Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little odd citation: Yesterday I was driving my F350 truck on the 2 lane road. I was in the left lane. There was a biker in the right lane, about 30 -40 feet behind me. I had to turn right at the next traffic light (about a 1/2 mile). So I showed the turn signal on and waited for him to ether pass me or pull back. I waited and waited, then I slowed down, he slows down, I speed up... he speeds up... WTF??? So I start slowly changing lanes, he speeds up to get even closer, making me go back into the left lane again. What an butthead. When we have arrived to the light that moron turns right, and I missed my turn! I just could not get away from him. What should I have done differently? Any ideas? Run him over is not an option for me.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Your one of the few that would have gone to that trouble for a biker. Most would have pulled over when they got good and ready....a blinker might be optional.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
three lefts make a right :)
if i were on the bike i wouldn't have been in the right lane except to turn, to me the right lane is not a safe place to be
if i were in my truck i would have slowed down soo much that he would have passed

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was already going waaay below the speed limit. My personal feeling was he ether playing chicken with me or his wife really needs his life insurance. Maybe he was suicidal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
To me it matters not if I'm in a cage or on my wing. The law says you must signal your intent. That means when I turn on my signal I entend to change lanes. I'm not asking permission, just letting the other driver know. What they do about it is their business. But then I do have good life insurance.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
A little odd citation: Yesterday I was driving my F350 truck on the 2 lane road. I was in the left lane. There was a biker in the right lane,
I need some clarification here. Down here a 2 lane road is just that. 1 lane going in one direction and the 2nd lane going in the opposite direction. 1 lane either way. You said you were in the left lane which meant to me that you were going the wrong direction in the wrong lane. Had I been behind you and I was in the right lane (the correct one for my direction of travel), I would probably stopped until you got out of sight cause I don't like to see head on collisions. If you wanted him to pass, why didn't you just pull over and wave your arm for him to go around? Is your truck a 350 Duelly? Thats what I drive and I am always pulling over to let bikers pass. Anyway, I drive my bike on Farm to Market roads and Ranch Roads all the time and I am always leery coming up behind trucks. I am not defending this guy but I see a lot of strange stuff on the back roads here.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need some clarification here. Down here a 2 lane road is just that. 1 lane going in one direction and the 2nd lane going in the opposite direction. 1 lane either way. You said you were in the left lane which meant to me that you were going the wrong direction in the wrong lane. Had I been behind you and I was in the right lane (the correct one for my direction of travel), I would probably stopped until you got out of sight cause I don't like to see head on collisions. If you wanted him to pass, why didn't you just pull over and wave your arm for him to go around? Is your truck a 350 Duelly? Thats what I drive and I am always pulling over to let bikers pass. Anyway, I drive my bike on Farm to Market roads and Ranch Roads all the time and I am always leery coming up behind trucks. I am not defending this guy but I see a lot of strange stuff on the back roads here.
Two lane road - you always count the lanes going in one direction.
To make it clear: two lane going northbound and two lanes going southbound. I was in the left lane going southbound. He was in the right lane going southbound. Any easier? And I couldn't pull over, I was in the left lane, remember? no curb, just down slop with soft grass. And no I couldn't wave at him either, I'm in the driver seat of the truck with tinted windows. I don't think he would of seen me at all.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Two lane road - you always count the lanes going in one direction.
I have been driving on 2 lane roads all my life. A 2 lane road is just that. 2 lanes each way is a 4 lane highway. As far as tinted glass, I have that also and yes, he could have seen you. Again, I am not defending him or agreeing with you. Situations happen and you don't know what his mind set was. Maybe he was tagging along with you using you as a wind break. Who knows....? I suggest that the next time if it ever happens, just signal your intentions and slowly move over. If he wants to play chicken, guess who is going to win?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have been driving on 2 lane roads all my life. A 2 lane road is just that. 2 lanes each way is a 4 lane highway. As far as tinted glass, I have that also and yes, he could have seen you. Again, I am not defending him or agreeing with you. Situations happen and you don't know what his mind set was. Maybe he was tagging along with you using you as a wind break. Who knows....? I suggest that the next time if it ever happens, just signal your intentions and slowly move over. If he wants to play chicken, guess who is going to win?
Well, if he wouldn't move and I move over, then he is on the right and I am in the wrong. I end up with the ticket for merging on to incoming vehicle, and possible vehicular homicide. Either way I loose. I should of just stop in the middle of the road and said screw it! and wait for him to pass. But all good thoughts come a lot later.:knockknock:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Well, the truth is that it was a bad situation and at least you both came out of it unscratched. I realize you missed your turn and felt slighted by his actions. I imagine I would have been upset too. Lets just hope that this is an isolated incident and will never happen again. But I have had people in cars and trucks do stupid things to me while I was on the bike. I have found that if I just find a place to pull over and get off and let things cool down, we both win. There are idiots in cages and idiots on bikes. Fact is, the world is full of idiots. I'm just glad your Ok and now that you've talked about it, it will just become a bad memory and a good story to relate some day. I know one thing, I would hate to think that some dumb cluck would tangle with 8,000 pounds of F350 while riding a bike. Hang in there. :nod: Isaac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts