Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have 05 wings. She has 3k on hers and I have almost 8k on mine. We very seldom take them on the highway. It seems I need tires already. Could that be right?

I'm a big guy and I take my teenage daughter with me a lot.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Tires

Katiesdad... I've gotten over 20k out of my last set Of Dunlop E-3's and almost 25k onthe set before that. There are many variables to getting mileage out of tires, do you have depth gauge so you check your tires to see what you really have left for tired tread? I'm sure the other guys will give you some good input.

·
Registered
515 Posts
17,000 on my current set of E3's, I have more 1up miles than 2, but also pull a bushtec trailer. I run 41 rear and 38 front. You gotta watch those tire pressures!

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
My last wing the tires would last a little over a year I always check the psi before each ride. The service dept told me it was because of the roads in Geaorgia are bult on a angle so that the water will run off. And they said because of the weight of the bike I dont know what to think

·
Registered
690 Posts
... HOWDY ... A TIRES BIGGEST WEAR PROBS. COME FROM INCORRECT PRESSURE ... I TO HAVE A FEW XTRA POUNDS AND RUN MY PRESSURES UP AROUND THE MAX LOAD RATING ... I RIDE MOSTLY MOUNTAIN ROADS AND AM GUILTY OF CORNER CARVING BUT STILL GET OVER 15k. OUT OF A SET ... I WILL BE PUTTING ON A NEW SET OF E-3s. PRETTY SOON ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends on the tire you get also. On my '86 I put a set of Continentals on and the rear wore down to the threads after 5-6k. I never would have thought a touring tire would wear that fast, so I wasn't really checking it yet. I had a blowout at about 55mph(did manage to keep her upright) and discovered the problem then. Replaced that tire with an E3 and have put another 6-7k on that one and it has plenty of tread left. So does the front Continental now with 12-13k on it. I think that rear might have been just a fluke tire, but I'll probably stick with the E3's on my '06.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
I have an 08 with 10,200 miles on it.The previous owner put these miles on. He commuted daily into Washington D.C.. I don't think he took many highway tours. I didn't check the tread depth but they looked great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What psi works out to be better on a 90 1500 avg.wt. single rider mostly cruising around 60-65 mph on E3's.....just put on yesterday......I have read also about a break'in period of abt 100mi...whats that about...also put new brakes on all around....

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You will get less mileage from the GL1800 because they use radial tires. The GL1500 use bias-ply tires. I got around 16k when I had my 98 GL1500 SE. I only have 5k on my GL1800 but from what I see on other sites most riders get between 8k and 12k from the radials. If you do mostly highway driving the centers wear faster than the sides. If you do mostly side roads and "twisties" the side will wear faster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have about 16500km on my GL1800.Mix of city and hwy ridding.
I do need to replace this spring any thought on which tire to get?
In Alberta we ride every temp from high 80's to freezing.
Thks
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just put a set of e3's on my 1500...I plan on running 38 frt and 41 rear.....
anyone have input on that?....is 38 frt to much....I run a lot of hi-speed roads...

·
Registered
449 Posts
What psi works out to be better on a 90 1500 avg.wt. single rider mostly cruising around 60-65 mph on E3's.....just put on yesterday......I have read also about a break'in period of abt 100mi...whats that about...also put new brakes on all around....

Actually the 100 miles is to wear the new off the tires. Brand new, they are slick and could be dangerous, by letting you lose traction. Ususally it's scuffed enough after 50-60 miles but people are just being on the safe side to say 100. Be kinda like using armor-all on motorcycle tires, another BIG BIG mistake.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Capt Rik, I ride a 2000SE and run E3's at no less than 38psi front and 41psi rear, currently have 17,000 plus on this set. My mechanic looked at them while installing new pads, said they are only about half done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Had avon venoms on last time after 11k the rear was cupped . I ride 2 up a lot . put e3's on about 4k ago seem to work fine . I would like to get 15k out of them. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
You will get less mileage from the GL1800 because they use radial tires. The GL1500 use bias-ply tires. I got around 16k when I had my 98 GL1500 SE. I only have 5k on my GL1800 but from what I see on other sites most riders get between 8k and 12k from the radials. If you do mostly highway driving the centers wear faster than the sides. If you do mostly side roads and "twisties" the side will wear faster.
I thought the radials lasted longer than bias. Shows what I Know:(.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Tire wear

Hi Katiesdad,
Im on 4th set of Dunlop E-3's and average 20,000 miles each set. No, a few thousand miles isnt right unless you bought the bike used and the owner before you "saved money" and bought cheap "brand X" tires. Be sure to keep proper pressure and maybe add a couple pounds, I run 40 rear and 38 front in mine. Dont add a lot more as you will distort the center and tire wear will go even faster. When you visit a rallie soon, find the Dunlop booth and ask them about tire pressure for your size and passenger ( just a thought).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bridgestone front - 19K consistently
Metzler rear --- 12K to 15K consistently

and I do not have chicken strips on my front tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
so are dunlop the best to buy for a goldwing or does yokohoma make a set or what? the only reason i say yoko is because i use them on my rig.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
so are dunlop the best to buy for a goldwing or does yokohoma make a set or what? the only reason i say yoko is because i use them on my rig.
shinko bought out yuckohama tires

1 - 19 of 19 Posts