Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after viewing the boards for months, I decided I would go ahead and register a user name as I am curious to see what other Goldwing owners are doing when they travel. This post may be in the wrong location but I thought I would get the most relevant responses here.

I know everybody has bought their ride for one reason or another, but I bought my Goldwing so both my wife and I could travel comfortably. For around town, I actually ride an R1 :)rolleyes:) but thats not an option for long cruising. From my discussions with local Goldwing owners and guys I meet at shows, a lot of them have also bought theirs as it is ideal for weekend long traveling. The funny thing about my purchase though, is the wife and I have yet to stay at a place overnight as I am too paranoid it will be stolen. I see tons of GWs out touring and was just curious what everybody else is doing???

Are you just using wheel locks? Locking it to a light pole? Have you found one hotel chain is better than the next? Basically anything that can get me over this paranoia would be appreciated.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a sure fire way to protect my Wing. It's called Insurance!

The fact is, if someone wants to steal your wing, there is NOTHING you can do to prevent it unless you are right there when they do it.

There is not a device known to known to man that can prevent theft. Anyone who is out to steal a wing WILL BE prepared and have the tools to "Undo" whatever you did to try and prevent it.

My advice is to not let it worry you. Go and enjoy your trip and make sure you have necessary things in place should something bad happen. This includes flat tires, break downs, theft or even God Forbid, a crash.

If I do not have funds available to get my self shelter, food and/or a flight home, I do not take a trip. Should something happen, I can fix it and carry on or call my insurance and catch the next flight home in case of loss of the wing.

If you have to carry and use cumbersome theft deterrents to make your self feel secure that your wing is safe, you are not going to enjoy overnight trip away from home.

Insurance is your best friend and if you have a bike that is worth much, one would be a fool not to carry coverage on it.
I have additional coverage over and above insurance as well. It is a Springfield XD40 Sub Compact .40Cal and I carry it in my tank bag. When not on the bike, it is in a "Supertuck" inside my waist band. I try and park near or preferable in front of my room.
God help the stupid bastard who gets caught stealing anything from me! Say hello to Jesus sucka!!
And if I don't catch them? Oh well, I also have a cell Phone with my insurance agent's # so I can file a claim and get on back home.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I agree with the idea that you can't stop them.
Locks keep honest people honest and total idiots or kids from taking off with your stuff.

At Myrtle Beach, vans pull up beside a bike, 3 or 4 guys jump out, throw the bike in the van and are gone. Happens in less than a minute. No one can keep track of vehicles in a tourist town as it changes by the hour and the parts are on Ebay within hours.

I park where the desk or public can easily see a vehicle. doesn't mean it is safe but I am not going to help make it easy either. I too have an alarm on mine but I hid the little red light, again, didn't see the need to tell them to look for the wires to disconnect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Buzzy is correct, if they want it, they will take it, but you don't have to give it to them. I have an alarm on my wing with proximity sensor (if anyone gets near the bike it beeps a few times and then all hell is let lose!! I also apply disk locks to the front and rear wheels and the steering lock (although the steering lock doesn't do much as it's easily broken). When I check in to a hotel I explain I am on a motorcycle and ask if I can have a ground floor room and I try to park the bike in front of my room so I can hear the alarm. So far the only time the alarm has gone off is when other bikers have stopped to look at the wing!! No thiefs yet, but it gives me peace of mind. I also try to avoid any hotel in the lower income areas of town (wether I am on my bike or in my car) as those area seem to attract less desirable people..

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I lock the fork and go to bed. If they want it, insurance will get me another one. It was the same with my Harley, I knew guys that would put eveything they could to stop someone, but no matter what you do, if they want it they will get it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When we first started touring, I would request a room with a window overlooking the parking lot. I would be up several times a night looking out the window at the wing making sure it was ok. I had many many sleepless nights worrying about theft. Now, just like others have said, that is what insurance is for. Sure it's a huge PIA to deal with a stolen vehicle but it's also not the end of the world. One thing I would recommend is a full cover. Out of sight,out of mind. Another thing that may help is a cable locking the front and rear wheels together. Just make sure to REMOVE it before you ride off in the morning. Most motels will allow you to park near the front desk if you ask. I never found that to be a tremendous benefit to me. At the mom and pop places, most of the night clerks are asleep after the night rush is over. Let common sense guide you. If you are in a "questionable" area, keep riding. Find another motel.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Depending on where you are going to stay but I have requested a room on bottom floor with sliding doors and put mine to bed with it in the room. A lot of coastal town motels will let you. only one time did the clerk supply me with paper to put under it and I politly explained THIS AINT NO HARLEY. We both got a good laugh!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Gold Wings don't get stolen!! I have traveled for 25 years on mine and don't even use the handlebar lock. I carry a 1/2 cover and use that at night but most people don't even do that, Heck I have even left the keys in my bike by mistake and nothing happened.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Joe is correct.....It is a rare thing to have a wing stolen. They have one of the lowest theft rates out there. I too put the half cover on and just go to bed. Lots of places will offer to let you leave them under the awning in front of the check-in desk.

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Never stay at a " No Tell Motel ". This anecdote won't help your paranoia, but we have a member on here who had his Valkyrie stolen from a motorcycle rally at Myrtle Beach. That's a hefty bike. The point is if they want it they will get it; they will just have to work for it with a Goldwing. None of us are safe, we just have different comfort levels of security, and all levels are valid based on our personal history. " Trust but verify. " ~ By the way.... Has anybody read from " HeavyChevy " lately ?

·
Super Moderator
14,409 Posts
Just my two cents worth: Insurance, bike cover, Bersa 380.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am a .45 guy as well but I would only use it to protect myselfe not the bike. Myself is legal, the bike you will go to jail and it is not worth losing the bike and going to jail.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I don't know your preference as far as hotel accommodations, but I usually say at Motel type places where I can park the bike and see it out my window. I lock it, cover it and check it before I go off to dreamland. If you are really paranoid, there are bike alarms you can buy which would attach to the cover and go off if disturbed.

Oh, yea welcome to the forum. As you can see there are a lot of nice folks and opinions on here... Ride safe and enjoy..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hotel Parking

I lock my front forks an go to bed..................I have never had anything stolen from my bike in 44 yrs........do carry good insurance
HisST

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Take a few precautions, park it under the stairs or in view of the office. Many times motel management has allowed this. I would not use a wheel lock, if you forget once the damage is about a 2 week repair. I think a cover on a bike helps a lot. Basically they will steal some other bike, one that is open, parked in the dark at the back of the hotel, away from the road and lights. I agree with the post that wings dont get stolen or at least it is rare. Enjoy the ride, take out insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check out the RoadLoK. Permanently installed on the bike, can't cause damage if you forget to unlock it because the bike doesn't move, period. We all have different thoughts on motorcycle theft, here's my two cents.
First off, we hear comments about "four guys and a van will get your bike regardless". Very true statement, however...that is not the norm in the U.S. In a typical year 75% or more of motorcycle theft is "ride away, or roll away". We know, we work closely with insurance companies.
Second - Yes, having good insurance helps, but don't forget that there is a lot of down time and red tape involved typically in getting a reimbursement. Besides, to some of us, a bike is more than just "a bike". My bikes are mine, and I don't want a replacement.
Even though someone may be able to get my bike with a RoadLoK on it, it will be the more difficult target. The comments stating that "if they want it, they'll get it" is correct, which is also true about someone getting in my condo to burglarize me, but that doesn't mean I don't lock it when I leave, even though they could simply break a window.
Again, just my thoughts. Carry on.

Chief X

1 - 18 of 18 Posts