Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at buying a 2004 Wing.Cosmetic condition is really good.Starts up and runs really smooth except for some noise that seems like a low growl??Sounds like the clutches are rattling together or perhaps it's the timing chains.The dealer who is respected,claims it;s pretty normal engine noise.OK.Now it has 107000 miles and they said the owner was a maticulous maintainer.They did most of the services,and say it was very regular.

$10000 for the bike,no movement on the price.They said they have rediuced it from $12000,and are selling for what they gave the owner who traded for a new one??

Are the miles to many,what can i expect from an 1800 that's not ratbagged and very well maintained?

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
The retail for your bike, assuming it's not an ABS model, is about $12,750. Average trade value is around $9,125 which is probably what he gave the PO. He's probably having a hard time selling the bike with that many miles on it although 107k is not a lot of miles for a Wing..

That said a Wing should be able to go 200k miles. BUT, the key is maint and a bike out of warranty can get expensive to fix unless you are a wrench guy.. If your handy and access to the proper tools then a high mileage bike may be just the thing for you.

I would offer him $9k and wait to hear back from him.. If he wants to sell he will move on the price.

Here is a previous post about high mileage Wings for you to look over...

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1549

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
107K is not alot of miles if you put them on the bike and you know the maintenance. It is alot if you don't know the bike and don't know the previous owner. That dealer needs to sell that bike, regardless of the motor condition.

Take the bike you are interested in to a different mechanic and get it evaluated. If it costs $100 for the evaluation and it comes up with a a $2500 cost of repair, you saved yourself $2400 by spending $100.

If the noise is a simple thing to eliminate, the dealer would have already done it. $$$$ is the answer to that, I am afraid.

For $2000 more you can find an 1800 with 30,000 miles on it. There are quite a few used bikes for sale. On Craigslist, there was a guy here in Seattle that was selling one for under book and was willing to finance it too.

Shop around. It don't take long to find what you are looking for....... a low mileage and well cared for bike.

I bought a 94 with 30,000 miles on it for $3500 last year after shopping for 3 months.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Sent you a PM TB.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have 11,500$ as low book. What I havent seen is how much to deduct for miles. Im looking for 9500$ on my 04. It is well maintained and has 113,000 miles. I had extd warranty on it until last Sept. It is Red, a very rare color in Wings.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04 goldwing

Thanks evryone.

Hey Billcarr,what sort of warranty work did you do to your bike,if any.This bike i'm looking at is a maroon color,a darker red.Pretty sharp looking,has a few add ons,led lighting for tail lights and upper and lower on the panniers.Hwy pegs,and a few other things.These guys wanted 12k for the bike,but has now dropped to 10k.Seems like you both are in the ballpark,although there's a difference in Canada for sure.

Thanks and good luck

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Trail, Over the years the bike was very fair. Both front fork seals were replaced. One handle bar electric nacelle was replaced, I think it was the one with the reverse button. The engine / tranny/ rear end is tight, never opened. There are other tinker toy repairs, both headlight beams were replaced (yes under warranty - tell me that is not a fine warranty). Cheers. There are a couple other electrical things but I cant remember right now, Im at work. There were little electric repairs covered by that warranty that I never thought would be covered. I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts