Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 93 GL1500 SE w/ 31,000 miles which has been triked by Moto Trike. Excellent bike and Iam very happy with it. This summer when it was hot out, say in the 90 degree range, I was having a problem with my right foot getting so hot it made it very uncomfortable to ride. Engine temp was ok. Also there are no exhaust leaks, the bike is as quite as a new one. I noticed when I bought the bike that there was some slight warpage of the cowl around the vent areas and the side light. I have not noticed any problems on the left side. My foot gets the hotest on the highway rest than the floor board. Is this a normal condition or a problem that can be corected? Thanks in advance for your ideas. - Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I had a 98 GL1500 SE and did not notice any problems with a "hot foot". I'm concerned when you mention "warpage" which is not normal. Sounds like something is getting hot around that area. Not sure what resides in that area but I would maybe take off some tupperware and have a look. I'm sure some other folks will have a few suggestions as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I was having the same thoughts about something not being right. Thought I would just throw this out there befor I start taking things apart. Someone out there may have had this experience befor and lead me to what to look for. I have not seen one with the cowl removed and wonder if there is some kind of heat sheild that may be the problem. - Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Found this link that shows the removal of the cowl and lower fairing for the 1500. I've done it and it's not too hard. The lower fairing comes off and you should be able to see if there is a problem...

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500fairingpanels.htm

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Caveman; I'm wondering if when the fans come if you get hot air blowing out both side vents, or just out the right side.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
are the foot warmere open

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made sure all the vents were open and did not notice the air coming thru the vents being hot enough to cause the problem. It seems at all the extremly hot air is coming out the right side vent. Guess I'll have to run it long enough for the fans to come on and I can get down and feel the air comming out the side vents. I'll try and do this tomorrow and report what I find.

·
Super Moderator
7,667 Posts
On the right hand side of the dashboard there is a knob similar to the headlight adjuster on the left. There are 'foot warmer' vents that it controls, you may have to close them or the one on the right could be damaged and in the open position.
On the lower vents mounted about below knee height is a vent with a toggle on it, that could be in the in the down position and is blowing heat off the engine onto you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the right hand side of the dashboard there is a knob similar to the headlight adjuster on the left. There are 'foot warmer' vents that it controls, you may have to close them or the one on the right could be damaged and in the open position.
On the lower vents mounted about below knee height is a vent with a toggle on it, that could be in the in the down position and is blowing heat off the engine onto you.
Thanks Trike Lady -- will check this out today also. - Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I found today( learned alot). Again I have a 93 GL1500 SE. Trike lady was right about the knob on the right. It opens & closes a flap to alow fresh air to inter the vents that are at knee level and the vents behind the handle bars. These vents are ducted from below the lights on each side under the cowl. All these vents can also be closed with the louvers on the vent. The bottom two vents on each side are for heat only and mine really blows good hot air either from the fans or by air passing thru the radiator when riding. Both of these vents have a flap that can be closed & louvers can be closed also. Bike is not over heating, both fans are kicking on and off properly. So now Iam hoping the hot foot problem was the bottom vents were open and the heat off of the highway pavement was probably 110+ degrees. Wished I could check true water temp. with a mechanical guage insted of electronic temp guage.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i asked you if your foot warmers were open

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The warpage you mention still concerns me. If the heated air on your foot is causing the warpage and making your foot uncomfortably warm to the point of pain there is still something amiss. Make sure all your ducts are connected where they should be to the respective vents/outlets. If this is just super heated air from the cooling system and rad (we all know how hot the air coming through a rad can be in extreme heat) like the doc says make sure your foot warmers are closed. One more thing to check is the radiator itself for debris (bugs, plant fluff, leaves) anything that will disrupt the ariflow through the fins and coils. The thermostat will still activate the fans and keep the engine from overheating, but will raise the outflowing air temps significantly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i asked you if your foot warmers were open
On my last reply I said they were open and that I hoped that was part of the problem. I did pull the radiator protectors off and cleaned the radiator real well & blew it out with high pressure air. I have been a mechanic for 48yrs. on auto and etc. but no one knows everything. Now Iam hoping the thermostat is working at the right temp. I did learn alot about the bike by checking out all sugestions you have all came up with. I have not got to ride the bike in hot weather again so I don't know if closing the heater vents will help. Is there any kind of heat shield between the exhaust and the cowl? I have not seen any more warpage of the cowl since I bought the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts