Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have a '97 GL1500SE. I am wondering how hard it is replace the air filter on it? Or if there is a aftermarket performance type???

Thanks in advance!!!:)

Scott!

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Changing the Air filter in not hard just takes a little time.
1. Remove the seat.
2. remove the two acorn nuts at the back end of the radio, (they were covered by the front of the seat.)
3. Because of some tabs on the side of the radio panel that goes up the side of the fork tube, you have to remove the two fairing pockets.
4. Remove the plastic gussets that are attached to the radio panel where it goes around the fork.
5. Inside the gas filler door on each side there are two plastic levers, put you finger behind the back end and swing the forward. The radio can now be removed. If you don't want to mess with the connectors on the radio. Get one of your wife's best fluffy towel and cover one left side panel and left hang there. There sets the air box.
6. On the front there in a sensor plug disconnect that, and the two clips the hold the front of the box on.
7. Remove the screw on the front end and the rear and the cover will lift off.

If it filter is a KN filter it can be washed and reused. If it the stock filter just lift it out and put the new one.
Note: if it is K&N and you are going to put a stock filter in, besure to remove the K&N gaskit. If you don't things will go back together till you go to put the radio back on. Then nothing fits right.
Hope this help you out.
Frm the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ron, That was a great write up, can anyone tell what the K&N air filter part number is for a 1500? It's time to change mine and I'd like to put in a K&N.

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Time to change the air filter? Easier to buy a new bike methinks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
BTW everyone, Wingstuff rocks! I ordered my K&N air filter on Tuesday morning to get the free shipping, got it before noon today. One day! Granted I live in southern California, where they are based, but still, one day! Good job Wingstuff!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ron, I hope you see this bump, thank you again for your write up on changing the air filter. I put my new K&N in today, first time I've done it. I folllowed your directions and it all came out fine. I took my time and it took me a few hours, but I cleaned the Wing in places I don't get to that often. Now, I'll ride it to work tommorrow and see how it runs. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Great; I'm glad it worked out for. Enjoy your ride
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Aaron at Wingstuff looks after us Canucks. He avoided the numpties at Canada Post and got my wifes new riding pants here in a jiffy.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I pulled my filter for the first time yesterday, lucky I didn't break anything:eek: I found the fold away tabs AFTER I got the cover off! I went to get a new filter today..yikes!..$60:eek: I should have gone for a K&N. I'll check the price tomorrow.
There must be a way to remove the elements from the factory filter?
I'm thinking to grind off the tips of the posts that hold the screen on..then the paper will come out; After, just drill & tap the posts to put back new elements.:D There must be some that would fit...convert it to a semi permanent type. Should be WAY less than factory?

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Check
www.chrischrome.com
They have a tune up special: Air Filter,2 oil filters,6ea Ngk spark plugs, and 2 cans of Oridginal Spay Cleaner & Polish. $67.95
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
470 Posts
Took the O.E.M. filter back & got a K&N..was actually $3 less! anyway, mine is an '88. I'm wondering if later yrs are different? I read the write up of how to change them, my K&N instructions say to remove the factory gaskets from the air box & air box lid..the K&N will look like it fits ..until you go to put the cover back on. The K&N that I got has the seal built in as part of the filter...just sayin'!:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts