Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 08 Wing in last week for a couple of things. 1st was the brake recall issue, no problem there. Also had a new set of Bridgestones put on, I got 15,000 on the original pair. Also had a set of Show Chrome lower cowling driving lights installed. I received a call from the dealer this Saturday saying it was ready, but he noted a couple of things I should take care of. First the brakes were at 50%, Ok, thanks for the heads up. But the interesting thing he said, was I should think about new head bearings, there was a shimmy when they let go of the bars. I reminded him they replaced the bearings last year with All Balls @ 11,000 miles. I thought that was way too soon based on comments from this site, but they lowered the bike @ 8000 miles and told me that was what caused it, therefore it wasn't a warranty claim. When confronted with the All Balls installed last summer, He backed up, saying it might be the new front tire, where did you purchase the tires, he said. From you I said. Now I'm thinking did I need new bearings last summer?

·
Registered
96 Posts
You should be the one noticing any problems and then ask them about it, it seams like maybe they are hunting for work. It wont hurt to have the bearings installed once, but wanting to change them out to all balls is done by several dealers, especially if you say you have the wobble. Balancing is most of the problem.

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
Hmmm......??????? As a residential repair mechanic, I always like to know the history of what I , or the company , did for a customer before I start pointing fingers at his problems. My personal experience with the " wobble " ? Had it since I had the bike and it continued through a new set of tires. I'm now running a car tire and a newish front tire with Dyna-beads and 5,000 miles later I'm still wobble free. So far I'm convinced that it's the tires , whether it be brand, wear or balance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree on the tires,or balance. Before I started balancing my own tires and I had dealers install new tires and balance them and I noticed the decell wobble would change speeds on me. One brand would do it between 35-40mph and another set would do it between 45-50mph and another set had no wobble at all. nothing changed but the tires and balance. Now that I do my own, it is almost non existant.

·
Premium Member
23,785 Posts
Yes sir, Wingmaster. When the time comes to replace the steering head bearings of course I will replace with All Balls. Many new Wing owners were complaining about the wobble and the stock answer to their problem was " get All Balls bearings ". My experience says different so far.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I would never darken the door of that dealer again!
1. The head bearings do not need replaced at a mere 11K miles
2. One is never to remove your hands from the bars. You will experience head shake/wobble on decel doing that to varying degrees depending on a lot of other influences.
3. How was the bike lowered?????? How did he explain this caused the need for bearing replacement?????????????
4. If he then blamed the new tire-did he offer to replace it once told he installed it????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts