Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My flower is starting to warm up to the idea of going for her first ride on my '08 Wing. The problem is that the bike's load capacity is 410 lbs and with me being the bulk of the wieght of the two of us, we'd be about 10% over the maximum capacity for the bike.

I'm eating a lot more salads now trying to get us within specs, but was wondering if anyone out there who rides 2-up, exceeds their Wing's capacity and if so, have they experienced any problems.

I'm not looking forward to telling her she has to wait, but I don't want to take any chances of hurting either the bike, or us. Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Diet?

I just started a diet of veggies & fruits & no soda. I have to lose #$%^&*( pounds or start riding a Sherman Tank instead.:D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea... No more friggin' sodas either. Should be within specs by the end of the week doin' that. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good idea... No more friggin' sodas either. Should be within specs by the end of the week doin' that. :D
Just make sure you have plenty of air in those tires.And you should not have any problems.Try a few test rides locally...

WA9FWT Phil

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
as Phil just said it's the consesus of many of us that if you run your tires at the proper inflation that the load will not be an issue. When the wife & I loaded real heavy last year in a trial run for our big trip this year, we were over the load rating but had no Issues. Kept the heavy stuff down low on the bike as to not make it anymore top heavy & RODE.

Make sure you prep the bike & take MAMA for the ride. Good Luck hope this helped.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would be willing to bet that half of the riders 2 up with gear and extra stuff if they are on a trip are over 410. A lot has been written on other boards. Increase your rear suspension setting and do it. In my opinion it is just a way for Honda to be released from liability in many situations. Hadn't heard that phrase in a long time("How big 'a boy are you").

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Most of the 2 up riders are over the weight limit hat Honda sets for the Gold Wing. If your tires and shocks are in good condition you will be O.K..

·
Registered
36 Posts
When my wife and I ride together we exceed the weight limit also. Have never had any problems as of yet. I do ajust the suspension to the max, and encrease the distance between my bike and other vechicles.

·
Registered
515 Posts
They say that adding the load capacity of both the front and rear tires on your bike and then subtracting the weight of the bike and accessories from that load capacity, leaves you with the weight left to load the bike with and run safely on the tires. That said, I've seen some loaded bikes, on my 15 I run E3's, using those numbers I can still put 700 pounds on the bike.

·
Registered
515 Posts
BY the way, after yesterdays DR's vist, I'm 6'2" and 247....ughh!

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
BY the way, after yesterdays DR's vist, I'm 6'2" and 247....ughh!
Now that's a Big Boy.:D:D:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
i am 6-4 and tip the scales at 375 so if i even take a bottle of water with me i am over the limit now you add a passenger and i am way over the limit but i have had no problem had a 86 wing and now ride a 07 wing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Uggg!

I'm just as wide as I am tall! 5'-6" at #)) pounds. Notice I did that on purpose so I don't have to look at the truth! Will be less by end of summer. Must be the meds!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts