Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CW license for MS and wonder if you carry your heat on the bike or on your person? How do other club members respond to you carrying? Just joined GWRRA and don't want to upset anyone. It will be concealed so they really won't see it though.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have a CW license for MS and wonder if you carry your heat on the bike or on your person? How do other club members respond to you carrying? Just joined GWRRA and don't want to upset anyone. It will be concealed so they really won't see it though.
I use a shoulder holster for the Glock 40cal. Since I always wear a TEKNIC jacket, it stays concealed. Yes, depending on where I am going, I tote the rascal. Prefer a tank bag like I have on the FJR but can't find a suitable one for the Wing. Some people on here approve and some don't. :)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Some representative here in Texas introduced a bill to allow "Open Carry". Don't know if it will get voted on but it sure would simplify carrying on a GW.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
I am sorry I just don't get this [carry your heat stuff]. What are you expecting to happen. I have never had an event where I may have the need to carry it. Where have you have need of it and how did it help you. If you have not have had need of it why do you need to carry it. Maybe its for a bear attack in which I would want more than a pea shooter. Yes I know that was a bit low but I don't know why you would need it. You more than me would know where not to go to remain safe. Don't hold back I want to know. Eric

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The only way we can carry here in the "republic" is to and from a licensed range, and then unloaded and trigger locked; not much of a security factor when the bangers are packin whatever the h.e double hockey sticks they want. Had a young lad pull on me in Washington State about 20 years back, and I didn't feel very good about it for quite some time. So Eric, it's more of a 'peace through strength' thing IMO. If the majority is carrying, you should too. I'm an advocate of being able to defend one's self, I just have to do it by hand due to where I live.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
If I was in a job where I was an easy target I maybe thinking along the same line. But we are riding the clean image motor bike not the hard image. And not being in the drug or under ground, what gain will they have to have a go at me. I have heard of HD riders been targed. Their bikes hold more value in parts to the under word here. You guys are the locals and I wont to know why I would consider the need to carry. When the young guy pulled on you Budoka what was he trying to get and how did you get out of it. Eric

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Well, as I stated earlier, some will agree and some will disagree. The world is not what it was 40 years ago. There are gangs in every big city now. We are being overrun by illegal aliens here in Texas and Austin and surrounding counties are directly in the path of all the drug movers. Its not what you drive that causes the crooks to go for you, its simply what they want at that moment and it may be a part of an initiation into a gang. The simple fact is that last year a man and woman were robbed and stabbed in Austin for the man's watch and the woman's jewelry. I do not intend to ever let anyone hurt my woman or rape her or steal my stuff. Period. And if the man would have been carrying a gun, maybe he could have stopped all that and not been killed. The lesson here is never bring a knife to a gun fight. I understand in Australia you have had to give up your right to carry a gun. We as Americans claim that right under our constitution. Going through any large city here, places you in jeopardy of being assaulted by some creep who might want your GPS or your passenger. Its not a joke here and its very easy to end up on a street that is not conclusive to your well being. And I do a lot of Nature photography where there are bears and mountain lions and things that will eat you. And just to clear something up, a .40 cal loaded with Speers hollow points is not a pop gun. Now I have said my piece so I will see what happens. Just know that if you plan to steal my stuff that I have worked hard for or harm my family, it will be the last thing you ever do. I say "you" meaning anybody, not any one in particular. We Southerners are pretty adamant about this subject.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
He was a young Hispanic punk and I was sitting on my Wing curbside while my Mrs was in getting ice for the cooler. He and another younger fellow came out carrying a six pack of beer and I guess I looked too long at the pair of them assessing their age and validity of them accessing adult beverages. The stainless (or chrome) .357 came out from the back of his jeans and a sneery "da f*** choo lookin at man?" was his address to me. I managed a smile and a polite "nothing in particular" and the two of them chuckled and walked away. He never pulled back the hammer but the intent was certainly there had I gotten bold, I'm sure he'd have shot me where I sat. Didn't sleep much that night. And no, had I been armed, I'd have taken a bullet before I got my gun out anyway. I've done some stupid things in some really rough places and that's the only time I've faced a gun. It's not very pleasant I can assure you. I saw a guy get knifed at Sturgis not 20 feet from where we sipped our beers, and I didn't have the cold feeling in my gut like I did that afternoon in Wenatchee. Makes you think.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Budoka, I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that had he then grabbed your lady and started ripping her clothes off, it wouldn't matter what type of gun he had. Yes, you might have been shot or worse, but situations arise like that and you didn't ask for it. It just happened.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Inside the pants holster. :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I Hate Guns!!!

Yep, sure do! My concealed weapon carry permit allows me to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in 33 of the 50 US states, the last time I checked. Sometimes I do carry, sometimes I don't; But I would never tell anyone except a law enforcement officer when required. Oh, I'm a former Fed Licensed Firearms Dealer (FFL).

I've used a firearm to protect myself during an armed robbery, I got extremely lucky; I shot one robber and captured the other. They used a stun-gun, I used an old .38 cal S&W revolver. Won't bore you all with details, but after it was all over I was more worried about legal problems/complications arising from protecting myself. After a year I got my revolver (rusty and pitted) and all my clothes back (confiscated because I shot one robber off my back and his blood was on my shirt, pants and shoes) from local law enforcement.

Remember, once you have to use your firearm, your life will change forever!!!.
Good Luck,
T-Rex

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am sorry I just don't get this [carry your heat stuff]. What are you expecting to happen. I have never had an event where I may have the need to carry it. Where have you have need of it and how did it help you. If you have not have had need of it why do you need to carry it. Maybe its for a bear attack in which I would want more than a pea shooter. Yes I know that was a bit low but I don't know why you would need it. You more than me would know where not to go to remain safe. Don't hold back I want to know. Eric
Ok then, if and when you ever need to protect yourself your family or perserve the life of a third person, use the hammer that you refer to in each of your replies. Hope you live to brag about not seeing the need to be armed.:confused:
Have a goooooooood day.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Back in August of 1996 a friend and I were on a guys only trip to Wyoming. The second night out we camped in a National Forest Camp Ground in Idaho . Our bikes were parked just off the road in the vehicle parking spot for the camp site, and we had pulled our tent trailers (Kwik Kamps) down to the table and set up. Just before dark a Orange pick-up with blacked out window cruised through then came back and stopped by the bikes and set there for several minutes and left. A few minutes later it was back and done the same thing, again it came back the same B.S.. This time after it left my friend went to his tent and came back with a snub nosed .38 Cal., emptied the cylinder and put the gun and shells behind the 6 pack that was setting on the table. Sure enough the truck came back again and stopped, this time my friend picked up the gun and start shoving shells into the cylinder. The truck left as soon as the gun came out.. We didn't sleep worth a crap that night. But we never heard the truck during the night either. Don't know what the intention was but it was kind of unnerving having it sit there, like it was checking us out, or trying to scare a couple old guys. ever since when we travel I have my 9mm in the bike some place.
I'd rather have the gun with me and not need it, then need it and not have it.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been shot at once and attacked by a bull dog once. Both times having a handgun in my holster was a very good thing. Both attacks ended very quickly, when I fired my weapon. A warning shot at the person shooting at me and he decided it wasn't fun anymore. The dog wasn't so lucky.

In the pouch on the back of the drivers backrest on long trips. In the pants holster otherwise.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I am not a red neck and I don't go looking for trouble. However, I do travel alone and sometimes being armed gives one a little more confidence.

Last summer, I trailer-ed my my bike to South Dakota behind my pickup. I slept in the back of the pickup in the canopy. I carried my 38 in my tank bag, but when I went to sleep at night, I had my pump twelve gauge shotgun laying right beside me. Oh... and my .22 auto was in my coat pocket at all times when out of the truck or off the bike.

Years ago, I got hit in the back by a flying spark plug on the reservation once with a bunch of young bucks standing their laughing. I probably wouldn't have pulled a gun then, but I felt really vulnerable. I was also robbed by gun point when in the army in Ft. Leavenworth Ks. and there was little I could do then.

I will go down in a volley, if necessary. No one I visited in the month I was gone even knew I had any iron along. No reason to display it unless one needs to use it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Both my wife and I have carry permits and travel with weapons holstered... mine in a shoulder rig and hers on the waist. She rides a Spyder RT-SE5 and sometimes puts the weapon in the back case.

She was surprised one time in the Smoky Mountain National Park while hiking away from the road and used her camera to simulate a weapon that scared the guy away. After that the S & W Ladysmith .38 accompanies her everywhere.

I carry a Walther P-22. Not as much stopping power but I can put nine slugs into a very small target in about nine seconds.

We have both taken firearms courses at the local police range and understand when to use deadly force (or not). There are crazies out there who are attracted by tricked out Gold Wings or Spyders... 99% of the folks are great but we'd like a little protection for the 1%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me first answer as to why I carry and not just how and when I am riding my bike. I carry everywhere my Texas permit allows. I am in my 60's and wouldn't stand much of a chance duking it out with a couple of thugs. If I knew beforehand that I was going to need my handgun I wouldn't be there in the first place, only a fool would. And all my military training certainly would tell me not to knowingly carry a handgun to a gun fight.

We all don't live in or travel in a perfect world, but we all have a god given right to protect ourselves, friends and loved ones. If you choose to give up that right and possibly become a victim, so be it, as that is your choice, but your rights end where my rights begin.

I typically carry my Glock 19 in a holster under my jacket, or my Walther PPS in a pocket. On a bike or in a car I figure I am the most exposed when stopped or going to and from in a parking lot.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
You're very right DW about the possible scenario, that's when you do what is necessary to protect you and yours. At the time in that position a gun would not have helped due to time and reaction. My wife and the store clerk saw the whole thing, the clerk called the Leo's but we we the heck outa there long before they would arrive, I wasn't sticking around for anything, and I'm a pretty fearless dude. I believe strongly in the right to bear arms as written in your constitution, unfortunately in this nanny state that I live in, I don't have that choice if I want to be a law abiding member of society, which I am. When you outlaw guns, you put them in the hands of the outlaws.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts