Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Which of the following age groups were you when you got your 1st GW

• Less than 30 yrs old for your first GW ?

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Less than 40 yrs old for your first GW ?

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Less than 50 yrs old for your first GW ?

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Less than 60 yrs old for your first GW?

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • More than 60 and proud of it!

Votes: 4 11.4%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What age grouping were you in when you bought your first Goldwing?

Less than 30

Less than 40

Less than 50

Less than 60

More and proud !

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
it was the second bike i got after not riding for 11 years. i got the cb 450sc in august and picked up the 1200 wing in october of '08

·
Registered
168 Posts
72 750 Honda (23K miles), 76 500 honda(27K Miles), several dirt bikes in the late 70's, 80 GS 850 Suzuki (89K miles), 2000 Suzuki Bandit (13K Miles), 2002 FJR 1300 (41K mIles), 2006 FJR 1300 (43K miles), and now The 2010 Wing. Several others I had long enough to get them runing good and sold them in the 90's. and a 1500 Vulcan in 2001 (8K MIles).

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I was
less than 60
Less than 50
Less than 40
I was 35 so do I check all of the?????????????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I was a late bloomer to Gold Wings. I was 52 when I bought my 98 GL1500 SE. Started riding late too (30). I'm still trying to make up for lost riding time...

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Got my first wing at 54, cant believe I waited so long :(

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The first Wing I met was on a showroom floor in Penticton BC, a naked '78 GL1000, maroon in colour. Couldn't believe my eyes; big bike 1000 cc with a boxer engine? Wow. Made my 750K look like a toy. The first one I rode was a friend's '83 Interstate. and I bought a brand new 1200I in June of '84. My dealer thought I was nuts. Funny thing is, now I'm the sales manager in that same dealership; what a world.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was late to riding (44) after only a few rides as a teen. Started my real riding on my trusty Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. Light enough for beginer but fast enough that it can easily on the Interstate for as long as your rear can take it.

My rear can only take so much and I've been haunted by a flashback to when I was a kid in the mid seventies. It was a brand new, black and gold GL1000. The local priest rode it. Us kids loved when he would come around becuase our parents were ant-bike=biker. But the priest was riding a bike :eek: He was a really nice guy and not like what we here about today.

Anyway, we would stand there staring , not allowed to touch it (it was also hot), looking at the engine and hearing the engine idle with power just waiting for the rider at the twist of his wrist. I was hooked. It had sex and power in one machine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Twas somewhere around 22 or 23. Drove to St. George, UT and picked one out. Got the documentation I needed to apply for the loan, which my bank approved. Went to pick up the check and all they needed was an insurance binder so off to the insurance company I went. Friggin' insurance was more per month than the bike payment so I returned to the bank, signed the back of the check and handed it back to them :(

Thirty years later... I discover that I can now afford the insurance so at the age of 51, I bought my second Goldwing. :)

Now, I've got 30 years of ridin' to catch up on!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brand new 2010 Wing

Well, I did it! Signed the paper work on Thursday and should have my new Wing by Wednesday! Had my BMW for 17 years and figured it was time for a new ride. This will be interesting. Got the Wing with Audio/ Comfort Package. The Nav added about two grand to the total. Air bag??/ I've been riding for a long time and well, I hope I never need it but I passed on that option.

Zero miles....... The fun begins!
Locknut

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Well, I did it! Signed the paper work on Thursday and should have my new Wing by Wednesday! Had my BMW for 17 years and figured it was time for a new ride. This will be interesting. Got the Wing with Audio/ Comfort Package. The Nav added about two grand to the total. Air bag??/ I've been riding for a long time and well, I hope I never need it but I passed on that option.

Zero miles....... The fun begins!
Locknut
Congrats on your new Wing. Welcome to the fun.. Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I've only had four bikes in my life time but they have all been Hondas, got my wing when I was forty.... something?

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
I remember the exact date: November 22, 2009. I think I was 53 then.
Chopin,
You beat me by a few days, November 28, 2009. I also was 53 then.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
Congrates Locknut, ride safe and enjoy. I also started late at the ripe old age of 40. I believe i was 43 when I bought a 79 GL1000, then rode a 82 GL1100 for about 4 years and jumped to my current ride 2000 GL1500. Loving it.
Been riding with my wife and friends the last 2 days in upper Canada. Right now spending the night in Chapleau off of Lake Superior.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Less than 50 here. I was 49!

I still don't know what took me so long!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts