Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my Gl1500 quite a bit now, have noticed my seat is showing some wear. I have been looking at used seats( Bison Brown) , but they appear to be in the same shape as mine, looked at factory original ( $ 374.00), also looked at some of the aftermarket seats. My question is how do you like the seat you have and if its not stock would you recommend it to everyone and why. thanks for your help, Mike

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been riding my Gl1500 quite a bit now, have noticed my seat is showing some wear. I have been looking at used seats( Bison Brown) , but they appear to be in the same shape as mine, looked at factory original ( $ 374.00), also looked at some of the aftermarket seats. My question is how do you like the seat you have and if its not stock would you recommend it to everyone and why. thanks for your help, Mike
Nomally the very first thing I cange is the stock seat on any motorcycle. I don't know who designs them but they need to be beaten, stabbed and shot then the survivors prosecuted. BUT Having spent up to 6 hours in the saddle of my recently purchaced 1500 Goldwing I have to say no seat change is in the near future. I got off the bike after 6 hours and wasn't sore at all. My wife and I spent about 4 hours in the saddle yesterday (It was 69 degrees Yaaaaaaaa!) and the only thin we stopped for was gas. My wife didn't have a single complaint (it must be remarkable) so I'm keeping the stock seat. I may even buy a spare (NOS) stock seat just to have on hand. I'm use to shelling out a 1000 dollars on a Corbin setup but I can get a new seat for mine for 284+ shipping. Seats like music are very subjective. what one person like the next may not. It's an expensive trial and error. For me I'm sticking with the stock seat. They must have had an actual rider design that seat. The same holds true for the 1800. I've logged a lot of miles on one without a problem. I just feel cramped up on the 1800.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Mike, I had to deal with this on my 1500 when I bought it same bison brown color. The guy who owned it was short & shaved the seat down. At the time I wasn't in a position to shell out a lot. Searched the net found a Hartco on ebay. I have seen the same guy selling from time to time paid $300. for a new one with the intent of it being temporary til I could afford a Corbin or Russell. I probably won't change it now the Hartco is great in mine & wifes opinion. I would say if I was in the position to put big bucks at it & based on what I've read I would be looking at the following: Ultimate seats, Russell, or Corbin but again I'm personally very happy with my Hartco. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The gentleman that owned mine had a great idea. He had jell pad installed frt and rear, then had inlay[Ford pickup seat cover] sewed into seat and both backrests. The seat is very comfortable and looks great. The only thing that bugs me would be keeping it dry during a rain storm. I have cover for when stopped.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Depending on how much you want to spend, you can take it to an upholstry shop and they can redo the padding and recover it, or Hartco makes covers for it. http://www.hartcoseats.com/

·
Registered
201 Posts
This has been kicked around quite a bit but thats okay this way a rider understands "WHY" a seat is uncomfortable before he shells out big bucks to buy another one and maybe will choose the right one for his own personal taste. A 150 lb. 5'6" rider may need a different seat than a 300 lb. 6'2" rider and if he understands a few things about the
different saddles available he can choose wisely. Basically the stock seats flatten out after a couple of hours,they are plush to begin with but flatten out. Figure what happens
when a 250 to 300 lb. rider plants his butt in a seat that flattens out under his weight.
I'm 210 lb. and prefer the Corbin its a hard seat but shaped well,"it fits".It is a firm seat and I might add a gel pad or air but it does'nt flatten out which is more comfortable for all day riding. A stock seat does work well for the average rider who is 150 to 175 or so but I think as the weight of the rider goes up thats when the seat flattens out causing the problems we're seeing.

-Robert-

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, I am 6'1" and 217 lbs, have been riding pretty hard lately and really find my seat comfortable, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I was pretty interested in that gel idea, but would prefer stock looking upholstery, I really like the look of the stock seat,but my eyes aren't riding on it. Thanks for your input, Mike

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had a corbin once and hated it. Way to hard and I weigh 220. It looked good and worked for short rides but I like those 2 and 3 day roadtrips where you ride for 16 hours before turning in. I have heard good things about a shop in Florida that specializes in Goldwing seats but don't have the name handy and never used them. Keep searching and let us know when you find the perfect chair! I might decide to get one too!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just checked a few sources on the seat thing. Check out www.alaskaleather.com - they make a butt pad out of sheepskin that really helps out on any seat. They have long or cut skins and they come in different sized and coloring. Nice thing is you can easily transfer them from bike to bike or seat to seat. Been a few times I used mine as a pillow when sleeping outside on a road trip. Everyone I know that has one really likes them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Depends on if you feel the seat was, great the way it was or you would like to change it. I hated my seat so I had one custom fit for my big @$#%$^. Here is a couple of photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Personaly I like the stock seat, ridden several times for 18 hrs. straight, stopping only for fuel. Did buy a gel pad, but it raised me up to high and did'nt like the way I sat on it. I guess it all comes down to what works for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Home Made Seat For My 1500 Gl Goldwing

I have traveled on my 1988 GL GoldWing from coast to coast and covered 38 states and have 182,000 miles registered. I've gotten a good taste of Canada since I purchased my wing in October 2001. The first year owning my wing I left Kentucky and crossed I-70 to California down the coast and back by way of Phoenix across I-40 in returning home. I realized how insufficient the factory seat was although I liked the pattern and design better than some of the after market brands which I consider many to be junk. Many of my friends spent as much as $1000 with the guarantee the seat would have to be broken in before it would feel good. By running an upholstery business for 21 years I realized that was bunk. That was only a cleaver way of allowing the theif to long be gone before the buyer wakes up. My seat being an 1988 started to crack at the seams and I had to make a decision to either buy a seat or make use of the one I have. I choose the later since I had all my machinery and tools to custom build me a seat that fit my and my riding friend's bottoms. She choose from a fabric book I kept on hand the Marine chocolate brown to compliment the green. I used the basic factory foam and trimed it to satisfaction and overlayed it with 3 1/2 inch memory foam. We sit on the seat several times and made adjustments till it felt good and allowed enough slack at our tailbone area to take the pressure off our spines. That is the critical point that keeps you from getting miserable. I built up the area in front of my crotch so I would not slide forward when I leaned on my backrest and placed my feet on my foot boards. I duplicated the exact pattern with stitching the vinyal over a 3/8 inch mesh backing to give a good factory appearance and add more cushion as well. No one can convenience me that they can make any seat to fit me without my being there to fit my bottom because everyone is different. I finished a last June tour of 7250 miles and the ride was quite comfortable and before this upcoming Canada tour I will freshen up my seat with new 3 1/2 inch memory foam since it is 3 years old now. I don't have an arm and a leg in a great seat either.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have to call my old supplier to figure up all the cost of the materials I used. When I did my seats I bought enough materials to do my arm rests, seats, back rest, making a matching design for a larger padded rock bra and rear padded custom built bumper for my escapade trailer. I had some left over material so I made a license plate hole filler and surrounded the recessed plate with led lighting. I would think $500 to $600 should be the maximum for a seat like mine. Any more that that I would think would be robbery. I used to do all kinds of furniture, boats, automotive and etc. These cycle seats builders are getting rich selling junk. Some of the seats are plain joes with no design in the side welting with prefab factory ready made covering with heat pressed design stitched topping. Ones legs are then in a bind behind the thighs because they are not contoured to fit the body. Maybe some can but I can't break anything like that in. When you pay that kind of dollars the seat should not have to be broken in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im Interested !!

This seat sounds pretty good. Can you email me your shop location? [email protected]. I just picked up a 76 Wing that needs some carb and electrical work first. Owner just put a nice looking double bucket with drivers backrest on it before selling it. I like to do a lot of long distance riding so once I have some miles under the tires I will have a better feel for the current seat. If it's not right for me it sure would be nice to have you work your magic for me. $500 for a really good long distance seat is a good price in my book!

Thanks - Silver Eagle
[email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts