Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hot does it get before you decide not to ride? Temps here will range from 97* today to 102 * and 104* for the rest of the week! Got AC? :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Last week it was 104 and 103 here in Maryland , didn't stop me , hotter the better

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
My riding temp parameters are as such - 30*F to 100+*F

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I will be truthful! Momma had a stroke&brain bleed in 04, I had quad-by pass in 06. We were both advised to "watch it" in the direct sun and heat!
We have found we fair well until it gets over 90 w/the same humidity.
She and I worked most of our careers in AC. Just not "use" to hot weather.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I just open the vents and ride. If its higher than 98.6, I use the Frog Togg Cool Pack around my neck and stay Hydrated.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I'm don't know the heat has not stoped me as of today I can take it as long as I'm on the move.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
It doesn't stop us Texas boys otherwise we'd never ride. Kinda like the NW boys, if they waited for it to stop raining their bikes would always stay clean. However, I'm not as eager to jump on my Wing after working outdoors in my construction business in 100 degree temps and go for a joy ride. I 'm wanting some relief in the a/c. If I start out my day in the cooler temps of the morning riding and eventually gets to 100, I'm ok with that. The evaporative cooling vests work great too. They're less than 40 bucks and I love mine. One of my best pieces of equipment for the heat.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Mz. Vickie suffered a mild case of heat stroke on a ride with temp readings around 108* and humidity to match. I was fine so I was not sensitive to her condition until she said " STOP ! ". She has lived a temperature controlled career.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i've ridden in 100* weather it can get uncomfortable but staying hydrated and some water on my knoggin helped

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Mid 30’s in traffic I’m not a fan of but as long as I’m moving I haven’t hit the temp yet. I’ll probably find out what that temp is in a few weeks when I’m going through Arizona and Texas.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
When we went to Sturgis in '01 we had temps as high as 107*f. Heat coming off the pavement was like a blast furnace. Fuel stops were 2-3 bottles of water per person...one to drink immediately, one for the road, and the other we poured on ourselves for evaporative cooling. Wouldn't want it any hotter than that for this northern dood.

·
Administrator
15,288 Posts
Once it hits the upper 90's I'm not happy, but it doesn't stop me from riding. It is hitting 100 here this week and I'm still riding back and forth from work. I have an unscheduled day off today and working in the yard. If I can make it to the minor league baseball game this evening I'll be taking the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
This is what I use....I had a large for when I was Umpiring Baseball in the heat and cut it in half to make 2 scarves. This works unbelievably well and is inexpensive and stylish too.
http://www.froggtoggs.com/#cooling/

·
Registered
718 Posts
It all depends on the person and the region that they live. How humid it is also plays a factor. 95* with a dew point of 70* can be down right nasty around here.

·
Super Moderator
9,994 Posts
I've been out in 102/103 but it's not to my liking. 90's don't bother me, but when it gets to the triple numbers I tend to wilt fast.. Coldest I've been out in is in the 20's. Heated seat and grips help, but about half way through the ride I ask myself "WHY"....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Like Dan we also bought evaporative cooling vests and they work. When the started drying out we stopped at a gas station and re-wetted them in the sink-only takes a couple minutes. We also keep water bottles on the trike. It does get hot in Texas but it's just much more fun to ride than not! Just take extra precautions to rest a little more, stop in the shade, stay hydrated.
Ride with the angels surrounding you!
God bless,
Angelmammaw

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I wouldn't say the hotter the better like Gordo, but have ridden in temps like that and the main thing is to take on plenty of water and use a cotton long sleeved shirt and sun screen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I rode Stella about 30 miles today in 88 degrees with a short sleeve shirt and did not have to wet down my head because the inside of my helmet was soaking wet when I took it off, I can't wait for 30 or 50 degree weather to get back.
Jerry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts