Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 84 GL-1200 Interstate I discovered one of the "O" rings is leaking antifreeze on one of the cooling system pipes that is mounted on top of the engine and located under the carb/air box. I thought that since I have the carbs off the bike anyway I would just go ahead and just replace all the "O" rings and gaskets on the cooling system tubes. Since I found one O-Ring leaking I figure that if not now...the rest will be leaking soon.

I have disassembled these tubes and removed the 90 degree elbows that attache to the top of the engine. However, I am having a devil of a time removing all of the old gasket material from the elbow and the top of the engine. I have tried a spray on gasket remover but this has not worked at all and I don't want to start scraping and digging at the remaining gasket material for fear I will gouge the metal surface and create a leak under the new gasket.

Could I possibly burn it off with a butane torch?

Thanks for your help!

Harkgold

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Hi Harkgold,

I don't know how many times I have simply made a tool out of a plastic knife or popsicle stick over the years to remove such stuff. As long as the tool is softer than the material you're removing the gasket from, steel, there is little to worry about. Usually takes about 5 minutes to cut/grind/carve yourself such a tool and they usually work like a charm, and cheap.

Tatanka

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your replies! I will give these a try.
I also read somewhere to gently tap the remaining gasket material with a hammer. This method claims to help break down the glue, sealant, or old gasket material from the surface making it easier to remove. I'm a little skeptical of this method thinking there is too much danger of denting the surface of the metal.

Thanks again!

Harkgold:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.