Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I would like to know the best engine oil for Goldwing motorcyle 1800cc, registered year 2008. TQ!
please response.

:)

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Get: I used Spectro 10w40 for years and was very happy with it. Lots of riders use Amsoil and swear by it, just as Motul 300v, Mobil MX4T, whatever. As long as it is indeed m/c formulated (with proper certification-read the label: no moly, no friction reducing agents) you could try several before finding one you're perfectly satisfied with. My bike is still so new I'm sticking with the Honda product for now. I'd go back to Spectro in a shot, but am having trouble locating a supplier here in Canada now.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I have always used Honda Synthetic Blend 10w40 in my GL1500 and now in my 09 GL1800. Changed filter with every change also.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
01 to 06 called for 10W40, 07 and newer calls for 10W30. I used Shell Rotella fully sunthetic 5W40, in my 02 and so do many many Gold Wing riders on the GWRRA board. It's a great oil and you can get it at Wal-mart for about $25.00 a gallon. It's safe for all year Gold Wings.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
What you want is:

Regardless of Brand, Synthetic or Petroleum, Always use a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but never MB.

If anyone tells you that there is no difference between an auto/diesel oil and a Motorcyle oil, they are mistaken.

Look at the G-2156 link in our Sig and pick one of the top 3 finishers.

Bob

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I usee Castrol 10W40 in my 92 for over 100,000 miles and no problem, Several friends used it also for hundred of thousands of miles. If you look at the Gold Wing Road Riders board you will see most GW owners use Shell Rotella T fully synthetic and it is approved for the Gold Wing, it says on their web site and approved by Stu Oatman the teck man for Gold Wings in Wing World. As long as you change it often you will have no problem no matter which oil you choose as long as it's not energy conserving, that will make your clutch slip, when is the last time you heard of an oil related problem or failure on a Gold Wing?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The oil you "Used for years" or what anyone else has "Used for years" has no bearing today. Oils have changed in less than 12 months, much less years. You can "get by" using some oils or, you can do as I did with me Wing and, my other bikes, use the proper oil for the application.

Even though the Wing has probably the best transmission in the M/C Industry, you can feel the difference in shift quality using a Premium Synthetic M/C oil such as AMSOIL M/C oils or M-1 Racing 4T.

I could be wrong but, I don't think there is anything that says Rotella is "Approved" for M/C use, just that it can be used. And Rotella has no True Synthetic, they are Group III Base Stocks and Shell's MSDS state 92-98.9% Petroleum. Is it a good oil ? Yes. For Diesels...

A High quality M/C oil will have a high TBN, Higher amounts of ZDDP for cam wear, Specific additives for clutch performance, higher Anti-Rust and Corrosion Inhibitors and Specific additives for the transmission...

Oil, is the Life Blood of youe engine. The Oil Filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

Regardless of Brand, Synthetic or petroleum, I always recommend a M/C Specific oil with a JASO MA Rating, better yet, MA 2, but never MB.

If anyone says that there is no difference between M/C oil and auto/diesel oils, they are misinformed.

Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should also consider Mobile 1 synthetic. I use it in any gasoline auto or bike. I use Amsoil in my Diesel engines. I did much research before making those choices.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Honda has a new fully synthetic oil which is SAE30W. You can't go wrong using their product.
I believe you are referring to the HP-4 which is not a bad oil. It is a 10W-30, not a 30 weight. It would be a little tough starting in cooler temps with a 30 weight and a lack of lubrication on startup.

We also carry a 10W-30 Motorcycle Specific oil, product code MCT which carries a JASO MA 2 Rating. The Highest clutch performance rating available.

We have special Forum Member pricing on all AMSOIL Products.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts