Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
is my 82 wing running too hot if the gage goes to 3/4 going down the road i have flushed the radiator last summer changed the thermostat , and the system is full but the fan comes on going down the road it was 85 yesterday but its not hot YET !! Central Florida :chopper: Please email me and tell me what temp you get on your older wing

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
it might be time to replace the water pump

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Doc could be right on this, and you could have an airlock in the system too.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
We're assuming that all of the air scoops are in place around the radiator to force extra air through it, right? See any coolant drips under the water pump after it sits after running? Usually they drip when they're going, but not necessarily. Have you looked down into the radiator while bike is running to see if it's pumping coolant/water to the top of the radiator?

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
A 1982 Gold Wing has been around for a while. The temperature gauge could be out of calibration.
Good point, kikker!

First step is to confirm that the problem really exists. When the symptoms appear, pull over and use a large radiator thermometer to check the actual temp of the coolant using the usual caution when opening the radiator, etc. and compare to what it ought to be.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Engine Temp - Car or Bike

Hey Guy, You might try using one of those infared heat guns to measure the actual temp of the engine. Harbor Freight has one that is about $20 when on sale. You just point it at the radiator or engine to read the temp with-in 1%. They are actually kind of neat to use on the exhaust manifolds too. It can detect a malfunctioning cylinder by a slightly higher (lean) or lower (rich) temperature at each exhaust runner as it exits the cylinder head.

Good Luck, Michael :)

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hows the radiator cap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.