Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the wind shield on my 1995 Aspencade, the previous owner had a huge windshield on it and it's just enormous which might be good for large trips but we do not plan on doing that, so how hard s it to go back to normal size are there any good videos for that year? gl1500 Aspencade? the bike is no mint I don't want to break anything it only has 23,500 miles on it for petes sake and not a scratch on the paint. It's the one in my pic..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Of course the right response is "it depends." I personally would rate it three out of ten only because there a few things that can go wrong. If they cooperate then you are looking at a one out of ten and half an hour of work.

There are two screws hidden under the rubber mirror boots that go into the height adjustment locking levers. Carefully remove the boots and trim piece from the fairing so as to not damage anything. Place rags or masking tape or such below these screws otherwise when you take them out, they will find their way down some secret passage to hell.

Most likely you have the one piece chrome trim between the windshield and the headlight. This has a couple hooks at the bottom. Once the screws are out, tilt the trim away from the shield and slide it to the side (can't remember if it's left or right). The other two piece style has piece of black plastic and a smaller aluminum trim piece. Their removal is straightforward. Often the rubber seal on the windshield trim will need to be glued back in place.

Then you are looking at the main screws that retain the shield. They can be in there REALLY tight. One job where a JIS screwdriver is better than a Phillips. Many folks have resorted to using a hand held impact driver. The surrounding material is all ABS plastic to if the nut gives way, you will be unhappy. Keep track of which parts come from which hole as they are not all the same.

Now is time to clean and polish. Then reverse steps for assembly which will go much easier. Well maybe. Sometimes the hooks for the windshield trim will fight you some.

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
So what Andy laid out is very detailed and precise. I can only add that you should "expect" the 5 large screws that hold the windshield on to be extremely difficult to get out. Almost to the point of being siezed on as he also said. Definitely suggest that you invest in JIS screwdrivers, they are well worth it and fairly inexpesive. Just know that the ones you need to get out are a large philllips #3.

Other than that......easy peasy

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It is simple, as most things on the wing are easy to do once you have done it a time or 2. Have you thought about just cutting down the one that is on the bike now? That looks like a Tulsa Tall that is on it now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts