Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
My Ultra Limited can run circles around my 2015 Goldwing in and around corners. However, if we have to straighten up, all bets are off. I've ridden the 2018 in some twisties on a long test ride. It's much much much better than my 2015 Wing and just as good as my Harley. Feels closer to a sport tourer than a big luxury bike.
Seriously? I've ridden CVO Ultra's and came away with a cold feeling on both straight line performance as well as cornering and agility. The Ultra was simply ponderous in comparison to my '09 (with the exception of some very tight parking lot scenarios), and that's bone stock suspension on my Wing. I do really like the leg room though. Side by side on the street or open road the Wing simply leaves in a roll on an acceleration test and if you stir the gearbox there's no contest whatsoever. I've been in runs with stage 3 Road and Streetglides and they are a tad quicker in short term bursts (GVW?) but I leave them on top end. So much for spending another $10-$15k on performance upgrades. Only HD I've ever taken a back seat to is my friend's Heritage Softail with a 120" Merch and a Baker 6 spd. Once we get into the twisties however it's a clear win for me. Tom is plain worn out just keeping up and I'm just having fun. Maybe those HD riders are not as accomplished in certain skills but I think I'm a pretty average skill rider, although my track experience may give me a bit of an edge there.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
When haulbikes delivered my "new" 2001 FXQVWSR4niner scowling pigeon a few months back I rode it 1/2 block to my shop. Seemed OK except it only ran on one cylinder and backfired constantly. It really took the two corners nicely.
In the next few weeks I plan on getting it running better and give it a real test before I make it handle better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Seriously? I've ridden CVO Ultra's and came away with a cold feeling on both straight line performance as well as cornering and agility. The Ultra was simply ponderous in comparison to my '09 (with the exception of some very tight parking lot scenarios), and that's bone stock suspension on my Wing. I do really like the leg room though. Side by side on the street or open road the Wing simply leaves in a roll on an acceleration test and if you stir the gearbox there's no contest whatsoever. I've been in runs with stage 3 Road and Streetglides and they are a tad quicker in short term bursts (GVW?) but I leave them on top end. So much for spending another $10-$15k on performance upgrades. Only HD I've ever taken a back seat to is my friend's Heritage Softail with a 120" Merch and a Baker 6 spd. Once we get into the twisties however it's a clear win for me. Tom is plain worn out just keeping up and I'm just having fun. Maybe those HD riders are not as accomplished in certain skills but I think I'm a pretty average skill rider, although my track experience may give me a bit of an edge there.
I can't argue with you on the way you ride your bikes or which one of your bikes performs better than others under different riding conditions. I can only tell you how I'm able to ride mine. Different riders have different riding abilities. You may be a better rider than me.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts