found my 77 GL1000 for $1300 and yes that is when I found my way in life. I don't blame anyone person or any film of the open road I just can't seem to get enough of it, the sun the air the rain the heat and the people that love the same thing. Ok how about you how old and why and what makes you just love this stuff. O yes the Perkins get together type stuff is the BEST.:D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
I was 40 years young

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I was 12 and stole a neighbors bike . I think it was a 50 , can 't remember, that was 47 years ago. I bought a Suzuki 550 in 1972 , sold in 75 , bought another 550 in 1980 , sold it and bought a Yamaha V-star 1100 in 2003 and the Wing in 2010.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Summer of 72....I was 11...I've been riding since! :D
1st bike was a 1966 Honda CL160 scrambler!
Mark

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was 11yrs old, parents were getting divorced and dad really pissed mom off by getting me a yamaha GT 80 for my b-day. only about a mile from where i live today, in fact every week during fire season i ride my dirt bike up to the watch tower on the same rode i took my first ride on. I was all over these hills on that little gt 80. then my dad rode a honda 750four that gave a taste of the road. his was bit to big for me at that age as it was full dressed. his best friend rode a naked kz 650 and let me ride it on the back roads with dad following me. I WAS HOOKED!!!! there are few times i have bee without a bike, mostly rode trail bikes. then got my first wing about 5yrs back and fell in love all over again, made my wife a promise that we will not be without a bike as we do believe it has saved our marriage. 43yrs old and hopefully i got many years left to ride, when i can no longer hold up two wheels i guess i go to three for as long as i can. lucky for me my wife grew up on the back of a bike and loves it as much as i do, she has no interest of riding her own.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I must have been around 8 or 9. I was scoting around on a Briggs and Stratton mini bike. My cousins came to visit and I got my first taste of something with gears. It was an Aramichi (sp) AMF Harley mini bike. Got my license at 15 and was on a 125 Kaw for a year. Found a Suzi RD 350 for a song and had it for a year. Then tha Kaw years started 400 triple,750 triple,KZ550,SR650,KZ900 and so on. Rode Harley for a long time, then a friend talked my back to riding again. Found my 89 in a barn 3 years ago and after a little work have been back on the road since. Still shaking the little bugs out of the old girl and learning something new about it every time.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
1965, I was turning 8. Both my cousin and I rode around the front yard on our older brother's Allstate scooters. My life's been a mess ever since:eek::cool::D

·
Premium Member
7,207 Posts
42.......only been riding 2 years. Never been on one before then.

·
Registered
471 Posts
It was 1965, got me a spiffy Honda 50 step through..a '63 as I recall..I think I paid $90 for it....I was just 15!..rode that thing forever..and in every kind of weather..for many miles, in fact the kick start broke off..had to push it to start; I ran it so hard it would overheat and quit! No problem, splash some water on it and go another half hr!!..Ah...the good old days!!..lol
Oh ya, I just remembered, one time I ran it out of gas..pushed it to the only open late station..I still remember the look on the attendants face..he asked.."how much?" I said "fill it"..$0.37 to the tiny tank under the seat was enough for 3 days!!

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
I was around 12, which would have been in 1968, and my Uncle Louie gave me a ride on his 350 Honda. We rode back in the fields behind my Grandparents farm and I thought that I had to have one of these! My Mom had a cow. It was 1980 before I was able to get my first bike, a 1968 650 BSA Thunderbolt. Wish I still had it...

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
my mom and dad were divorces at the time and just before my ninth birthday my dad bought me a z50a like this one

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
after selling the ct 70h and saving some money i got myself one of these at the ripe old age of 13. those were my first three bikes, didn't even have a 10 speed at the time

Attachments

·
Banned
3,210 Posts
My Mom's Dad and Brother were both killed during WWII as German soldiers who operated motorcycles. Both were killed in action and it was never disclosed if by accident or gun fire.

Out of respect for me Mom and Dad, I didn't buy my first motorcycle until I was 21 years old. I had ridden many, but never owned one until I was in the Army in 1975. I bought a 1972 650 Yamaha Twin. I have been riding ever since, with a few one or two year breaks in ownership.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was around 23. It was a Kawasaki 350 if I remember correctly. It was the very first time I ever rode on a motorcycle and I took it right out in heavy traffic. Talk about baptism by fire, lol

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I was 12. Didn't need a license to ride in those days.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts