Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a used 1800 goldwing and i am not conserned about the milage to much but I am wundering how far a well maintained 1800 is dependable for ?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Well I don't have an 1800 but, if a goldwing is well maintained you should get plenty of miles or Km's on it. I have a 97 GL1500SE that has 198,000 miles on it and it is going strong. I change the oil and filters regularly and do any other PM that it needs. I am going to rebuild the carbs next month just cause they have not been done and it should improve my gas milage.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Barely broken in longtrack. Wings will go for several 100k if the proper maintenance is applied like bameagle mentioned. Service records are the best indicator of how the bike was maintained and a thorough visual usually tells if it's been lovingly cared for or neglected (pretty rare).

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Some 1800 wings have gone over 200k with just regular maint. If you do a search on the web for high mileage goldwings you will find a site where owners have posted their mileage.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have no facts to back it up, but a vendor at Niehaus cycle told me of a 300k 1800, don't know what year, but it was an 18. I hear there is a million mile club of GL's, I'll likely never see it. What year 1800? If I was in the market, I likely wouldn't blink at a wing with 25K, if it looks/has been taken care of. I bought a 2000 that had 84k back in 08. For that matter, I've had my new wing a short 4 months and have about 8500 to date.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Longtrack...Like stated above that wing you are looking at is not really broken in yet. One of the key things to remember about Goldwings........They are for riding not sitting up in a shed or barn. Now I am not saying if you find one that the PO has not been able to ride for some time is not a good wing.....they are just in better shape the more they are ridden..One that has been sitting up for some time may take a little more going over to make sure all is good before putting it on the road.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Longtrack it appears that you have gotten your answer now you just neeed to find the Wing that sings the "buy me, ride me" song to you. There are lots of nice used ones out there.

Good Luck & Ride Safe.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
How many miles is a goldwing good for? Simple answer is ALL OF THEM! :D Good luck and welcome!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have no facts to back it up, but a vendor at Niehaus cycle told me of a 300k 1800, don't know what year, but it was an 18. I hear there is a million mile club of GL's, I'll likely never see it. What year 1800? If I was in the market, I likely wouldn't blink at a wing with 25K, if it looks/has been taken care of. I bought a 2000 that had 84k back in 08. For that matter, I've had my new wing a short 4 months and have about 8500 to date.
The one I am loking at is 2007. Pictures all look good and has lots of chromb,so I would think he cares about the way it looks. Pictures are taken with his car and house in background and everything looks clean and well cared for.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Welcome Longtrack. 07 GW with say 25,000 miles......what ya waitin for. if the price is right, buy it. I bought a 2000 1500 with 66000 miles on the clock, and didn't worry a bit. real strong runner. ride compared to none. good luck,ride safe ride smart

·
Registered
280 Posts
I am looking for a used 1800 goldwing and i am not conserned about the milage to much but I am wundering how far a well maintained 1800 is dependable for ?
The indie shop I take my bikes to for some work told me that my the engine on my GL1500 that I bought this summer can go 250-300K miles with minimal mtc. That was good news considering I only have like 27K on it now.

45K doesn't sound like much mileage on these bikes.

Unless you are absolutely sure of the mtc heritage on the bike, make sure you get all the fluids changed or at least inspected... clutch fluid, front/rear brake fluid, final drive fluid, oil, and coolant. If you have someone change out everything for you, it might cost you $200-300. Cheap insurance for peace of mind, imo.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
These "boxer" engines that Honda uses on the Goldwing are most likely the best engine that anyone has ever installed on a bike. It requires minimum maintenance and will last many 1000's of miles. Just change the oil regularly, spark plugs when needed and timing belts when needed. Most of the switches, relays and electronics will need maintenance long before the engine fails you.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Mine as 42,000 and it will have 49,000 by the end of the month! Seattle to LA, Phoenix, El Paso, New Orleans, Corpus Cristi, San Antonio, the San Diego and then to Salem Oregon.

Should be fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts