Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that you should replace a helmet every 2 to 4 years maybe 5 years depending on your source of information. I have to confess. My helmet is 7 years old now and since I haven't had a bike in 4 yrs, it was probably near the end of it's useful lifespan when I sold my last bike. Now I am going to get my new bike Saturday and I took out the old helmet and well I need a new one!

For those who do wear helmets, I am curious as to how often you replace it? I know and understand the reason for replacing in a timely manner but how many of you folks are diligent about sticking to the Best Practice guideline of buying a new helmet every few years? Be honest :cool:

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
New bike, new helmet. That's the law. I subscribe to the " Three strikes your out " rule: After the third time my helmet meets the asphalt I always replace it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I believe there is an expiration date on each helmet. If not then it should be four years from the date you bought it. Because it is similar to a car tire as far as the life of the helmet. The styrophome inside the helmet breaks down over time. Riding safe!!!

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
This will become interesting. It's a great question.
I never saw anything that is definitive or tested. I look for real data and I haven't seen anything on an aging helmet.

I have "heard" different beliefs. I was told (by someone whom I can't remember-nor can I remember if they were smart, idiotic or selling helmets) that if you drop it once, replace it.

When I don't have real, researched data, I go with erring on the side of caution, common sense and how I feel. I truly belief and being comfortable and confident is important when riding. If I am worrying about my helmet, tires or brakes, I am not concentrating on what is going on around me. It becomes a self induced accident IMHO.

Go get a new one, a good excuse to get one that matches the bike.

BUMP. (been waitin' all night to do that!)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chopin114 - your helmet hits the asphalt? You mean dropping it? My last helmet never hit the asphalt in the 3 years I was ridin'.

CommanderK - so you replace your about every 4 years regardless?

love2ride - yeah you right! I don't need a whole lotta logic to buy a new one. New bike old helmet... I'll buy me a new one but in your case how often are you replacing?

I am with yall as far as getting myself a new helmet but I'm just trying to get some numbers (stats) as to when you buy your new helmets

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Chopin114 - your helmet hits the asphalt? You mean dropping it? My last helmet never hit the asphalt in the 3 years I was ridin'. Donald, you just served up a fat, slow ball-lets see who is gonna swing first at this!!!!!CommanderK - so you replace your about every 4 years regardless?

love2ride - yeah you right! I don't need a whole lotta logic to buy a new one. New bike old helmet... I'll buy me a new one but in your case how often are you replacing?

I am with yall as far as getting myself a new helmet but I'm just trying to get some numbers (stats) as to when you buy your new helmets
Honestly, Donald, I've had 5 bikes and never kept one more than about 4 years. Never tho't about it but I guess I can't be of much help as I have always got another helmet with each one. I have done a lot of research on helmets but never saw anything about a born on date or shelf life. You got me wondering now as well.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
New bike, new helmet. That's the law. I subscribe to the " Three strikes your out " rule: After the third time my helmet meets the asphalt I always replace it.
god- this is soooooooooo funny to read.

It just brings out so many more questions:
-are you sure you are keeping an accurate count to three?
-just how many helmets have you been thru?
-did the incident with the combine and sink hole count?

·
Registered
466 Posts
That's it, I ain't riding with you if your head hits the pavement that much!:D

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Replace your helmet if it was involved in a crash; it probably absorbed some impact shock. Some helmet manufacturers will inspect and, when possible, repair a damaged helmet. If you drop your helmet and think it might be damaged, take advantage of this service.
Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet every
two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then,
replace it sooner.
Why replace your helmet every few years if it doesn't appear
damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate with time and
wear. The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points; the
shell could be chipped or damaged. The best reason is that helmets
keep improving. Chances are that the helmet you buy in a couple of
years will be better – stronger, lighter, and more comfortable – than
the one you own now. It might even cost less!

I have 3 helmets now so I alternate them and will not have to buy another one for some time. I have a Nolan flip face 102 N-COM, and ARAI open face and an HJC full face. The weather is the factor I use to pick which one I wear, but I have to admit, I have only worn the HJC a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I recently purchased a new helmet with a March 2010 manufacturing date inside. Some of the ones I had purchased in the past were 2 years old and just sitting in inventory at a retailer. My trike is a daily rider and so the helmet is worn on every ride. I purchased a 'Skid Lid' helmet that had a 2010 label inside.
There is a general rule about purchasing a new helmet every 5 years, because the inner material breaks down; I had read this some time ago in a motorcycle magazine article.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you guys are funny... I'll spare us all the questions like "Which one is the best helmet" or "Is a helmet really worth the money"

Joe I think I'll follow in your footsteps, that is, I'll wind up with several helmets. I want to make sure I stay safe ;-)

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
In the past 21 years of riding I've had 4 helmets. I'm in the market for one now, mostly because the red does not match my silver Wing. And I think I'd just like a change....

·
Registered
60 Posts
I do wonder how much of the "replace it every 2-5 years" is based on a real safety need, or a need to keep sales quotas high?

Has anyone actually seen such recommendations from an independent source, not someone making money from selling new helmets?

"New bike, new helmet". Okay....had my '81 CB750K for 17 years.

I got out of riding when I sold that bike in 2002. When I got the GW this year I figured it was time to upgrade (besides, it was hard finding a new faceshield for 25 year old Bell.)

At one store where I was looking, a manufacture's rep looked at my old Bell and exclaimed "Wow! What an antique!". He recognized it and said there are collectors who would probably pay me more for the old helmet than I originally paid for it.

Ken

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I literally threw my helmet down on the asphalt and it bounced over a 6 foot fence and rolled down a hill. Does that qualify for replacement!! Hehehehe!!

·
Super Moderator
9,857 Posts
I literally threw my helmet down on the asphalt and it bounced over a 6 foot fence and rolled down a hill. Does that qualify for replacement!! Hehehehe!!
You betchum red rider..... Hope your head was not in it at the time....LOL>.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
had my old helmet for over twenty years. Only hit the ground four times.

I---um---I---don't---um, What was I talking about????

Just kidding, I bought a new one when I bought the wing.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To Ken45

Ken,

I guess that is really the root or basis of my question and I didn't realize it. I mean is there any solid research done by a third party that can support the 'new helmet every 2 to 4 year' recommendation? Sounds like most of us just decide we want a new helmet 'cause we want a new look or we buy a new helmet with a new bike (my case). We all KNOW the recommendation but as much as we analyze and question all things motorcycle, we don't really have any facts?

Is it really a safety issue or is it revenue generator that keeps an industry viable?

Once again, for the record, I AM buying a new helmet and I am NOT driven by the safety factor. It is because I get my new Wing tomorrow and well... I want a new helmet!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Once again, for the record, I AM buying a new helmet and I am NOT driven by the safety factor. It is because I get my new Wing tomorrow and well... I want a new helmet![/QUOTE]

New bike, new helmet. It's the law. If you happen to see a Pearl white open face HJC with a flip down plastic visor helmet ( Large ) there buy it. I'll send you the money.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Once again, for the record, I AM buying a new helmet and I am NOT driven by the safety factor. It is because I get my new Wing tomorrow and well... I want a new helmet!
New bike, new helmet. It's the law. If you happen to see a Pearl white open face HJC with a flip down plastic visor helmet ( Large ) there buy it. I'll send you the money.[/QUOTE]

WTF, are you buying a new bike for, you just bought a bike!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Full story

THE WHOLE STORY IS I JUST LAYED HER DOWN BECAUSE A UPS TRACTOR TRAILER WAS COMING UP IN MY LANE HEAD ON AS I WAS PULLING OUT OF WORK. CHOICE WAS HIS GRILL OR LAY DOWN ON THE PAVEMENT. HE DID NOT STOP GET OUT OR ASK IF I WAS OK! I HAD A PASSENGER AS WELL. I PICKED THE BIKE UP AND LEFT.I STOPPED DOWN THE ROAD TO COOL OFF AND THAT IS WHEN THE HELMET WENT FLYING.FIRST TIME I THREW A HELMET! HEHEHEHE! NO ONE WAS HURT TOO BAD JUST SOME ELBOW ROAD RASH! BROKE THE RIGHT SIDE MIRROR WHICH WAS BRAND NEW! IT IS A BELL HELMET SEEMS OK FOR NOW NO CRACKS JUST SCRATCHED!:eek:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts