Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Wing surges at Idle speed, I have had a shop check the bike as they pulled the bike in the shop it shut down, which has happened twice before, they contacted Honda Tech and they instructed them to do the proceedure to reset the ECM, and no change, the Dealer is attempting to find out what Honda is going to do about this problem which seems to effect only 2010, since I was at the shop, they informed me that 2 more owners of 2010 Wings have come in with the same problem. I can't say what is wrong with these bikes, but I can say it's very frustrating to get the run around from Honda Motors, and the problem is not resolved none the least of which it's DANGERIOUS, particularly when the bike shuts down, but so far it's fallen on seemingly deaf ears, at Honda Tech, this is not a problem for a shop to figure out it's Honda's responsibility to figure out why this problem is effecting the 2010's and provide the shop with the cure ! Hopefully soon !

If there is anyone who has had this problem and knows how to cure it, I sure would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can do the reset yourself. From cold, start the bike, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE, let it run until the fans kick on, turn it off and then restart it, that will reset the ECM., surging idle happens on other year Wings, not only the 2010. Your shop should know that. Most shops have no idea about Gold Wings because they don't see enough of them to know much. I hope he didn't tell you that you need a 600 mile service, because you don't.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
When you mention the bike shuts down does this mean engine only or entire electrical system goes off line and nothing is working (Lights, audio, turn signals and etc.)?
I have two ideas of what may be causing the engine shut down.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Well now the fun begins as I explain this.
At the ECM 33P black connector is the A-16, this black lead comes from the Regulator/Rectifier. The 4 place connector at the alternator black wire goes to the ECM to the A-16, there could be a loose pin/socket at either end, the black wire could have internal damage (broken) that as long as its cold it has contact as soon as it gets warm it breaks contact.
The internals of the reg/rec could also be malfunctioning as they get warm and the monitored voltage drops to the point where the ECM reads a shut down of power, thus shutting the engine off.
Now this black wire connects to the FR of the reg/rec. It could very well be a defective reg/rec.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yhis may sound too simple. Try a better quality fuel. Not higher octane, just better brand name.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
i experienced this problem on a arctic cat 4 wheeler. found a loose pin at the ecm as trike lady suggested. they had to replace the whole wireing harness.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I hope you find a different Honda shop to take the bike to and hopefully one where someone understands electrical and electronic problems. Because the problem could be something as simple as miscommunication between components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts