Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am a new winger! I just bought a 1984 Aspencade and absolutely love it. It is in incredible shape for its age but has about 130,000 miles on it. My question is should I be nervous about the miles? it seems to run pretty good but it does leak oil, my brother is a motorcycle mechanic, should I have him rebuild it or just see how far it will go? The other question is, I want to pull a trailer with it but once again i am worried about towing with a bike with so many miles on it... any advice from the professionals out there? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Ok first off ...How many miles is not enuf???? Goldwings love more miles on them....

As long as you do regular maintance on the wing it should last a long time. My 1500 has 198,000 miles on her and still going strong.

Now the first thing I would do is find out about that there oil leak you say she has......a goldwing should not leak oil.....unlike some other brands of motorcycles that do a lot.....

You need to find where the leak is coming from as it might be a simple fix. Also if you are not sure when the timing belts were last changed you need to be sure to do them.

If you have any questions just post them on the forum as there are plenty of people that will give you some great advise on how to solve your problem.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
hello tyota9, welcome to GWOF

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I know of no brands of motorcycles that should leak a lot - don't understand that comment by another poster?
The mileage doesn't bother me as much as the age! Hoses, seals deteriorate over time.
Good comment on the timing belts. Ever changed and when?
Make sure your brother checks it over real close.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania. If you update your location we will know where you call home. Also, I agree with Bamaeagle on the leak and belts. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a 1976 Gl1000 with 270,ooo miles on it when it went under water in Katrinia and yes I towed a trailer two up. the cam belts or the weak points change them they are known for valve cover gasket leaks or around the fuel pump a tube of high temp. silacone from honda for about 10.00 will fix a lot of leaks just by putting on both sides of the gasket yes the old gaskets with new belts and keeping the oil full I would run it till it would not go any more. then look for another one.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Definitely have that leak sourced and sorted. That bike isin't even half used up yet! And those "other' brand" bikes don't leak oil, they just like marking their territory:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts