Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know the best engine oil for Goldwing motorcyle 1800cc, registered year 2008. TQ!
please response.

:)

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
you can do a search for oil topics but what is the best is up to you. you may not like the brand i use

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you want to go with synthetic use either Amsoil or Shell Rotella T, If you use regular use the Honda stuff 10W30.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
What you want is:

Regardless of Brand, Synthetic or Petroleum, Always use a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but never MB.

If anyone tells you that there is no difference between an auto/diesel oil and a Motorcyle oil, they are mistaken.

Look at the G-2156 link in our Sig and pick one of the top 3 finishers.

Bob

·
Registered
15 Posts
About the only thing I have found to be reasonably priced at the local Honda dealers is their semi-synthetic Honda oil. I used it in my Nighthawk and my Concours. I bought some for my new Goldwing for the next oil change.

I have heard a lot about Shell Rotella T being used in various bikes. It is an outstanding oil for diesel or gas engines. But I have always stuck with oil rated for motorcycles where the transmission shares oil with the engine. And, some of the oils rated for motorcycle use are not that much more than a premium automotive oil.

When I used other oils, it was either Castrol or Valvoline. But I would probably give the nod to the Honda oil, because it was often less expensive than motorcycle oils at Checker or Napa.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I commend you for your choice of a Motorcycle Specific oil.

I don't keep it a secret that I am not a lover of Rotella in a Motorcycle. It does not have the proper ratings which is API SG/SH. A higher API Rating may be used if it has a JASO MA.

Regardless of Brand, Synthetic or petroleum, I recommend the use of a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but never MB. There is a difference between M/C Specific and auto/diesel oils. If anyone tells tou different, they have been misinformed and passing on bad information.

As far as Rotella, They no longer have a stand alone CI-4 oil, just the new CJ-4 which does have friction modifiers in it.

As far as cost of oil. You didn't buy a Wing because it was less expensive than another Brand of bike. And we all know it is not less expensive to maintain a bike than a car. Heck, I spend $200.00 every 8000 miles to have a rear tire put on where you can just about buy 4 for a small car and go 50,000 miles.

I don't want to spend any more than necessary either but I do believe in running the best oil and filter you can.

Oil, is the Life Blood of your engine. The Oil Filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

I will tell you that the Honda GN-4 and HP-4 oils are not too bad. As far as the filter. Who makes it this year ?

Good isn't cheap
Cheap isn't good

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree with Bob. Save on some chrome that does not lengthen the life of your engine but never scrimp on oil or tires. Too much at stake with either of them. I ran Mobil 1 in my 02VTX1800 and it has nearly 150k on it. No problems. Amsoil and Royal Purple are some of the finest oils made and you can generally extend your oil change intervals with either. I do not and change as recommended or sooner. I like to change my oil and it still look new, makes me feel as if I am doing the engine some good. I change the oil at 5k intervals on the X but will probably go to 10k on the Wing.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Thanks Raider,

With the use of the AMSOIL EA Series Filter and AMSOIL M/C Specific oil, you can safely double your change interval.

I have at least one Winger using AMSOIL with over 400,000 miles and several with over 300,000

Yes, it can be done with regular oil and frequent changes. But most, if not all of those, are running extended drains.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks Raider,

With the use of the AMSOIL EA Series Filter and AMSOIL M/C Specific oil, you can safely double your change interval.

I have at least one Winger using AMSOIL with over 400,000 miles and several with over 300,000

Yes, it can be done with regular oil and frequent changes. But most, if not all of those, are running extended drains.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

What are your thoughts on Mobile 1 10W40 synthetic for the 1800? I know it is not energy conserving but I don't know about the JASO rating.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I always used Honda's synthetic blend 10W40 in my 98 GL1500 and now in my 09 GL1800. It has worked fine for me and it eliminates any problem with compatability or questions if I have a warranty issue. There are other good oils out there, but I chose Honda.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
What are your thoughts on Mobile 1 10W40 synthetic for the 1800? I know it is not energy conserving but I don't know about the JASO rating.
If you are talking M-1 Automotive oil, my thoughts are.... Absolutely NOT !

If you are using the Proper Mobil 1 Racing 4T, it is a very good oil.

Although, My prices are compareable to the 4T, we outperform it and we are capable of an extended drain interval if out filter is used.

So, in a 'cost per mile' comparison, we come out about half the cost as the M-1

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I always used Honda's synthetic blend 10W40 in my 98 GL1500 and now in my 09 GL1800. It has worked fine for me and it eliminates any problem with compatability or questions if I have a warranty issue. There are other good oils out there, but I chose Honda.
The Honda GN 4 and HP 4 are not bad oils.. There are better oils out there, no doubt about it, but your choice is still good.

There is no problem with warranty REGARDLESS of Brand as long as it is oil with the proper specifications.. No matter what a Dealer may say. A Dealer can't void a warranty for anything.

One reason that I do not recommend Rotella is that it does not have the proper specs printed on the label or in the Data Sheet on Shell's website...

As I say:

REGARDLESS of Brand, Synthetic or petroleum, use a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but Never MB.

Oil, is the LifeBlood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Just my $.02 here, but I'm going to the Amsoil when I change it next. The most recent test I read it was vastly superior than everything as I posted in another thread. The Honda is OK but drastically breaks down in several test areas, as did the Spectro, Motul and a couple other high end synthetics. As for the filter Bob is bang on on that one, Honda contracts them out annually, so who knows what they're made of? If the Amsoil can let a Victory air/oil coiled engine go over 200k a GL engine will likely last forever. Now if we can just get by this air filter boondoggle...:p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oil

Oil is like everything else, a personal choice. I have used many oils and have had great luck w mobil 1, Amsoil, and Royal Purple. All are very fine oils. The synthetic blends are blends of quality synthetic and regular oil, you still habe the weak link in your engine. Now let me say that any quality oil changed properly will be sufficient for most riders. Personally I believe the extra cost of a quality full synthetic oil is a small price to pay for some added protection on a very quality m/c, and by quality I mean expensive. Oil is the lifeblood of your engine and it's first line of defense in harsh conditions, especially heat. Regular oils tend to break down faster and protect less when heat Is added or hydrocarbons start breaking down the oils.

Moral of this is too just spend the "extra" money on the better quality synthetics. You WILL notice a difference now and in the future. Honda will not hassle you at all if there is a warranty issue and you are using synthetics as long as you have the receipts. If they even try, just call them out on it. Never had an issue with this, ever.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If you are talking M-1 Automotive oil, my thoughts are.... Absolutely NOT !

If you are using the Proper Mobil 1 Racing 4T, it is a very good oil.

Although, My prices are compareable to the 4T, we outperform it and we are capable of an extended drain interval if out filter is used.

So, in a 'cost per mile' comparison, we come out about half the cost as the M-1

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob
I was indeed talking about the Mobile I 10W40 automobile oil (though I have used MX4T in the past). What is the reason you would not use it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Mobil 1 oil works just fine. I have used it in my X's exclusively and have 150k on one and 50k on the other and that is just wot the m1 auto. Not sure what improvement they could have made for it to be MC specific, but who knows. I will probably try the Amsoil exclusively in the wing. See if I can get 200k plus out of this. Of course, both of the X's are still running perfect!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts